2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Love my car when it works
By joerider72 on 03/05/10 14:18 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

DO NOT BUY! I currently average about $6,000/yr or $500/month in repairs to drive this car. The quality of the parts is shoddy, primarily due to poor engineering (it's not engineered for longevity). The bottom line is that the car has WAY too much electronics that control and monitor everything. Those electronics do not have the life expectancy of the mechanical parts. Here's my list of repairs; front struts, rear's are leaking, radiator, (damaged transmission - see TSB), control unit for tranny, suspension compressor, air hoses relating to suspension, tires because suspension was messed up. What I still need: brake accumulator, new motor mounts,new tranny or torque converter, rear struts

Top of The Line Design/Workmanship
By 2d Force Recon on 01/01/10 08:48 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I use midgrade gas and this has served me well. 125K to date and highway mileage 27-30 mpg at 65-71 MPH. Heated steering wheel does not operate at low (40 and below) temp until vehicle warms up. At 6' I drive with seat all the way back and the side cloth is worn from getting in and out of drivers side. Living in PA I have not had a problem with the vehicle being RWD, in ALL KINDS OF SNOW.

Only a little nervous
By David on 11/21/09 09:24 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I rode in someone else's E500, and liked it, not thinking I could afford one. I found a used on by accident, and, after driving about four used ones, found one I liked. Got a good deal, and a good deal on my trade-in. So far, the only problems I've had have been two low-beams headlights going out, and not being able to replace them myself. The oil level tester told me it had excess oil in it recently, so I scheduled it for service 1,400 miles early, but I'd rather not take any chances, and they'll replace the headlights for me. Seems like it only requires maintenance once a year, and alternating years are major, and minor services, so, not too bad. Car feels very solid. I like it.

A Superb Automobile!
By The Duke on 08/21/09 11:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2003 E320 from an independent service shop I've been dealing with for more than 15 years. My wife fell in love with how it handled, so I bought it without even a taking it on a test drive. My wife's intuition was right (once again). The E320 is superb! With 39,500 miles at purchase date, I still had over one year factory warranty and 10,000 miles remaining. I immediately took the E320 in the local MB dealership and ensured all factory warranty work and improvements were installed. No cost to me. A year later, at 50,000 miles/4 years, I again took it in to MB dealership. No cost to me. Last year I had the 60K service done by my independent dealer. An absolutely superb auto!

Heave Ho It must Go
By John Greenhill on 05/19/09 19:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it brand new, first Benz! Platinum Blue, beautiful to look at.....if you drove by the dealership...cause that is where it was most of the time. Horrible reliability, bordering on lemon! Never again, the dream is over!

a lifesaver
By 07boxster2 on 04/12/09 10:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this brand new. Within 6 mo. Had the steering rack replaced and several other minor problems. Radio is possessed and they've never been able to fix it. Car has only 48,000 miles after 6 years and a number of expensive nuisance repairs have had to be made. Shouldn't happen for the price and marque. It's a beautiful car: rides and drives wonderfully. Has also been a lifesaver for me......... Was taken out by a western star dump truck on the highway and only needed two doors replaced. She's a keeper ..... For now.

Best Car I've Ever Driven
By jefrazier on 04/09/09 19:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle over 3 years ago with reservations based on negative reviews from consumer reports. After purchasing and over 3 years of ownership, I can confidently say that this is the best car I've ever owned or driven, especially for highway driving. We've had a few issues..., new brake pads, and battery, but, overall the car has proven to be very reliable. The comfort level is like no other and I'm almost certain, when the time comes, we'll be purchasing another one.

Great car for a long time
By ST on 04/03/09 15:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I still love this car, even after 6 years. Drives, handles great for a luxury sedan, and I tend to drive fast. Air suspension allows changing suspension for different driving conditions. It really works. Only problems have been electronic and happened in first 15K mi. None since; just normal maintenance. Car still looks and drives like new at 80,000 miles.

Love it
By mbfan on 02/25/09 14:16 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have always dreamed of owning a M-Benz and have loved every second of it. It drives, rides, looks, everything the way I dreamed it would. Bought it with a extended warranty and 42000 miles. Only problems I have had have been with the seat memory and a little static on the stereo. Millage is good on the highway at 28.9 mpg.

Beautiful car
By zaitoun on 09/18/08 05:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Very beautiful car to drive. very reliable. I only send it to the shop every 12000 miles for check up. No mechanical or electrical problem.