Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

He's still going strong!
By S. Olsen

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 in October 2006 with 22K miles. He has 165K now. Drove him all over the place. He's been to ATL and back to So Cal. Weather in ATL (Snow & Ice) and high heat and humidity. Work horse. I have had him serviced at OC Benz for years and in ATL, Revolution in Decatur, GA. Yes, he has had a few issues: air compressor on back hatch; rear air shocks; fuel injector, .... but on average I have put 2K a year in maintenance and the larger items. Still drives like a dream. Plan to drive for another year or two. Love this car and would love to purchase another.

Car of my Dreams with Perpetual Maintenance!
By David Koscielniak

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Mercedes E320 Wagon new from the dealer and it was an incredible driving and great looking car. I took perfect care of this vehicle: kept it looking showroom perfect, always dealer maintained, and did all the services as scheduled. I was really hoping this car would last us a real long time with minimal problems. I was sadly mistaken. Early on things started breaking - even under warranty. Little things like the auto cargo shade stopped working that the dealer tried to fix. Then as the warranty expired, the real repair started. The air suspension went out right at 50,000 miles. This costs over $1000 per wheel to fix. The dealer agreed to do this repair under warranty - BUT IT FAILED A TOTAL OF 4 TIMES! When it fails, it leaves you stranded. Main oil seals failed (BIG repair $), the main computer fried in the middle of an I-10 trip and left us stranded because the AC lines sweated on the electronics. We hit a pothole driving 5 MPH and the wheel strut bent. Engine mounts failed. More and more small electronics failed: auto headrests didn't go down, steering column adjustment didn't work, window spray lines broke... The frequency and cost of repairs was really mindboggling. After the 4th failure of the air suspension (that left us stranded yet again on the interstate) and a $1300 alternator replacement we finally traded the vehicle in for close to nothing. I know many of you are saying to quit griping with the repairs - its an expensive import car. We realize that. However we really expected the quality of this car to be much better than what we got. It literally became so unreliable we couldn't trust it for much of anything. But it looks awesome and when it runs - it gives you a ride you cant beat!

121,000 miles later...
By realrideracing

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

... our 2004 E320 4Matic is still running like a champ! No significant mechanical issues and the car has never left us stranded. We keep it in the garage (our 2015 GLK350 gets the carport parking) and keep up on all the maintenance religiously.
Get the E500 if you want a rocketship. We're happy with the trusty M112 V6 engine. Enough power for most applications yet provides decent fuel mileage. It's a much more desirable engine than the dreaded M272 in the 2006 - 2009 E350 that was prone to balance shaft failures (there's even a class action suit against Mercedes for this now).
Handling is decent for a wagon but eats tires.

The car continues to amaze me each time I drive it. Some of the technology in this 11 year old car is just appearing in some of the brand new cars of other brands. The design and build quality are outstanding and people are still amazed that it's a 2004. Even in posh Los Angeles restaurants, the valet parks the car in the highest visibility spots. Who needs an SUV with the amount of interior space you get in the wagon! Sound system is fantastic. Driving position is perfect.

Some interior parts are prone to breakage easily such as sun visors, the butterfly buttons on the center console, and the dreaded cup holders that never seem to last more than 2 months! As for user interface, well, the command system is a nightmare to figure out. It's completely counter intuitive and the commands are inconsistently laid out. When buying a used one, check for Thrust Arm bushing wear, SBC brake update (factory recall), and leaking Fuel Tank gaskets (factory recall).

Great Wagon but the Transmission.
By hamil65

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this for my wife with only 20k 4-years ago and the car has been great except the transmission.
The 722.6 transmission was problem in the older E320 and still is.
The TCU connector seal failed which Mercedes had an updated part but then in leaked later on also.
Read some forums and I'm not alone.
Even the new 722.9 Transmissions are having issues.
I have owned 4 Mercedes and all the transmissions have had issues.

Love the ride, the style and interior layout. Great room for the dogs.

TRANSMISSION!

Long rule the Sport-Lux Wagon
By MW

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the ultimate family vehicle and we don't look for a second at suv's or hybrid vans or whatever. Practical, sporty, smooth, clean lines, great ergo, wow wow wow. Bought all the roof bling, rack, bike rack, cargo box from Mercedes-Benz

Everything. This car is so together. The five of us jumped in the wagon and drove from Cincinnati to NYC at a spurs moment and the vehicle brought us there so refreshed. Had the in-laws visit and w/ rear fold-down seat all seven of us could ride in style to church. (Kids in back of course)

Built-in USB ports would be nice for gadgets but then I have to remind myself that I'm driving a 6-year old car. Hard to fathom!!