2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
The "Water Buffalo" Just Keeps Going Effortlessly
By realrideracing on 02/13/13 14:56 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We've nicknamed our E320 the "Water Buffalo" simply because it's the work horse. She is as reliable as any car I've owned (and I've owned a lot!), just gets you to your destination effortlessly and smoothly, pretty comfy ride, handles well, and is all round a good solid car. Even in Los Angeles where everybody drives fancy cars, the valet still parks our E320 in the front. It just looks like an elegant and classy car.

Mercedes should be ashamed of their internal build quality
By daiku on 09/29/11 15:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First, the engine, and ride have been great, but the internal comfort features on this $60K have been terrible. 4 front cup holders replaced @$80 each Keyless go doors dont' work and need repair and redesign Replaced thee rear DOOR latch on the right passenger side so my daughter could get out of the vehicle $685!. Rear sunscreen not functioning (MB are notorious for this problem, yet the still don't have a better design from Bosch). First and Last MB. I bought the car for my wife who always wanted one, but never again. Toyota's are much bettter built. As a person of German heritage, I am ashamed at this vehicle! Embarrassment to not stand behind these problems out of warranty

Not worth the $$$$
By DLB19 on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Generally, it is an "OK" vehicle. Having said that, "OK" is not good enough for a MB vehicle. Based on the brand and the price, I am very disappointed in both my MBs. Our E-Class had to have a part in the heater replaced, which was several hundred dollars. That repair was shortly followed by the front suspension wearing out, which cost a couple thousand dollars. All these repairs were needed prior to 80,000 miles. I wouldn't expect these type of issues from "any" high end luxury vehicle, much less a Mercedes. The seats are extremely firm, liken to sitting on a cinder block. We also own a ML, which has spent most of it's life in the garage, costing us thousands of dollars.

Like a rock.
By Senior happy ownwr on 07/08/10 11:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Second buy of E320 series. This one the best, Love dealership and have been careful to adhere to maintenance schedule. Drive long distances and car is quiet and powerful. Ride is stable and responsive. Small electrical problems, radio ect but not a bother. No major repairs, highly recommend. Car is safe in my opinion. I have an extended warranty issued direct by Mercedes and it does provide comfort that if the day comes for some serious trouble that it will be taken care of, at no cost.

2004 E320 SPORT
By Vladimir Isov on 02/16/10 22:01 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I left a review here in March of 2008 when I first bought my Mercedes-Benz. All I have to say is after two years and 28,000 miles I have NOT been left on the side of the road, not even close. All I do is follow the maintenance schedule (the car's computer tells U exactly when to take her in for her maintenance) and put high octane petrol - that's it. By the way, I would take it only to a dealer with CERTIFIED technicians. Also, have a low deductible on your auto insurance. I had a "fender-bender" which cost $11,000 to repair. I know, it's crazy, right? You gotta love MB.

Faulty Electrical
By Beau on 01/13/10 06:54 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been in the service department to replace control unit for radio. Problem continued and another electrical part was the problem. Cost to repair is excessive. Also the remote door locks failed and a sensor for hood latch failed. Fun car to drive when it it not in repair shop.

Great car
By jefecita on 08/09/09 22:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. Handles great, comfortable. This is my fourth car in same E series. Mileage is better than posted. I average about 21 in mostly city driving. On the highway, I get around 28. Surprises me, but duplicated over many trips and years of driving. Complaint: the air conditioning is not great. We live in Arizona where this matters 6 months of the year. Unit is very slow to cool down the car, is very noisy when full on, and is inadequate in rear seats.

Starting to rethink this purchase
By Tony on 10/14/08 17:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car for 6 months, purchased 2nd hand without a warranty. Air system is already giving problems to the tune of $2300. That is the cost of one strut and one air compressor. While licking my wounds from this event, I may purchase an extended warranty and keep the car for my wife's sake or get rid of it and get a 5 series BMW, what I should have bought in the first place. I'm just an average Joe with a love for German cars but who can afford repairs like this? No matter who you are.

Great car
By Mark on 07/09/08 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is an amazing car. Consistently returns 30 mpg, while delivering great performance, safety, and comfort. The trunk is huge - our family of four has taken 2 vacations in it with no problems. Traded in a big SUV for it, a little worried about the downsizing. We have had absolutely no problems - this car is a perfect size for a family.

2004 E320 SPORT
By vladimir isov on 03/29/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

There is nothing like a Mercedes-Benz. Here is the bottom line. Mercedes-Benz, like all cars, must be properly maintained inside and out for it to perform and be relied upon during its long life. These are highly advanced vehicles which deserve much respect, and that means no cutting corners when it comes to maintenance and repairs. Most people complaining about their Benz either obtained it from poor care or have not been providing the proper care . I will admit, it does take a financial commitment to make this happen, but so does the proper care for a Honda Civic if you wish to have it running like new at 120K miles. I am blessed to have my 04 E320 Sport and its simply a great car.