2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
The "Water Buffalo" Just Keeps Going Effortlessly
By realrideracing on 02/13/13 14:56 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We've nicknamed our E320 the "Water Buffalo" simply because it's the work horse. She is as reliable as any car I've owned (and I've owned a lot!), just gets you to your destination effortlessly and smoothly, pretty comfy ride, handles well, and is all round a good solid car. Even in Los Angeles where everybody drives fancy cars, the valet still parks our E320 in the front. It just looks like an elegant and classy car.

Mercedes should be ashamed of their internal build quality
By daiku on 09/29/11 15:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First, the engine, and ride have been great, but the internal comfort features on this $60K have been terrible. 4 front cup holders replaced @$80 each Keyless go doors dont' work and need repair and redesign Replaced thee rear DOOR latch on the right passenger side so my daughter could get out of the vehicle $685!. Rear sunscreen not functioning (MB are notorious for this problem, yet the still don't have a better design from Bosch). First and Last MB. I bought the car for my wife who always wanted one, but never again. Toyota's are much bettter built. As a person of German heritage, I am ashamed at this vehicle! Embarrassment to not stand behind these problems out of warranty

Great Wagon but the Transmission.
By hamil65 on 08/12/11 15:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this for my wife with only 20k 4-years ago and the car has been great except the transmission. The 722.6 transmission was problem in the older E320 and still is. The TCU connector seal failed which Mercedes had an updated part but then in leaked later on also. Read some forums and I'm not alone. Even the new 722.9 Transmissions are having issues. I have owned 4 Mercedes and all the transmissions have had issues.

Not worth the $$$$
By DLB19 on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Generally, it is an "OK" vehicle. Having said that, "OK" is not good enough for a MB vehicle. Based on the brand and the price, I am very disappointed in both my MBs. Our E-Class had to have a part in the heater replaced, which was several hundred dollars. That repair was shortly followed by the front suspension wearing out, which cost a couple thousand dollars. All these repairs were needed prior to 80,000 miles. I wouldn't expect these type of issues from "any" high end luxury vehicle, much less a Mercedes. The seats are extremely firm, liken to sitting on a cinder block. We also own a ML, which has spent most of it's life in the garage, costing us thousands of dollars.

Long rule the Sport-Lux Wagon
By MW on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the ultimate family vehicle and we don't look for a second at suv's or hybrid vans or whatever. Practical, sporty, smooth, clean lines, great ergo, wow wow wow. Bought all the roof bling, rack, bike rack, cargo box from Mercedes-Benz

Never again!
By Eric G on 07/28/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

What a nightmare! It's just so much fun to drive a 6 year old Mercedes with only 52,000 miles that doesn't have an operational radio. There is a widely known issue with the radio with these vehicle (go ahead and Google 2004 e500 radio problems) yet no one at MB cares! The dealers won't go to battle for you even though they acknowledge it's a widely known issue. MB Customer Care? Well aren't they the most pompous and arrogant individuals on the planet. Go buy something else, there are far better luxury automobiles out there.

Like a rock.
By Senior happy ownwr on 07/08/10 11:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Second buy of E320 series. This one the best, Love dealership and have been careful to adhere to maintenance schedule. Drive long distances and car is quiet and powerful. Ride is stable and responsive. Small electrical problems, radio ect but not a bother. No major repairs, highly recommend. Car is safe in my opinion. I have an extended warranty issued direct by Mercedes and it does provide comfort that if the day comes for some serious trouble that it will be taken care of, at no cost.

Does not live up to its name
By Tom Williams on 05/11/10 12:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car when it works, but we have had tons of suspension, braking and electrical problems. Fixing anything costs at least an arm and a leg. This is my very last Benz. German engineering just means "expensive to fix".

2004 E320 SPORT
By Vladimir Isov on 02/16/10 22:01 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I left a review here in March of 2008 when I first bought my Mercedes-Benz. All I have to say is after two years and 28,000 miles I have NOT been left on the side of the road, not even close. All I do is follow the maintenance schedule (the car's computer tells U exactly when to take her in for her maintenance) and put high octane petrol - that's it. By the way, I would take it only to a dealer with CERTIFIED technicians. Also, have a low deductible on your auto insurance. I had a "fender-bender" which cost $11,000 to repair. I know, it's crazy, right? You gotta love MB.

Faulty Electrical
By Beau on 01/13/10 06:54 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The car has been in the service department to replace control unit for radio. Problem continued and another electrical part was the problem. Cost to repair is excessive. Also the remote door locks failed and a sensor for hood latch failed. Fun car to drive when it it not in repair shop.