Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

121,000 miles later...
By realrideracing

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

... our 2004 E320 4Matic is still running like a champ! No significant mechanical issues and the car has never left us stranded. We keep it in the garage (our 2015 GLK350 gets the carport parking) and keep up on all the maintenance religiously. Get the E500 if you want a rocketship. We're happy with the trusty M112 V6 engine. Enough power for most applications yet provides decent fuel mileage. It's a much more desirable engine than the dreaded M272 in the 2006 - 2009 E350 that was prone to balance shaft failures (there's even a class action suit against Mercedes for this now). Handling is decent for a wagon but eats tires.

Favorite Features

The car continues to amaze me each time I drive it. Some of the technology in this 11 year old car is just appearing in some of the brand new cars of other brands. The design and build quality are outstanding and people are still amazed that it's a 2004. Even in posh Los Angeles restaurants, the valet parks the car in the highest visibility spots. Who needs an SUV with the amount of interior space you get in the wagon! Sound system is fantastic. Driving position is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Some interior parts are prone to breakage easily such as sun visors, the butterfly buttons on the center console, and the dreaded cup holders that never seem to last more than 2 months! As for user interface, well, the command system is a nightmare to figure out. It's completely counter intuitive and the commands are inconsistently laid out. When buying a used one, check for Thrust Arm bushing wear, SBC brake update (factory recall), and leaking Fuel Tank gaskets (factory recall).

Does not live up to its name
By Tom Williams

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car when it works, but we have had tons of suspension, braking and electrical problems. Fixing anything costs at least an arm and a leg. This is my very last Benz. German engineering just means "expensive to fix".

Favorite Features

Throaty exhaust roar.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is too complicated and unreliable.

Awesome, but no improvement over previous
By dan

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Feels very solid and tank like as should any Mercedes. I should advise any interested buyers to highly consider the more expensive E500 wagon cause 221 hp isn't going to keep this two ton wagon up to speed with any Porsches. All in all a still excellent buy (not cheap though). My previous 2000 E320 wagon looked almost exactly the same even though there was a redesign last year. Very comfortable and relaxing to drive for long and quick trips. navigation system isnt that complicating, ride quality is amazing, and 4MATIC works great in foul weather. My rear window just randomly stopped functioning but other than that reliability has been decent. I timed a 0-60 run of about 8 seconds

Favorite Features

COMMAND, 4MATIC, silky smooth ride and transmission

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power! 0-60 in 8 seconds is not your typical Benz! Needs to be more distinguished from previous model

E-500 Wagon tires
By rassr

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a superb touring vehicle with comfort, and all-around good performance. Original tires, Continental ContiTouring, were a problem. The rear tires had little wear left on them at 7000 miles, the fronts would have lasted a little longer. Upon complaining, MB service dept told me they were a high performance tire with a very soft compound. I think they were unsuitable for 98 per cent of the users who purchase this car. Advice if buying this vehicle? Look at the DOT rating stamped on the sidewall. Anything less than 400 ask for a different tire. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza's with a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty. There's no difference in ride, comfort or handling.

Favorite Features

Quietness and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Match the tires to American roads, not the Autobahn, and don't try to impress prospective buyers with a too-soft tire which will seem great for ride, but with an unsuspecting buyer being stuck for premature tire replacement.

This Car is Near Perfect!
By MAPC

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is absolutely fantastic. I have owned many other luxury imports, including several MB's and this car beats all of them HANDS DOWN! The car is the perfect size- when I am driving alone it doesn't feel excessive, when I need to take clients out it is luxurious and comfortable, and when I take the kids our the 3rd row keeps them (and their mess) out of the passenger compartment. The car just plain feels right. From a handling perspective, the car sticks to the road like glue. I have owned a Porsche 911 and this sticks as tightly as the Porsche. I don't know if it is the rubber, the 4Matic, or what, but it all works beautifully. I cannot describe how happy I am with this purchase.

Favorite Features

First and foremost, the traction. Next, the overall solidity and smoothness of the vehicle. Finally, the electonics (incl. the voice- activated controls, the GPS and the integrated phone are great.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to improve, but, if I had to name something, I'd say the wiring and phone should be Bluetooth capable and I wouldn't mind slighly better gas mileage (22-23 mpg highway thus far).