Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

He's still going strong!
By S. Olsen

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 in October 2006 with 22K miles. He has 165K now. Drove him all over the place. He's been to ATL and back to So Cal. Weather in ATL (Snow & Ice) and high heat and humidity. Work horse. I have had him serviced at OC Benz for years and in ATL, Revolution in Decatur, GA. Yes, he has had a few issues: air compressor on back hatch; rear air shocks; fuel injector, .... but on average I have put 2K a year in maintenance and the larger items. Still drives like a dream. Plan to drive for another year or two. Love this car and would love to purchase another.

Car of my Dreams with Perpetual Maintenance!
By David Koscielniak

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Mercedes E320 Wagon new from the dealer and it was an incredible driving and great looking car. I took perfect care of this vehicle: kept it looking showroom perfect, always dealer maintained, and did all the services as scheduled. I was really hoping this car would last us a real long time with minimal problems. I was sadly mistaken. Early on things started breaking - even under warranty. Little things like the auto cargo shade stopped working that the dealer tried to fix. Then as the warranty expired, the real repair started. The air suspension went out right at 50,000 miles. This costs over $1000 per wheel to fix. The dealer agreed to do this repair under warranty - BUT IT FAILED A TOTAL OF 4 TIMES! When it fails, it leaves you stranded. Main oil seals failed (BIG repair $), the main computer fried in the middle of an I-10 trip and left us stranded because the AC lines sweated on the electronics. We hit a pothole driving 5 MPH and the wheel strut bent. Engine mounts failed. More and more small electronics failed: auto headrests didn't go down, steering column adjustment didn't work, window spray lines broke... The frequency and cost of repairs was really mindboggling. After the 4th failure of the air suspension (that left us stranded yet again on the interstate) and a $1300 alternator replacement we finally traded the vehicle in for close to nothing. I know many of you are saying to quit griping with the repairs - its an expensive import car. We realize that. However we really expected the quality of this car to be much better than what we got. It literally became so unreliable we couldn't trust it for much of anything. But it looks awesome and when it runs - it gives you a ride you cant beat!

Great Wagon but the Transmission.
By hamil65

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this for my wife with only 20k 4-years ago and the car has been great except the transmission.
The 722.6 transmission was problem in the older E320 and still is.
The TCU connector seal failed which Mercedes had an updated part but then in leaked later on also.
Read some forums and I'm not alone.
Even the new 722.9 Transmissions are having issues.
I have owned 4 Mercedes and all the transmissions have had issues.

Love the ride, the style and interior layout. Great room for the dogs.

TRANSMISSION!

Long rule the Sport-Lux Wagon
By MW

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the ultimate family vehicle and we don't look for a second at suv's or hybrid vans or whatever. Practical, sporty, smooth, clean lines, great ergo, wow wow wow. Bought all the roof bling, rack, bike rack, cargo box from Mercedes-Benz

Everything. This car is so together. The five of us jumped in the wagon and drove from Cincinnati to NYC at a spurs moment and the vehicle brought us there so refreshed. Had the in-laws visit and w/ rear fold-down seat all seven of us could ride in style to church. (Kids in back of course)

Built-in USB ports would be nice for gadgets but then I have to remind myself that I'm driving a 6-year old car. Hard to fathom!!

WHY I PAID MORE
By MICHAEL M

OVER PRICED BUT WORTH THE MONEY. AS
OWNER OF A BMW 5 SERIES, PLEASENTLY
SUPRISED WITH THE HANDLING OF MY SPORTS
MODEL E320.

THE SUBLTLE ILLUMINATION OF THE GUAGES AND THE FACTORY AUDIO SYSTEM ARE SUPERB. THE VARIOUS SUSPENSION SETTINGS AVAILABLE IN THE SPORT OPTION ARE OUTSTANDING.

THE KEYLESS GO OPTION IS A WASTE AS IT WORKS VERY INCONSITENTLY TO THE POINT WHERE YOU MUST HAVE THE KEY IN YOUR HAND FOR OPERATION. YOU MAY AS WELL JUST USE THE KEY.