Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

L e m o n !!!!
By e320mb

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Boy, did I get a lemon! I have had the car for almost 5 years now, bought it used at 3 years and have spent thousands of dollars to keep it on the road. In the last 6 months, I have only driven 3,000 kms due to not trusting its reliability and now when it needs it's snowtires off, the repairs of $2,880 shocks me yet again. Every time I take it for service it costs me thousands. Will be dumping it for something reliable = perhaps a Toyota - anything has got to be better than this. Talk about mis-advertising because this baby sure does not prove German engineering. Must have been a Monday or Friday car or when MB was associated with Chrysler, used Chrysler parts and charged MB prices.

Favorite Features

Smooth quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Use parts made from something other than plastic and warranty your cars to represent the price you charge.

Fun to drive
By koolcar

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought 2003 MB E320. Though my car is 7 years old, but it looks like brand new from inside and outside. E320 is very roomy, very reliable, very smooth in driving. My wife and kids love this car. This car is very reliable, fun to drive. I can expect that .5% cars might have issues with electronics etc. This is normal. No car can be 100% perfect.

Favorite Features

Luxury and smooth drive.

Suggested Improvements

- Trim mechanics need improvement. - Cup holder does not meet North American style. It should be non mechanics.

Great car but not cheap to own
By RDV

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought her new in Oct 02. Still drives great, interior holding up well. Handling is a little mushy for my taste. Trans occasionally hunts for right gear but otherwise smooth. BEWARE-repairs are pricey. Just fixing a rattling heat shield was $250. I use an independent, Benz-only shop and it's still expensive to maintain. Had to replace heater valve last winter - $500. All in all, love the E class (evidenced by my decision to buy a new 2011 E350) but she definitely ain't cheap to own and operate. I'd be very careful if buying a used one.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and steering wheel. Generous interior size. Decent fuel economy for size. Build quality excellent. Valets still park it out front.

Suggested Improvements

Pre-iPod Benz audio systems are generally weak and this one is no exception. Floaty handling at high speeds. Trans shifts a bit lazy. Maintenance costs that can bankrupt a small country.

3 years later
By Tony

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I reviewed this model favorably when I first purchased used in 2006. Now, it is a different story. Repairs are extremely expensive and many can only be done at a dealer. Yesterday, the car left me stranded for the second time in 2 years. Again, an excellent independent shop is not equipped to handle. Another fuel injector type of problem. I have owned BMW's, Infinity, and Jag's in the past so I'm used to expensive repairs. But this car has been babied and just turned 70K miles, too young for these types of problems. Buy only if still under manufacturer warranty. Otherwise, avoid all German sedans and buy an Infiniti. Sure, the style/status is not the same, but an Infinity IS dependable

Favorite Features

nice interior

Suggested Improvements

cup holders, as with all German cars, are a joke. Mechanicals need quality improvement. If Japan can do it, why not the Germans. Forget GPS, MP#, and all the rest of this junk and shore up the basic mechanicals.

Worst car ever bought
By sonya

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have spent over 6,000 in the last 10 months for problems we shouldn't have. some repairs started at about 65,000 and I mean major repairs. This year, front end, sensors of all kinds at about 90,000. Just keeps on. Can't buy another car for awhile since we're retired and the crooks at the Feds did a good job of evaporation of our IRA. Our other Merc was just fine. A 1998. We thought this Mercedes would last us awhile.

Favorite Features

Love the way it handles and rides.

Suggested Improvements

better quality of interior and electronics.