Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

121,000 miles later...
By realrideracing

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

... our 2004 E320 4Matic is still running like a champ! No significant mechanical issues and the car has never left us stranded. We keep it in the garage (our 2015 GLK350 gets the carport parking) and keep up on all the maintenance religiously. Get the E500 if you want a rocketship. We're happy with the trusty M112 V6 engine. Enough power for most applications yet provides decent fuel mileage. It's a much more desirable engine than the dreaded M272 in the 2006 - 2009 E350 that was prone to balance shaft failures (there's even a class action suit against Mercedes for this now). Handling is decent for a wagon but eats tires.

Favorite Features

The car continues to amaze me each time I drive it. Some of the technology in this 11 year old car is just appearing in some of the brand new cars of other brands. The design and build quality are outstanding and people are still amazed that it's a 2004. Even in posh Los Angeles restaurants, the valet parks the car in the highest visibility spots. Who needs an SUV with the amount of interior space you get in the wagon! Sound system is fantastic. Driving position is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Some interior parts are prone to breakage easily such as sun visors, the butterfly buttons on the center console, and the dreaded cup holders that never seem to last more than 2 months! As for user interface, well, the command system is a nightmare to figure out. It's completely counter intuitive and the commands are inconsistently laid out. When buying a used one, check for Thrust Arm bushing wear, SBC brake update (factory recall), and leaking Fuel Tank gaskets (factory recall).

Great Wagon but the Transmission.
By hamil65

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this for my wife with only 20k 4-years ago and the car has been great except the transmission. The 722.6 transmission was problem in the older E320 and still is. The TCU connector seal failed which Mercedes had an updated part but then in leaked later on also. Read some forums and I'm not alone. Even the new 722.9 Transmissions are having issues. I have owned 4 Mercedes and all the transmissions have had issues.

Favorite Features

Love the ride, the style and interior layout. Great room for the dogs.

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION!

Long rule the Sport-Lux Wagon
By MW

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the ultimate family vehicle and we don't look for a second at suv's or hybrid vans or whatever. Practical, sporty, smooth, clean lines, great ergo, wow wow wow. Bought all the roof bling, rack, bike rack, cargo box from Mercedes-Benz

Favorite Features

Everything. This car is so together. The five of us jumped in the wagon and drove from Cincinnati to NYC at a spurs moment and the vehicle brought us there so refreshed. Had the in-laws visit and w/ rear fold-down seat all seven of us could ride in style to church. (Kids in back of course)

Suggested Improvements

Built-in USB ports would be nice for gadgets but then I have to remind myself that I'm driving a 6-year old car. Hard to fathom!!

Does not live up to its name
By Tom Williams

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car when it works, but we have had tons of suspension, braking and electrical problems. Fixing anything costs at least an arm and a leg. This is my very last Benz. German engineering just means "expensive to fix".

Favorite Features

Throaty exhaust roar.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is too complicated and unreliable.

Awesome, but no improvement over previous
By dan

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Feels very solid and tank like as should any Mercedes. I should advise any interested buyers to highly consider the more expensive E500 wagon cause 221 hp isn't going to keep this two ton wagon up to speed with any Porsches. All in all a still excellent buy (not cheap though). My previous 2000 E320 wagon looked almost exactly the same even though there was a redesign last year. Very comfortable and relaxing to drive for long and quick trips. navigation system isnt that complicating, ride quality is amazing, and 4MATIC works great in foul weather. My rear window just randomly stopped functioning but other than that reliability has been decent. I timed a 0-60 run of about 8 seconds

Favorite Features

COMMAND, 4MATIC, silky smooth ride and transmission

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power! 0-60 in 8 seconds is not your typical Benz! Needs to be more distinguished from previous model