2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Very satisfied
By Jim on 09/10/08 12:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car envelops you with luxury like very few cars can. The interior looks hand-made, and the controls have a pleasing action and response. I was turned off when I first saw some posts regarding reliability problems with this model, but after checking the first owner's service records I didn't see anything to worry about. Since then I've only had one major issue (air-ride failure) which was covered under warranty. This car has so many unique and complex features, it's bound to spend some time in the shop. That shouldn't stop you from experiencing E-Class ownership.

Mercedes E 500 4matic
By Ahad on 05/12/07 09:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The car is perfect. The car just goes once you put your foot on the gas. The GPS is amazing. The directions it gives you are way better than BMW's GPS system. Other features I like are distronic, it's really helpful on a long drive.I also like the push button starter altough you could get mixed-up when changing the gears. Also the solar panels are great for hot days because when you leave the car outside for a long time the solar panel would use it's energy to keep the car cool.

Beautiful but Fragile
By osanchez on 01/26/07 14:53 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned several Mercedes during my life time and I can telll you this has been my worst experience with MB. Three blown tires, broken A arms, broken subframe, bransmission issues and not to mentioned expensive parts and repair costs. This vehicle was made to be driven on air not on realistic day to day roads. I will not recommend this vehicle. Very beautiful but fragile!

Never Buy Another One
By jon on 10/23/06 10:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Mercedes has lost its quality of years past. I purchased my E500 and for two years had nothing but problems with it. After 60,000 miles and $10,000 in repairs I traded it in for a Lexus.

Worst vehicle
By worst vehicle tom on 03/25/06 06:34 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

After owning Lexus and BMW I was excited when MB offered the E500 4- matic. This vehicle has been nothing but a disappointment. The transmission is not smooth and overrevs. At times there is a delay when starting to accelerate that is unpredictable and dangerous. The braking system is noisy and very hard to adapt to in order to come to a smooth stop. The a/c system is a joke. When it starts to run on hot day it revs so loud people outside the vehicle stare thinking something is wrong. I have had this car back to the dealer numerous times and I am always told that is just the way the car is! I would never recommend this vehicle.

Fun to Drive
By Dave on 01/31/06 09:13 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This has been an absolutely fun car to drive. It has an incredible amount of power and quickness. I smile everytime I step on the gas. Very smooth and stylish. I own several Mercedes and this is certainly the most fun to drive so far. I also live in a northern climate and when it snows the 4matic is excellent, it will motor right through the snow.

Benz in Trouble
By JFJ on 11/04/05 05:52 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The E class, although elegant, beautifull and world class, has been very disappointing. Reliability, simply stinks! Performance is unpredictible and truck like at times. This is the E5004matic, with the adjustable/adaptive suspension that is at the sport II mode is worse than my replaced Acura MDX 2004. Comfort is subjective, however, the level of noise inside the car is a Ford F150 on a train crossing. The Hydro nonsense brakes are the worst I've had on a car, unpredictible, you simply do not have a clue everytime you want to stop how much pressure you should be applying. The car sticker is 70grand+. That is the problem?! for that much cash EVERY car in its class is a better one?

Back to BMW
By HB on 10/18/05 17:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

How about 6 flat tires in 14 months!?! Have not had 6 flats in 30 years of driving. Low profile tires can't handle any kind of pothole. Major reliability problem. Also - quirkiness of accelration and braking makes driving experience less enjoyable. Strange buzzing and vibration from various motors also hurts the experience. Too many weird characteristics for a $60k+ dream car. I'm selling and buying a Bimmer.

Hot Car
By Rick_MB on 08/16/05 00:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Excellent handling and stability with an almost surgical attachment to the road when cornering a little too fast for those hairpin turns. Pickup very good although I debated between the 320 and the 500 won out, I almost wish I went for the E55 AMG which would have taken my horses from 302 to 467. Reliability as compared to my 2002 ML is far in away better although I've got under 10k miles and have yet to see the yellow ! go on for any AWD action. Contour seats seem to breathe around you and those bladders fill and empty whenever you take a curve at high speed and it senses the g forces to hold you firmly in place. And the girls seem to like it also.

Fulfilled Expectations
By Henry Beer on 04/09/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2004 E500 4matic last June. it was built for me to my specs. I did not get the nav system and other electronic bells and whistles, but ordered nearly everything else including the Sport and the Winter Package. I had an 84 4Matic which was fraught with trouble. Transfer cases going every 6000 miles. Mercedes was terrific about dealing with this even after warranty, but it sent me to Audi as my next car. Convinced that the new E Class and the four wheel systems had been revisited, I ordered one. Performance, handling, comfort, all the things that matter are superb. The car is mechanically flawless so far. Incredible in Colorado's snowy and high altitude driving conditions.