2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2003 E-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

what was i waiting for ?
By eric kelly

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

i sold my zx9 sport bike,,no time to ride it with my real estate job,,police job,,and daddy job,,bought this for my wife as a gift for getting her doctoral degree,,what the hell was i waiting on,,this car has made me not want to get another bike,,i find my self going to look at it in the garage,,,yep just like the commerical,,,i leave the light on in the garage now and painted the floor grey,,to make the car comfortable,,,lol,,now i am looking foward to dressing her out,,18 inch rims,amg sports pkg,,,i dont car what it cost,,i must have it,,

Favorite Features

style,,,finish,,,the feeling of safety

Suggested Improvements

start a buy one get one free program,,,lol or some other type of repeat buyer deal,,,make it more after market friendly

We're in love with this car!
By JohnCaron

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We love this car! This is just such a nice solid car on the road. The handling is superb - at any speed.. Very luxurious.

Favorite Features

If you could only have one option, get the Distronics. It makes driving in heavy traffic almost fun. The next option would be the Command Center. The brakes are excellant.

Suggested Improvements

We don't like the drink holder. Something a little lower and out of the way would be nice. Have ashtrays optional. I could use the space they take up for a lot better things. The multi-contour seats are a bit disappointing. They don't have much range and are slow to activate.

fuel injectors and pulling to right
By Dr. David

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

My wife drives this car and seldom notices any variation in performance or handling of the vehicle. When I finally drove the car, i noticed rough idling and it pulled to the right. The net result was replacement of all the fuel injectors, injector rail, and spark plugs were replaced . A bolt kit and alignment took care of the pulling to the right. Thank goodness for warranty services.

Favorite Features

handling, power , performance, and incredible style. great vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

have the cruise control wand located elsewhere.

Fun in my Benz
By cubie

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Car is great! Has great power, outstanding safety features, great styling

Favorite Features

Breaking system, sport suspension, exterior

Suggested Improvements

Little more power. I wish the E55 was out when I bought my E500 Sport!

Will Never Buy MB Again! MB=German Lemon
By Eunice

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First and last MB I will ever buy! Since I bought the car, I noticed that the car pulls hard to the right. It's like MB built the car crooked. What's even worse is that MB tried to make me pay for alignment!Service has been poor and 2nd rate compared to Infiniti & Lexus. Even after alignment, car still pulls to right. CD player failed 3 times, battery was replaced, left speaker fell off, gas mileage not as great as advertised, climate control failed. Car is too heavy for the engine especially when accelerating from a stop & transmission jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd at slow traffic speeds. Amazing how a $60g engine is less refined than a $20g Honda.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, Interior. BTW, transmission also jerks when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. When you drive in slow traffic, you can feel the transmission jerk multiple times. Told MB of problem & told me it was normal on all 320 models! Unbelievable!

Suggested Improvements

Improve Qualtiy Control!!! MB = a lemon with a fancy badge. I will boycott MB from now on and hopefully I saved you the stress and horrors of buying a MB after reading the review. Don't be fooled by it's good looks. Beauty is truly only on the outside of this car.

My E500...one year later
By Texan Doug

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've put 8,000 miles on my black E500. I enjoy the sporty feel of driving this car on the streets and freeways of Houston. The ride is very smooth, either at 25 or 125. Interior is plenty big for 4 large adults, and a little snug for 5. Trunk can hold 4 sets of golf clubs. Nice layout of the dash. The suspension is probably set one notch too tight...and sometimes rides more like a vette. Corners well and is remarkable in wet weather. CD player works great, but poor radio reception is due to a computer software bug which can be repaired at the dealer.

Favorite Features

The 302hp engine, the seats, the stereo system, and the attention this thing gets on the road or in the parking lot.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the cupholders, fix the radio reception problem, relax the electronic brake assist.

Front Legroom
By Ferraro300

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The E320 is a well made and fun to drive car. It has more power than its E class predecessors, and the electronics are excellent

Favorite Features

The exterior design and the stereo is awesome. The gas milelage is supprisingly excellent.

Suggested Improvements

The Front seat has a compartment under to seat that takes away legroom and is very annoying. The back seat is a JOKE, your legs go numb after 30 minutes.

E-500
By Dr Tom

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

My E-500 has been in the shop 5 weeks out of the last 52 weeks for radio, telephone problems and to replace windshield and rear glass due to scratches at delivery. The shop then scratched the paint and it had to be repaired. I think they've finally solved the radio/telephone problems just last week. Otherwise, the performance of the engine and comfort ride are great.

Favorite Features

Comfort of seats, V-8 engine, key-less go.

Suggested Improvements

Chime sounds when entering or leaving vehicle telling you to not forget the key even though you can't lock the door when the key is in the car with key- less go. Drives me nuts!

very disappointed
By hatethecar

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Because if my work, I put alot of miles on a car and need reliability as well as comfort. The reliability factor is certainly present, however, the car's interior is very uncomfortable for anyone over 5'7". I feel like I'm in a tuna can. The seats are uncomfortable and the interior space is small and not well designed. I really dislike driving this car and hope to get rid of it as soon as possible. One other glaring mistake made by MB is the fact the the interior colors are so light it's impossible to maintain particularly the flooring area. RIDICULOUS!

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Increase the intrior space of the car and get rid of the super light colors for the floor and well area.

Solid car after break-in gremlins
By RoninSanDiego

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

One of 1st 2003 E-320's delivered in my city, the car had electrical, computer/mechanical probs with climate control, airbags; rear window sunscreen. Engine computer problems. BUT -after the post-delivery gremlins were fixed, car has been reliable ever since. Great cruiser and easy to handle in stop-and-go traffic. 30 mpg on 400 mile trip- cruising 80+ mph. Overall,my E-320 is winning me back. Dealership is excellent.

Favorite Features

Upgraded sound system. With sunroof open, little air noise rushes into cabin-unlike other cars. Great suspension system. Spacious interior; dash control to drop rear seat headrests; Excellent seat comfort and controls. Improved exterior design over earlier models.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic around air vents and over speakers looks cheap. Study Audi or Lexus. Brakes - they're not bad, just very different feel. 250-260 hp would be nice but could compromise gas mileage I bragged about. Complex climate controls. Needs stiffer steering feedback at all speeds.