2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
DISAPPOINTED E320 OWNER
By DISAPPOINTED OWNER on 02/02/05 19:50 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my E320 in 8/03 and drove about 15000 mi. My selection was based on appearance, test drive, competitor's and MB reputation. So far I was in for 5 service visits for alarm short, stuck gas cap, battery short and at least 4 times for the transmission. All of the problems were addressed except for the transmission. In low speeds the car bucks and the transmission hangs up between gears. According to the dealer who was generally helpful, MB headquarters do not recognize a transmission problem as it is not a safety issue. Basically they do not know how to fix it. I guess that in Germany where they drive a stick, they do not care about US cars. My first auto, a 63 Tempest with 2 speed transaxle, had a smoother transmission.

Jittery Transmission/ so-so performance
By carlmk on 12/27/04 21:52 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The transmission/power is not as smooth as any of my previous four E series MBX( or my wife's Volvo S80). Complained to dealer many times and finally one of the service persons told me they had complaints that the 2003 is not as smooth as 1997-2002 series. The problem seems to be in the torque converter. In the 2003 it has a lock-up for all gears. Previous models locked up only in high gear. The dealer upgraded the software. This improved the performance... cut down on herky jerky xmission. Still not as good as my 2001. The dealer told me the lockup does not drop out instantly causing the poor effect. They are going to check if there are any other factory suggestions.

What a Car
By Cains10 on 12/23/04 11:36 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this car for three months now. It is a terrific automobile. It is surprisingly sporty for being a six. We traded in a Lexus V8 (which was also a terrific car but six years old). It is a great trip car and gets very good gas mileage on trips, 26-27. The easy entry feature is wonderful and so is the Harman/Kardon stereo system. The car just feels solid and sporty. We especially like having stability control, traction control and the eight air bags. Should make for a save car as well.

Proceed with Caution
By Read it on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I love it. Style,comfort are superb,yet the reliablility of the engine & pc syst. are something to be reckoned with. It sporatically hesitates. The phone system,(which by the way was worth every penny)sometimes acts up and I need to turn the car off like rebooting a pc. Same thing happens with the malfuntion instrument panel, again rebooting seems to work. Had the auto in the shop MANY times at the beginning finally got most of the problems tweaked. Was kind of embarrassed to say,it's in the shop AGAIN. Although the service dept. was awesome.

Runs Like an Olympian
By Javierdpm on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Fantastic car. My first MB experience and quite good. I'm getting a new one later this year. Same performance as an SL55 with room for 5. Prefer Panorama Roof to an all out convertible.

happy to own one
By terry aldrich on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

With excellent reliability, a firm but pleasant ride, fuel economy at 29.2 miles/gallon at 72 mph on a 12 hour trip, and a beautiful presentation, of course, "I'm happy to own one".

Proceed with caution
By good info. on 08/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a wonderful machine in terms of handling. It is eye pleasing and driving fatigue on long trips is zero. But, it is an electrical NIGHTMARE. Don't waste your money underwriting mercedez R&D. I know the company knows of the drastic electrical problems yet they keep offering the cars for sell without warning. This is not like the Mercedez of old. Hey...who owns this company these days...certainly not a company that cares about the consumer. In 16 months my car has been in the shop more than 10 times for major electrical problems. I think more consumers aren't complaining because they are embarassed to tell that a car with this reputation is soo poor.

fastest 4 door sedan
By LouM on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

It certainly is the most powerful auto I have owned, faster than my 1990 ZR-1 and 1967 Shelby GT500. It is comfortable and quiet. I have obtained 22.5 mpg on the highway but it does enjoy a drink in town and will do about 13.5 mpg. I wish the navigation system were more like my Lexus SC430'swhich is very easy to use. Guess I just have to accept that it is "German".

Strong, Confident, and Safe Automobile
By Mercedes Customer on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I ambsolutely love my 2003 Mercedes- Benz E-320. Its fun with an amazing amount reliability and poise. With it confident stride and control, it most definatley deserves at the least a test-drive.

5th and Best MB I've ever had
By Katcat on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've had two other E's (good cars), an S500 (expensive junk), and an ML (less expensive junk), and my E500 is the best MB I've had yet. It has renewed my faith in this company. The sport pkg was worth it; the car handles like a dream. The Command system is intuitive - easy to use. MB customer service was exceptional in this case. My car was one of the 1st in 2002, and didn't have a nav, but I bought one to be installed when it was ready. The nav that was designed couldn't fit the configuration of my car (ridiculous design error), so guess what? MB gave me a brand new car with nav after 6 months of use!