Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Good car after kinks
By AtlantaLady

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After the first 4000 miles, car seemed to have more power and was more fun to drive. You'll look good in it, because it has a beautiful body. I would have bought the highly rated BMW 5301 if the 2003 model looked better.

Favorite Features

Exterior body. Handles and accelerates well, after it was broken in. The seats are extremely comfortable and adjustable, even in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Audio system is too complicated. Need to push too many buttons. Hard to reset clock and trip odometer. Interior is hard to keep clean (even after I Scotchguarded it).

A Superb Automobile!
By The Duke

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2003 E320 from an independent service shop I've been dealing with for more than 15 years. My wife fell in love with how it handled, so I bought it without even a taking it on a test drive. My wife's intuition was right (once again). The E320 is superb! With 39,500 miles at purchase date, I still had over one year factory warranty and 10,000 miles remaining. I immediately took the E320 in the local MB dealership and ensured all factory warranty work and improvements were installed. No cost to me. A year later, at 50,000 miles/4 years, I again took it in to MB dealership. No cost to me. Last year I had the 60K service done by my independent dealer. An absolutely superb auto!

Favorite Features

Superb style, quality, safety, and gas mileage. Excellent German engineering.

Suggested Improvements

Driver's seat is not up to par. After 3 years of driving, I still have not found a truly comfortable position that adequately supports my long legs.

Great Car
By Touchdown Tony

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this as an expired lease vehicle with 27500 miles. Was concerned at first as Consumer Reports stated reliability problems. After 5 months and 6000 miles, I can say without reservation that I love this car. To put this comment in perspective, my last car was a 528i BMW that was always in the shop. While the BMW was nice, the Mercedes is much more refined. Feel like a grown-up driving this car versus a 50 year-old in a midlife crisis when driving the BMW. No problems what-so-ever. Fantastic mileage. Beautifully designed. However, a few quirks as loud cold starts till lifters get lubricated. Also, the Germans likely show their contempt for Americans by poor design of the cupholders.

Favorite Features

Exterior design. Comfort items inside car. Great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders that have some useful function. Steering wheel and Headliner looks cheap for this pricepoint.

Fun to drive
By koolcar

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought 2003 MB E320. Though my car is 7 years old, but it looks like brand new from inside and outside. E320 is very roomy, very reliable, very smooth in driving. My wife and kids love this car. This car is very reliable, fun to drive. I can expect that .5% cars might have issues with electronics etc. This is normal. No car can be 100% perfect.

Favorite Features

Luxury and smooth drive.

Suggested Improvements

- Trim mechanics need improvement. - Cup holder does not meet North American style. It should be non mechanics.

Worst time for Mercedes?
By freddys555

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I regret to say that this was the worst Mercedes I have ever owned. It seemed that something went wrong with it every other week. The digital read-outs on main display failed causing to lose the ability to use particular options, HVAC system completely failed and needed total replacement, window regulator failures, side mirror motor failures, seat heater failures, seat adjustment motor failure, trunk release failure, fluid leaks, engine mounts needed replacement (@ 60K miles!), and many more malfunctions. Despite this being Mercedes, nobody should be experiencing this many problems with a car costing this much. It is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

V8 engine, suspension, interior comfort

Suggested Improvements

This was the 2nd Mercedes I bought. Regretfully, my experience with this model has discouraged me from ever buying another Mercedes product. I certainly hope the newer Mercedes models have improved, especially with their electronics.