Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

2003 E320 RWD
By jonduro

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

bought this car with 55800 miles. The interior is very comfortable and stylish. The car is somewhat heavy but the engine has good power. I consistently get 21 city and 29 highway when on cruise control. The looks are ok but the newer models are now better. As far as reliability it has served me well. It goes 10k miles between oil changes. I do take care of car and do not drive it aggressively. It is a cruiser not a racecar. The feeling behind wheel is not great because it is too comfortable and big. Overall is a good car. Keep regular maintenance take care of it. Repairs can be pricey but you do get what you pay or don't pay for.

Favorite Features

interior comfort, nice and big trunk...airbags..6 disk cd changer and sound

Suggested Improvements

it seems like newer models are addressing what the 2003 year lacks.

Love my car when it works
By joerider72

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

DO NOT BUY! I currently average about $6,000/yr or $500/month in repairs to drive this car. The quality of the parts is shoddy, primarily due to poor engineering (it's not engineered for longevity). The bottom line is that the car has WAY too much electronics that control and monitor everything. Those electronics do not have the life expectancy of the mechanical parts. Here's my list of repairs; front struts, rear's are leaking, radiator, (damaged transmission - see TSB), control unit for tranny, suspension compressor, air hoses relating to suspension, tires because suspension was messed up. What I still need: brake accumulator, new motor mounts,new tranny or torque converter, rear struts

Favorite Features

Heated seats (only half of the heat works on my passenger seat), individual climate control, engine power, ride quality when air suspension works properly.

Suggested Improvements

This is a 3yr car or as long as you can get a bumper to bumper warranty for. Since they no longer sell this model new...don't waste your money!

Top of The Line Design/Workmanship
By 2d Force Recon

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I use midgrade gas and this has served me well. 125K to date and highway mileage 27-30 mpg at 65-71 MPH. Heated steering wheel does not operate at low (40 and below) temp until vehicle warms up. At 6' I drive with seat all the way back and the side cloth is worn from getting in and out of drivers side. Living in PA I have not had a problem with the vehicle being RWD, in ALL KINDS OF SNOW.

Favorite Features

Driving comfort, handling, gas mileage, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Heated Steering Wheel.

Only a little nervous
By David

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I rode in someone else's E500, and liked it, not thinking I could afford one. I found a used on by accident, and, after driving about four used ones, found one I liked. Got a good deal, and a good deal on my trade-in. So far, the only problems I've had have been two low-beams headlights going out, and not being able to replace them myself. The oil level tester told me it had excess oil in it recently, so I scheduled it for service 1,400 miles early, but I'd rather not take any chances, and they'll replace the headlights for me. Seems like it only requires maintenance once a year, and alternating years are major, and minor services, so, not too bad. Car feels very solid. I like it.

Favorite Features

Classy looks, subtle, understated. Not overly impressed with itself. Dealer very knowledgeable, helpful, friendly. Very solid feel, fun to drive, great stereo. Heated seats great in winter, although I hope to move to southern California. Not sure how it will be in snow, but, ibid.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe the reliability could be a little bit better. A couple of minor glitches sometimes, and reading some other reviews makes me a bit nervous, but, so far, pretty happy. Transmission bucks abit when cold, and air from air conditioner smells strongly of urine, when first started in hot weather.

A Superb Automobile!
By The Duke

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2003 E320 from an independent service shop I've been dealing with for more than 15 years. My wife fell in love with how it handled, so I bought it without even a taking it on a test drive. My wife's intuition was right (once again). The E320 is superb! With 39,500 miles at purchase date, I still had over one year factory warranty and 10,000 miles remaining. I immediately took the E320 in the local MB dealership and ensured all factory warranty work and improvements were installed. No cost to me. A year later, at 50,000 miles/4 years, I again took it in to MB dealership. No cost to me. Last year I had the 60K service done by my independent dealer. An absolutely superb auto!

Favorite Features

Superb style, quality, safety, and gas mileage. Excellent German engineering.

Suggested Improvements

Driver's seat is not up to par. After 3 years of driving, I still have not found a truly comfortable position that adequately supports my long legs.