Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Car of my Dreams with Perpetual Maintenance!
By David Koscielniak

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Mercedes E320 Wagon new from the dealer and it was an incredible driving and great looking car. I took perfect care of this vehicle: kept it looking showroom perfect, always dealer maintained, and did all the services as scheduled. I was really hoping this car would last us a real long time with minimal problems. I was sadly mistaken. Early on things started breaking - even under warranty. Little things like the auto cargo shade stopped working that the dealer tried to fix. Then as the warranty expired, the real repair started. The air suspension went out right at 50,000 miles. This costs over $1000 per wheel to fix. The dealer agreed to do this repair under warranty - BUT IT FAILED A TOTAL OF 4 TIMES! When it fails, it leaves you stranded. Main oil seals failed (BIG repair $), the main computer fried in the middle of an I-10 trip and left us stranded because the AC lines sweated on the electronics. We hit a pothole driving 5 MPH and the wheel strut bent. Engine mounts failed. More and more small electronics failed: auto headrests didn't go down, steering column adjustment didn't work, window spray lines broke... The frequency and cost of repairs was really mindboggling. After the 4th failure of the air suspension (that left us stranded yet again on the interstate) and a $1300 alternator replacement we finally traded the vehicle in for close to nothing. I know many of you are saying to quit griping with the repairs - its an expensive import car. We realize that. However we really expected the quality of this car to be much better than what we got. It literally became so unreliable we couldn't trust it for much of anything. But it looks awesome and when it runs - it gives you a ride you cant beat!

121,000 miles later...
By realrideracing

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

... our 2004 E320 4Matic is still running like a champ! No significant mechanical issues and the car has never left us stranded. We keep it in the garage (our 2015 GLK350 gets the carport parking) and keep up on all the maintenance religiously. Get the E500 if you want a rocketship. We're happy with the trusty M112 V6 engine. Enough power for most applications yet provides decent fuel mileage. It's a much more desirable engine than the dreaded M272 in the 2006 - 2009 E350 that was prone to balance shaft failures (there's even a class action suit against Mercedes for this now). Handling is decent for a wagon but eats tires.

The car continues to amaze me each time I drive it. Some of the technology in this 11 year old car is just appearing in some of the brand new cars of other brands. The design and build quality are outstanding and people are still amazed that it's a 2004. Even in posh Los Angeles restaurants, the valet parks the car in the highest visibility spots. Who needs an SUV with the amount of interior space you get in the wagon! Sound system is fantastic. Driving position is perfect.

Some interior parts are prone to breakage easily such as sun visors, the butterfly buttons on the center console, and the dreaded cup holders that never seem to last more than 2 months! As for user interface, well, the command system is a nightmare to figure out. It's completely counter intuitive and the commands are inconsistently laid out. When buying a used one, check for Thrust Arm bushing wear, SBC brake update (factory recall), and leaking Fuel Tank gaskets (factory recall).

The "Water Buffalo" Just Keeps Going Effortlessly
By realrideracing

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We've nicknamed our E320 the "Water Buffalo" simply because it's the work horse. She is as reliable as any car I've owned (and I've owned a lot!), just gets you to your destination effortlessly and smoothly, pretty comfy ride, handles well, and is all round a good solid car. Even in Los Angeles where everybody drives fancy cars, the valet still parks our E320 in the front. It just looks like an elegant and classy car.

Firm yet comfortable ride. Just a super reliable car! Keep up on the maintenance and you'll have no problems with this car. I'm not sure what kind of paint Mercedes uses, but this car has lived a hard life in the Southern California sun, yet continues to shine like it just came off the showroom! At 114,000 miles, our E320 feels like it'll run another 200,000 miles easily! If you're considering one, don't hesitate! Get it!

Suspension thrust bearings are regular failures on these cars. Expect to spend about $1,800 to repair them.

Mercedes should be ashamed of their internal build quality
By daiku

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First, the engine, and ride have been great, but the internal comfort features on this $60K have been terrible. 4 front cup holders replaced @$80 each Keyless go doors dont' work and need repair and redesign Replaced thee rear DOOR latch on the right passenger side so my daughter could get out of the vehicle $685!. Rear sunscreen not functioning (MB are notorious for this problem, yet the still don't have a better design from Bosch). First and Last MB. I bought the car for my wife who always wanted one, but never again. Toyota's are much bettter built. As a person of German heritage, I am ashamed at this vehicle! Embarrassment to not stand behind these problems out of warranty

Drive quality Noise level

Stop sticking it to customers for parts! Most of this stuff is MB quality issues that customers shouldn't be gouged for. 3rd parties aren't able to work on these at a competitive price, unfair! Lack of access to tools! Stop de-contenting the car to increase profits. Quality should be there on the electronics, but they aren't

Great Wagon but the Transmission.
By hamil65

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this for my wife with only 20k 4-years ago and the car has been great except the transmission. The 722.6 transmission was problem in the older E320 and still is. The TCU connector seal failed which Mercedes had an updated part but then in leaked later on also. Read some forums and I'm not alone. Even the new 722.9 Transmissions are having issues. I have owned 4 Mercedes and all the transmissions have had issues.

Love the ride, the style and interior layout. Great room for the dogs.

TRANSMISSION!