Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

The "Water Buffalo" Just Keeps Going Effortlessly
By realrideracing

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We've nicknamed our E320 the "Water Buffalo" simply because it's the work horse. She is as reliable as any car I've owned (and I've owned a lot!), just gets you to your destination effortlessly and smoothly, pretty comfy ride, handles well, and is all round a good solid car. Even in Los Angeles where everybody drives fancy cars, the valet still parks our E320 in the front. It just looks like an elegant and classy car.

Favorite Features

Firm yet comfortable ride. Just a super reliable car! Keep up on the maintenance and you'll have no problems with this car. I'm not sure what kind of paint Mercedes uses, but this car has lived a hard life in the Southern California sun, yet continues to shine like it just came off the showroom! At 114,000 miles, our E320 feels like it'll run another 200,000 miles easily! If you're considering one, don't hesitate! Get it!

Suggested Improvements

Suspension thrust bearings are regular failures on these cars. Expect to spend about $1,800 to repair them.

Mercedes should be ashamed of their internal build quality
By daiku

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First, the engine, and ride have been great, but the internal comfort features on this $60K have been terrible. 4 front cup holders replaced @$80 each Keyless go doors dont' work and need repair and redesign Replaced thee rear DOOR latch on the right passenger side so my daughter could get out of the vehicle $685!. Rear sunscreen not functioning (MB are notorious for this problem, yet the still don't have a better design from Bosch). First and Last MB. I bought the car for my wife who always wanted one, but never again. Toyota's are much bettter built. As a person of German heritage, I am ashamed at this vehicle! Embarrassment to not stand behind these problems out of warranty

Favorite Features

Drive quality Noise level

Suggested Improvements

Stop sticking it to customers for parts! Most of this stuff is MB quality issues that customers shouldn't be gouged for. 3rd parties aren't able to work on these at a competitive price, unfair! Lack of access to tools! Stop de-contenting the car to increase profits. Quality should be there on the electronics, but they aren't

Not worth the $$$$
By DLB19

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Generally, it is an "OK" vehicle. Having said that, "OK" is not good enough for a MB vehicle. Based on the brand and the price, I am very disappointed in both my MBs. Our E-Class had to have a part in the heater replaced, which was several hundred dollars. That repair was shortly followed by the front suspension wearing out, which cost a couple thousand dollars. All these repairs were needed prior to 80,000 miles. I wouldn't expect these type of issues from "any" high end luxury vehicle, much less a Mercedes. The seats are extremely firm, liken to sitting on a cinder block. We also own a ML, which has spent most of it's life in the garage, costing us thousands of dollars.

Favorite Features

The ability to trade it in.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality is pathetic. We have spent approximately 15k in repairs between our two Mercedes. Hope this info is useful to someone out there. We will never own another MB.

Like a rock.
By Senior happy ownwr

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Second buy of E320 series. This one the best, Love dealership and have been careful to adhere to maintenance schedule. Drive long distances and car is quiet and powerful. Ride is stable and responsive. Small electrical problems, radio ect but not a bother. No major repairs, highly recommend. Car is safe in my opinion. I have an extended warranty issued direct by Mercedes and it does provide comfort that if the day comes for some serious trouble that it will be taken care of, at no cost.

Suggested Improvements

None

2004 E320 SPORT
By Vladimir Isov

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I left a review here in March of 2008 when I first bought my Mercedes-Benz. All I have to say is after two years and 28,000 miles I have NOT been left on the side of the road, not even close. All I do is follow the maintenance schedule (the car's computer tells U exactly when to take her in for her maintenance) and put high octane petrol - that's it. By the way, I would take it only to a dealer with CERTIFIED technicians. Also, have a low deductible on your auto insurance. I had a "fender-bender" which cost $11,000 to repair. I know, it's crazy, right? You gotta love MB.

Favorite Features

1. Its dependability. 2. For a 6cyl, its got Power and killer TORQUE! 3. Safety, I crashed and didn't even know it. 4. Looks, she's fine, fine, fine. 5. Traction control, it WILL keep u out of the ditch. 6. The James Bond in-dash CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

1. A dependable Cup Holder. The one I've got pops up ingeniously but gets stuck all the time now. 2. Um, that's it. For a better "driving experience" I would suggest the BMW 330Ci w/manual tranny. Amazing.