Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

11 year old E320 Avantguarde
By crclark

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car from a dealer that had it sitting for 4 years. It had a few minor problems that I have repaired myself. This car is the family favorite by far, its very fun to drive. We just took a 2000 mile round trip at 75-80 MPH and got 30 MPG !!!. I have never ridden or driven a vehicle that rides or handles like this car. My wife LOVES this car. The problems we've had are minor and easily repaired by myself and the prices for parts are not any different than my Ford diesel truck or my Jeep. Just shop around, google is your friend.

Favorite Features

Ride Quality Engineering comfort safety breaks way ahead of the safety / technology curve. My 2003 E320 Avantguarde has features that haven't come on other vehicles till recently. Fuel economy at 80 MPH, (yes the speed limit in my state is 80 MPH in places. Handling Looks

Suggested Improvements

none

Poorly design and manufactured vehicle
By duel1013

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Nothing but failures, suspension, AC/Heat, computer, sensors, on and on. When running the car is a joy to drive. However, the maintenance expense before and after the warranty is the worst I have ever experienced in all my years of owning cars. The experienced has been nothing but a let down of my expectations of owning a certified pre-owned vehicle with less than 20,000 miles when I purchased it. Definitely has lowered my opinion of the franchise.

Favorite Features

Ride and drive was great, when running.

Suggested Improvements

No many to mention. Better parts would be a definite start.

Worst time for Mercedes?
By freddys555

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I regret to say that this was the worst Mercedes I have ever owned. It seemed that something went wrong with it every other week. The digital read-outs on main display failed causing to lose the ability to use particular options, HVAC system completely failed and needed total replacement, window regulator failures, side mirror motor failures, seat heater failures, seat adjustment motor failure, trunk release failure, fluid leaks, engine mounts needed replacement (@ 60K miles!), and many more malfunctions. Despite this being Mercedes, nobody should be experiencing this many problems with a car costing this much. It is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

V8 engine, suspension, interior comfort

Suggested Improvements

This was the 2nd Mercedes I bought. Regretfully, my experience with this model has discouraged me from ever buying another Mercedes product. I certainly hope the newer Mercedes models have improved, especially with their electronics.

Always Will
By khanbaba

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2003 E320 with 35,000 in August 2007. Also bought an extended warranty through Mercury Insurance out of Oklahoma City for up to 5 additional years or 100,000 miles for $3,000. The warranty paid off. Parkplace Motorcars in Dallas maitained it and I never had to spend any money on it for 5 years other than normal wear and tear. Its been a great car and now has 101,000 miles. Ready to put new Michelin tires now. I intend to keep it unless someone who appreciate a well maintained/documents car and offers me what I can't refuse. My wife drives it like her own baby.

Favorite Features

Ride, Comfort, Reliability, Braking, Ease of Working on the Engine, Accelaration, and no road noise with Michelin tires.

Suggested Improvements

The sun visor could have made to function better. Also, could have used less plastic in the interior.

one year into owning...never again
By damnnn

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought mine with miliage 90k, car was 7 years old. I enjoyed it for a few months, and then prolems started to appear. First, transmission started to give me headache, and a month later it completely broke, next: radiator, pheumatic pump, sensors. all together about 6,000 in repairs...a little costly for one year into ownership... Although beautfull and fun to drive but (only in a straight, about 150). At the conclusion, my lesson learned, for germans "only lease"!!!!

Favorite Features

power, big torque, comfort, contols, feeling of being in the spaceship

Suggested Improvements

reliability and cost efficiency for used cars