2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Does not live up to its name
By Tom Williams on 05/11/10 12:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car when it works, but we have had tons of suspension, braking and electrical problems. Fixing anything costs at least an arm and a leg. This is my very last Benz. German engineering just means "expensive to fix".

Awesome, but no improvement over previous
By dan on 11/11/07 21:26 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Feels very solid and tank like as should any Mercedes. I should advise any interested buyers to highly consider the more expensive E500 wagon cause 221 hp isn't going to keep this two ton wagon up to speed with any Porsches. All in all a still excellent buy (not cheap though). My previous 2000 E320 wagon looked almost exactly the same even though there was a redesign last year. Very comfortable and relaxing to drive for long and quick trips. navigation system isnt that complicating, ride quality is amazing, and 4MATIC works great in foul weather. My rear window just randomly stopped functioning but other than that reliability has been decent. I timed a 0-60 run of about 8 seconds

E-500 Wagon tires
By rassr on 11/30/04 12:04 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a superb touring vehicle with comfort, and all-around good performance. Original tires, Continental ContiTouring, were a problem. The rear tires had little wear left on them at 7000 miles, the fronts would have lasted a little longer. Upon complaining, MB service dept told me they were a high performance tire with a very soft compound. I think they were unsuitable for 98 per cent of the users who purchase this car. Advice if buying this vehicle? Look at the DOT rating stamped on the sidewall. Anything less than 400 ask for a different tire. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza's with a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty. There's no difference in ride, comfort or handling.

This Car is Near Perfect!
By MAPC on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is absolutely fantastic. I have owned many other luxury imports, including several MB's and this car beats all of them HANDS DOWN! The car is the perfect size- when I am driving alone it doesn't feel excessive, when I need to take clients out it is luxurious and comfortable, and when I take the kids our the 3rd row keeps them (and their mess) out of the passenger compartment. The car just plain feels right. From a handling perspective, the car sticks to the road like glue. I have owned a Porsche 911 and this sticks as tightly as the Porsche. I don't know if it is the rubber, the 4Matic, or what, but it all works beautifully. I cannot describe how happy I am with this purchase.

Still the only 7-seater wagon out there
By A.Thomas on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I had a '98 E320 4 matic wagon and loved it. The 2004 model sacrifices some interior room but is more elegant looking and more fun to drive than the older model, and after initial skepticism I really like the voice- activated controls and navigation system.

E320 4matic
By leslir on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car and amazingly fun to drive. We love the extra interior room without having to drive an SUV. What a nice change after 12 Years of SUV's. Reliable and sticks right to the road even on snow (we have AWD option). This one is a keeper.

Great city & country sports car feel
By Fred Dorfman on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent ride, great handling, lots of room. We are waiting for our new leased one to arrive. It handles well, is demure, but can really handle speed and curves.

Early 2004 E320S4
By Phil Lefebvre on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our new 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon for 2 weeks. It's early, but so far it's a gem. The new 4Matic systems seems very sophisticated. Three points of minor interest: the fuel milage seems not to be as good as the 2003, on ours, the compass isn't working right and the 3rd seat head room seems less than on the 2003 - a trade-off with aerodynamics, I'm sure. Nevertheless, the car feels solid and well planted on the road.