2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 5.0L V8 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - An excellent alternative to the

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Review

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

E500 Sedan (5.0L V8 5-speed Automatic)

An excellent alternative to the BMW 5
By Peter Jackson on

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 2 years and was a dedicated BMW driver. The latest BMW 5 series drove me away from them. The new E series is a great looking vehicle with adequate space and a superb V8 which pulls well from low revs. Apart from the ubiquitous sound system software issue, I have only had the recall on the brakes to deal with. The car has a dual personality, the "easy drive in traffic mode" and the "give me the pedal and let me go mode". Fussy interior is distracting and lack of GPS irritating (not available when I bought her). Roomy and classy looking. Handles well but you need to push it. Not very "chuckable" due to the disconnect between the car and the driver.

Favorite Features

Superb torque of the V8. Classy looks, good space for a mid size, and comfortable seats. Excellent handling, dual personality (drive aggressively or waft you from place to place)

Suggested Improvements

Numb steering, too many electronics between you and the car (there is a great chassis waiting to escape the control systems), fussy controls.