2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Great Wagon but the Transmission.
By hamil65 on 08/12/11 15:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this for my wife with only 20k 4-years ago and the car has been great except the transmission. The 722.6 transmission was problem in the older E320 and still is. The TCU connector seal failed which Mercedes had an updated part but then in leaked later on also. Read some forums and I'm not alone. Even the new 722.9 Transmissions are having issues. I have owned 4 Mercedes and all the transmissions have had issues.

Long rule the Sport-Lux Wagon
By MW on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the ultimate family vehicle and we don't look for a second at suv's or hybrid vans or whatever. Practical, sporty, smooth, clean lines, great ergo, wow wow wow. Bought all the roof bling, rack, bike rack, cargo box from Mercedes-Benz

Does not live up to its name
By Tom Williams on 05/11/10 12:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car when it works, but we have had tons of suspension, braking and electrical problems. Fixing anything costs at least an arm and a leg. This is my very last Benz. German engineering just means "expensive to fix".

Awesome, but no improvement over previous
By dan on 11/11/07 21:26 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Feels very solid and tank like as should any Mercedes. I should advise any interested buyers to highly consider the more expensive E500 wagon cause 221 hp isn't going to keep this two ton wagon up to speed with any Porsches. All in all a still excellent buy (not cheap though). My previous 2000 E320 wagon looked almost exactly the same even though there was a redesign last year. Very comfortable and relaxing to drive for long and quick trips. navigation system isnt that complicating, ride quality is amazing, and 4MATIC works great in foul weather. My rear window just randomly stopped functioning but other than that reliability has been decent. I timed a 0-60 run of about 8 seconds

Not so happy
By Kathy Reichenbaum on 12/04/04 09:50 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

A serious problem with a loud banging noise- and feels like a flat tire- in shop for the second time- was told it was the 4-matic system this is a $70,000 car. Not fixed yet. I have 4,000 mi. on the car. Mercedes is not what it used to be.I own many cars. I feel the quality of this car is poor. I also feel that Mercedes is not being responsible enough for quality control.

E-500 Wagon tires
By rassr on 11/30/04 12:04 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a superb touring vehicle with comfort, and all-around good performance. Original tires, Continental ContiTouring, were a problem. The rear tires had little wear left on them at 7000 miles, the fronts would have lasted a little longer. Upon complaining, MB service dept told me they were a high performance tire with a very soft compound. I think they were unsuitable for 98 per cent of the users who purchase this car. Advice if buying this vehicle? Look at the DOT rating stamped on the sidewall. Anything less than 400 ask for a different tire. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza's with a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty. There's no difference in ride, comfort or handling.

This Car is Near Perfect!
By MAPC on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is absolutely fantastic. I have owned many other luxury imports, including several MB's and this car beats all of them HANDS DOWN! The car is the perfect size- when I am driving alone it doesn't feel excessive, when I need to take clients out it is luxurious and comfortable, and when I take the kids our the 3rd row keeps them (and their mess) out of the passenger compartment. The car just plain feels right. From a handling perspective, the car sticks to the road like glue. I have owned a Porsche 911 and this sticks as tightly as the Porsche. I don't know if it is the rubber, the 4Matic, or what, but it all works beautifully. I cannot describe how happy I am with this purchase.

One great car
By windstar v on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Mercedes outdid themselves with this one. It is a pleasure to drive under all conditions.

Presets in Steering wheel
By WilliamMann on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I cannot believe the IDIOTS at the top of Mercedes, they made a decision that someone should be fired for! The comfort steering wheel is ANYTHING but that. The Sterio arrows in steering wheel just Scan the stations and do NOT skip to your presets as THEY SHOULD! The dealer said they changed this for this years model - ARE THEY NUTS!!! I'm So upset that I spent 70K & I also have to hold the preset for Memorie seating too instead of a One touch like the Caddys. Really silly stuff that could have been great! SHAME to the executives making BONE HEAD decisions.

WHY I PAID MORE
By MICHAEL M on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

OVER PRICED BUT WORTH THE MONEY. AS OWNER OF A BMW 5 SERIES, PLEASENTLY SUPRISED WITH THE HANDLING OF MY SPORTS MODEL E320.