2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Always Will
By khanbaba on 12/03/12 07:42 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2003 E320 with 35,000 in August 2007. Also bought an extended warranty through Mercury Insurance out of Oklahoma City for up to 5 additional years or 100,000 miles for $3,000. The warranty paid off. Parkplace Motorcars in Dallas maitained it and I never had to spend any money on it for 5 years other than normal wear and tear. Its been a great car and now has 101,000 miles. Ready to put new Michelin tires now. I intend to keep it unless someone who appreciate a well maintained/documents car and offers me what I can't refuse. My wife drives it like her own baby.

L e m o n !!!!
By e320mb on 04/16/11 12:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Boy, did I get a lemon! I have had the car for almost 5 years now, bought it used at 3 years and have spent thousands of dollars to keep it on the road. In the last 6 months, I have only driven 3,000 kms due to not trusting its reliability and now when it needs it's snowtires off, the repairs of $2,880 shocks me yet again. Every time I take it for service it costs me thousands. Will be dumping it for something reliable = perhaps a Toyota - anything has got to be better than this. Talk about mis-advertising because this baby sure does not prove German engineering. Must have been a Monday or Friday car or when MB was associated with Chrysler, used Chrysler parts and charged MB prices.

Fun to drive
By koolcar on 12/10/10 16:40 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought 2003 MB E320. Though my car is 7 years old, but it looks like brand new from inside and outside. E320 is very roomy, very reliable, very smooth in driving. My wife and kids love this car. This car is very reliable, fun to drive. I can expect that .5% cars might have issues with electronics etc. This is normal. No car can be 100% perfect.

Great car but not cheap to own
By RDV on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought her new in Oct 02. Still drives great, interior holding up well. Handling is a little mushy for my taste. Trans occasionally hunts for right gear but otherwise smooth. BEWARE-repairs are pricey. Just fixing a rattling heat shield was $250. I use an independent, Benz-only shop and it's still expensive to maintain. Had to replace heater valve last winter - $500. All in all, love the E class (evidenced by my decision to buy a new 2011 E350) but she definitely ain't cheap to own and operate. I'd be very careful if buying a used one.

3 years later
By Tony on 05/26/10 10:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I reviewed this model favorably when I first purchased used in 2006. Now, it is a different story. Repairs are extremely expensive and many can only be done at a dealer. Yesterday, the car left me stranded for the second time in 2 years. Again, an excellent independent shop is not equipped to handle. Another fuel injector type of problem. I have owned BMW's, Infinity, and Jag's in the past so I'm used to expensive repairs. But this car has been babied and just turned 70K miles, too young for these types of problems. Buy only if still under manufacturer warranty. Otherwise, avoid all German sedans and buy an Infiniti. Sure, the style/status is not the same, but an Infinity IS dependable

Worst car ever bought
By sonya on 04/14/10 08:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have spent over 6,000 in the last 10 months for problems we shouldn't have. some repairs started at about 65,000 and I mean major repairs. This year, front end, sensors of all kinds at about 90,000. Just keeps on. Can't buy another car for awhile since we're retired and the crooks at the Feds did a good job of evaporation of our IRA. Our other Merc was just fine. A 1998. We thought this Mercedes would last us awhile.

2003 E320 RWD
By jonduro on 03/13/10 16:31 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

bought this car with 55800 miles. The interior is very comfortable and stylish. The car is somewhat heavy but the engine has good power. I consistently get 21 city and 29 highway when on cruise control. The looks are ok but the newer models are now better. As far as reliability it has served me well. It goes 10k miles between oil changes. I do take care of car and do not drive it aggressively. It is a cruiser not a racecar. The feeling behind wheel is not great because it is too comfortable and big. Overall is a good car. Keep regular maintenance take care of it. Repairs can be pricey but you do get what you pay or don't pay for.

Top of The Line Design/Workmanship
By 2d Force Recon on 01/01/10 08:48 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I use midgrade gas and this has served me well. 125K to date and highway mileage 27-30 mpg at 65-71 MPH. Heated steering wheel does not operate at low (40 and below) temp until vehicle warms up. At 6' I drive with seat all the way back and the side cloth is worn from getting in and out of drivers side. Living in PA I have not had a problem with the vehicle being RWD, in ALL KINDS OF SNOW.

Only a little nervous
By David on 11/21/09 09:24 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I rode in someone else's E500, and liked it, not thinking I could afford one. I found a used on by accident, and, after driving about four used ones, found one I liked. Got a good deal, and a good deal on my trade-in. So far, the only problems I've had have been two low-beams headlights going out, and not being able to replace them myself. The oil level tester told me it had excess oil in it recently, so I scheduled it for service 1,400 miles early, but I'd rather not take any chances, and they'll replace the headlights for me. Seems like it only requires maintenance once a year, and alternating years are major, and minor services, so, not too bad. Car feels very solid. I like it.

A Superb Automobile!
By The Duke on 08/21/09 11:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2003 E320 from an independent service shop I've been dealing with for more than 15 years. My wife fell in love with how it handled, so I bought it without even a taking it on a test drive. My wife's intuition was right (once again). The E320 is superb! With 39,500 miles at purchase date, I still had over one year factory warranty and 10,000 miles remaining. I immediately took the E320 in the local MB dealership and ensured all factory warranty work and improvements were installed. No cost to me. A year later, at 50,000 miles/4 years, I again took it in to MB dealership. No cost to me. Last year I had the 60K service done by my independent dealer. An absolutely superb auto!