2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
JUNK!
By Ken from York, Pa on 07/05/08 15:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Pretty, prestigious, totally unreliable! We made the mistake of keeping this heap beyond its warranty period. At 48,001 miles the rear brakes failed ($500), and the sensor for the front brakes failed with 1/2 pad wear left. We also made the mistake of trying to take it on a trip. Car died after 300 miles. Had to be towed. Never own one of these heaps beyond the warranty period. All service had been done correctly and on time.

Best Car Ever
By terry on 05/29/08 12:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've had 3 other MB's, a BMW, a Jaguar, and a Cadillac-this car beats them all-easily. Great ride coupled with excellent road feel, I can drive 8 hours and leave the cockpit feeling refreshed, 30/31 mpg at 75 mph-and only routine maintenance, brakes, and tires. It's not marriage material but next best!

Excellent
By great car on 04/15/08 02:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Had a BMW in college. Have had nothing but MB since I have grown up. BMW's a little too yuppy for me and for who I see in them. Love this classy, safe, beautifully enginereed automobile. Wish they could get as reliable as Infiniti or Honda and as professional and efficient in the maintainance area too. However, still, driving up in a Mercedes does make a statement and this car is no exception and has a very quiet, well made cabin and its design for safety and engineering is superb. I'm pretty sure all the rest of my cars will be Mercedes especially if they can get as professional and efficient and fair in their maintainance and reliability as the Japanese.

Falling Apart
By Chris on 01/21/08 08:54 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this vehicle about 2 years ago as certified used from dealership. We have been taking it in for repairs about 3-4 times a year. Head lamps have gone out a few times each. The radio quit working a few months ago-replacement costs $1,200. Warning lights go on about once a month for coolant level, brakes, lamps, etc. once every few months. The transmission is very jerky at low speeds. Interior trim pieces and outer roof strip are coming off. The engine/transmission noise while driving is loud and harsh. Interior truck lock assembly is falling apart.

Unreliable
By JohnF on 01/19/08 09:22 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I am waiting for a tow truck to pick up my E500 again as I write thie review. This is an awesome driving car, with great looks and lots of power, but man have I been in the shop way too much. This time the air suspension went out (again) and the extended warranty plan doesn't cover this as it's considered a shock, so there goes $1000. Previous problems included the radiator split, causing the transmission cooling lines that run through it to get coolant mixed in with my transmission fluid, which means the tranny was replaced.

Saved my Life
By BenMedMD on 11/08/07 14:26 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a pre-owned 2003 Mercedes- Benz E320 from a collegue in April of 2005. It had 23000 miles, but it was in great shape (save a broken cupholder). In August of 2005, while stopped in traffic on the way to Cape Cod, a Chevy Blazer traveling at approximately 75 miles an hour stuck the rear of my E320. I can't really remember it, but my car flipped 5 times, landing roof down, in the middle of the interstate. I should be dead. Instead, I walked out with nothing but a couple of bruised ribs & a new outlook on life. Look at the negative reviews---all arbitrary complaints about little inconveniences. Mercedes-Benz. saved my life. The safest car on the road. BMW cannot even touch M-B safety.

85,000 miles ---0----problems
By kst823 on 08/25/07 17:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car with 16,000. Since then I've been doing the regular services every 12,000 miles. I've never had any problems super reliable! ( of course I've changed tires, brakes etc.) It drives like new, I will drive it untill it falls apart.

Excellent to own
By Phil on 07/16/07 18:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car has everything anyone could want: safety, reliability, styling, comfort, standard upgrades such as an audio system that uses fiber-optic wiring to the speakers (you hear every sound), and great gas mileage. What more could you want?

Great Drive
By E320Lanka on 06/21/07 12:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Having used the E240, which had an acceleration delay, I decided to get myself an E320. The performance of this car is astonishing. Cornering is a dream at speeds over 100Kph. Fuel economy is not the best although I can’t complain for 3.2L Engine. Stability at high speeds is great supported with a well engineered breaking system. The Bi-Xenon lamps light up the neighborhood which makes night driving extremely comfortable and safe. I highly recommend this extremely reliable and comfortable car

Great Car
By Touchdown Tony on 03/22/07 20:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this as an expired lease vehicle with 27500 miles. Was concerned at first as Consumer Reports stated reliability problems. After 5 months and 6000 miles, I can say without reservation that I love this car. To put this comment in perspective, my last car was a 528i BMW that was always in the shop. While the BMW was nice, the Mercedes is much more refined. Feel like a grown-up driving this car versus a 50 year-old in a midlife crisis when driving the BMW. No problems what-so-ever. Fantastic mileage. Beautifully designed. However, a few quirks as loud cold starts till lifters get lubricated. Also, the Germans likely show their contempt for Americans by poor design of the cupholders.