2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
An excellent alternative to the BMW 5
By Peter Jackson on 06/14/05 01:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 2 years and was a dedicated BMW driver. The latest BMW 5 series drove me away from them. The new E series is a great looking vehicle with adequate space and a superb V8 which pulls well from low revs. Apart from the ubiquitous sound system software issue, I have only had the recall on the brakes to deal with. The car has a dual personality, the "easy drive in traffic mode" and the "give me the pedal and let me go mode". Fussy interior is distracting and lack of GPS irritating (not available when I bought her). Roomy and classy looking. Handles well but you need to push it. Not very "chuckable" due to the disconnect between the car and the driver.

A excellent car
By Radames on 05/07/05 12:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car in 2003 and I'm very satisfied. The mileage is good, 28.1 on the highway, and 20.3 in city. The suspension is awesome. Stability and comfort at the same time. The sport package is excellent. The air suspesion is very comfortable. The seat are comfortable and the trunk is huge. Overall it's great.

Dissapointed
By Jim Emry on 02/11/05 07:48 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This $50K car has spent too much time at the dealership for minor repairs. I feel high tech has gone too far with this vehicle. For example, rain sensor windshield wipers, automatic seat adjustment, these two things have never worked and dealer has not been able to fix. Oil level too high, this keeps appearing as a malfunction on computer screen. Gas cap has to be frequently repaired. Winshield wipers make awful scraping noise even when wet, dealer also unable to fix. Very dissapointing auto

Not What It Once Was
By Lew Strand on 02/03/05 10:58 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned several Mercedes Benz in the past, and I always loved the E Class. I really like the lines on the new E so I traded my 97 E 320 for this one. It's been in the shop far too many times, and I rarely drive it anymore. I've replaced speakers, shocks, rear window, and have had several electrical issues. I traded my wife's ML430 for a BMW 5 Series, and I can tell you first hand, it's a much better product. We liked the 5 Series so much, I bought a Z4 the next month. My lease is up in 11 months, and it's by by Mercedes and welcome to another BMW. I hope Mercedes gets its act together; they have such beautiful cars.

DISAPPOINTED E320 OWNER
By DISAPPOINTED OWNER on 02/02/05 19:50 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my E320 in 8/03 and drove about 15000 mi. My selection was based on appearance, test drive, competitor's and MB reputation. So far I was in for 5 service visits for alarm short, stuck gas cap, battery short and at least 4 times for the transmission. All of the problems were addressed except for the transmission. In low speeds the car bucks and the transmission hangs up between gears. According to the dealer who was generally helpful, MB headquarters do not recognize a transmission problem as it is not a safety issue. Basically they do not know how to fix it. I guess that in Germany where they drive a stick, they do not care about US cars. My first auto, a 63 Tempest with 2 speed transaxle, had a smoother transmission.

Jittery Transmission/ so-so performance
By carlmk on 12/27/04 21:52 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The transmission/power is not as smooth as any of my previous four E series MBX( or my wife's Volvo S80). Complained to dealer many times and finally one of the service persons told me they had complaints that the 2003 is not as smooth as 1997-2002 series. The problem seems to be in the torque converter. In the 2003 it has a lock-up for all gears. Previous models locked up only in high gear. The dealer upgraded the software. This improved the performance... cut down on herky jerky xmission. Still not as good as my 2001. The dealer told me the lockup does not drop out instantly causing the poor effect. They are going to check if there are any other factory suggestions.

What a Car
By Cains10 on 12/23/04 11:36 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this car for three months now. It is a terrific automobile. It is surprisingly sporty for being a six. We traded in a Lexus V8 (which was also a terrific car but six years old). It is a great trip car and gets very good gas mileage on trips, 26-27. The easy entry feature is wonderful and so is the Harman/Kardon stereo system. The car just feels solid and sporty. We especially like having stability control, traction control and the eight air bags. Should make for a save car as well.

Proceed with Caution
By Read it on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I love it. Style,comfort are superb,yet the reliablility of the engine & pc syst. are something to be reckoned with. It sporatically hesitates. The phone system,(which by the way was worth every penny)sometimes acts up and I need to turn the car off like rebooting a pc. Same thing happens with the malfuntion instrument panel, again rebooting seems to work. Had the auto in the shop MANY times at the beginning finally got most of the problems tweaked. Was kind of embarrassed to say,it's in the shop AGAIN. Although the service dept. was awesome.

happy to own one
By terry aldrich on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

With excellent reliability, a firm but pleasant ride, fuel economy at 29.2 miles/gallon at 72 mph on a 12 hour trip, and a beautiful presentation, of course, "I'm happy to own one".

Proceed with caution
By good info. on 08/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a wonderful machine in terms of handling. It is eye pleasing and driving fatigue on long trips is zero. But, it is an electrical NIGHTMARE. Don't waste your money underwriting mercedez R&D. I know the company knows of the drastic electrical problems yet they keep offering the cars for sell without warning. This is not like the Mercedez of old. Hey...who owns this company these days...certainly not a company that cares about the consumer. In 16 months my car has been in the shop more than 10 times for major electrical problems. I think more consumers aren't complaining because they are embarassed to tell that a car with this reputation is soo poor.