Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Unreliable
By JohnF

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I am waiting for a tow truck to pick up my E500 again as I write thie review. This is an awesome driving car, with great looks and lots of power, but man have I been in the shop way too much. This time the air suspension went out (again) and the extended warranty plan doesn't cover this as it's considered a shock, so there goes $1000. Previous problems included the radiator split, causing the transmission cooling lines that run through it to get coolant mixed in with my transmission fluid, which means the tranny was replaced.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and great looking.

Suggested Improvements

It's a Mercedes it's not supposed to break, it needs better reliability.

Saved my Life
By BenMedMD

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a pre-owned 2003 Mercedes- Benz E320 from a collegue in April of 2005. It had 23000 miles, but it was in great shape (save a broken cupholder). In August of 2005, while stopped in traffic on the way to Cape Cod, a Chevy Blazer traveling at approximately 75 miles an hour stuck the rear of my E320. I can't really remember it, but my car flipped 5 times, landing roof down, in the middle of the interstate. I should be dead. Instead, I walked out with nothing but a couple of bruised ribs & a new outlook on life. Look at the negative reviews---all arbitrary complaints about little inconveniences. Mercedes-Benz. saved my life. The safest car on the road. BMW cannot even touch M-B safety.

Favorite Features

Gaurdian angel inspired safety features, solidity, understated yet beautiful exterior, bi-xenon, quality of leather.

Suggested Improvements

When it comes down to the most important things, none.

85,000 miles ---0----problems
By kst823

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car with 16,000. Since then I've been doing the regular services every 12,000 miles. I've never had any problems super reliable! ( of course I've changed tires, brakes etc.) It drives like new, I will drive it untill it falls apart.

Favorite Features

Styling, interior, extremely solid.

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower.

Excellent to own
By Phil

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car has everything anyone could want: safety, reliability, styling, comfort, standard upgrades such as an audio system that uses fiber-optic wiring to the speakers (you hear every sound), and great gas mileage. What more could you want?

Favorite Features

Audio system, turning radius, trunk space.

Great Drive
By E320Lanka

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Having used the E240, which had an acceleration delay, I decided to get myself an E320. The performance of this car is astonishing. Cornering is a dream at speeds over 100Kph. Fuel economy is not the best although I canít complain for 3.2L Engine. Stability at high speeds is great supported with a well engineered breaking system. The Bi-Xenon lamps light up the neighborhood which makes night driving extremely comfortable and safe. I highly recommend this extremely reliable and comfortable car

Favorite Features

Panoramic roof, premier sound system, and user friendly cockpit

Suggested Improvements

The roof tends to creak and rattle quite a bit. Better insulation would help resolve this problem. The gear changes are not always smooth and at times the kickback feature doesnít really "kick in". Gearbox requires quite a bit of improvement. Mercedes could use a few tips from Audi on that!