Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

E55 AMG 5.5L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

Not for the faint of heart
By Rob

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

By far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I traded in a 1999 E430 for this car, and she was certainly worth it. The acceleration of this velicle is unbelievable. My wife hates to ride with me, especially if we're merging unto the interstate (prime opportunity to to show off). I would only recommend this car to those whom a doctor has certified as healthy.

Looks, style, engine, the whole nine yards.

Better sound system. I've replaced the rear speaker twice.

E55 Review
By MP

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

One of the most versatile vehicles I have ever owned. One day it's a road warrior with incredible performance. The next day it's a family vehicle that seats 5 comfortably.

Tiptronic, active suspension

More standard features vs options

Near perfection
By Bob Corder

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Having this much torque & horsepower makes it almost too easy to drive. Unbelievable acceleration --- from standing start or passing at speed --- just punch it and hold on. Traded a 2003 SL500 to get AMG engine, 5 passenger seating and a really nice trunk. I preferred the SL500 suspension and quicker steering but the E55 engine & transmission make this a preferable choice. This is a stealthy car. Not too many realize what a beast it is. It lives up to the advertising. Not one problem to report at 12,000+ miles. There was one recall for brakes and one fix for suspension --- car pulled to the right. An article in Star magazine pointed out this problem which was fixed under warranty.

Love all that horsepower & torque. It gets really good gas mileage --- 18-19 in town, 22-23 highway... provided you control your right foot. Seats are very comfortable.

The 'Comfort' setting for suspension needs to be softer. 'Sport 1 & 2' settings are really good. Do away with that analog clock & put a gauge or gauges in that space. A larger tach would be nice, too. The Conti Sport Contact 2 tires got really noisy at 6,000 miles.

Runs Like an Olympian
By Javierdpm

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Fantastic car. My first MB experience and quite good. I'm getting a new one later this year. Same performance as an SL55 with room for 5. Prefer Panorama Roof to an all out convertible.

ESP is an absolute MUST in wet weather.

Tires "hum" loudly (originals) in dry pavement. Potenzas cured it.

fastest 4 door sedan
By LouM

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

It certainly is the most powerful auto I have owned, faster than my 1990 ZR-1 and 1967 Shelby GT500. It is comfortable and quiet. I have obtained 22.5 mpg on the highway but it does enjoy a drink in town and will do about 13.5 mpg. I wish the navigation system were more like my Lexus SC430'swhich is very easy to use. Guess I just have to accept that it is "German".

Engine and transmission

Navigation system, touch screen.