Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Very satisfied
By Jim

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car envelops you with luxury like very few cars can. The interior looks hand-made, and the controls have a pleasing action and response. I was turned off when I first saw some posts regarding reliability problems with this model, but after checking the first owner's service records I didn't see anything to worry about. Since then I've only had one major issue (air-ride failure) which was covered under warranty. This car has so many unique and complex features, it's bound to spend some time in the shop. That shouldn't stop you from experiencing E-Class ownership.

Favorite Features

4matic, powerful V8 engine, adjustable air suspension, automatic rear sunshade, bluetooth (aftermarket).

Suggested Improvements

Electronic braking system is great for emergency stops and the dynamic ABS, but the feel is a bit off. You can get used to it but tough at first to achieve a smooth stop. The cup holder is fragile and always in the way. Some shifting weirdness in sport mode.

Mercedes E 500 4matic
By Ahad

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The car is perfect. The car just goes once you put your foot on the gas. The GPS is amazing. The directions it gives you are way better than BMW's GPS system. Other features I like are distronic, it's really helpful on a long drive.I also like the push button starter altough you could get mixed-up when changing the gears. Also the solar panels are great for hot days because when you leave the car outside for a long time the solar panel would use it's energy to keep the car cool.

Favorite Features

GPS. Panoramic sunroof. Solar panels. Distronic and many, many more.

Suggested Improvements

None

Beautiful but Fragile
By osanchez

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned several Mercedes during my life time and I can telll you this has been my worst experience with MB. Three blown tires, broken A arms, broken subframe, bransmission issues and not to mentioned expensive parts and repair costs. This vehicle was made to be driven on air not on realistic day to day roads. I will not recommend this vehicle. Very beautiful but fragile!

Favorite Features

Beautiful exterior and interior looks! Excellent seats and egornomics. Excellent handling.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, air suspension, and all underpart support systems including A arms, subframes, rims, cargo latches. Very fragile!

Never Buy Another One
By jon

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Mercedes has lost its quality of years past. I purchased my E500 and for two years had nothing but problems with it. After 60,000 miles and $10,000 in repairs I traded it in for a Lexus.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the car.

Worst vehicle
By worst vehicle tom

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

After owning Lexus and BMW I was excited when MB offered the E500 4- matic. This vehicle has been nothing but a disappointment. The transmission is not smooth and overrevs. At times there is a delay when starting to accelerate that is unpredictable and dangerous. The braking system is noisy and very hard to adapt to in order to come to a smooth stop. The a/c system is a joke. When it starts to run on hot day it revs so loud people outside the vehicle stare thinking something is wrong. I have had this car back to the dealer numerous times and I am always told that is just the way the car is! I would never recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Appearence

Suggested Improvements

Improve brakes, transmission and noise levels. Fix the acceleration lag.