2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Poorly design and manufactured vehicle
By duel1013 on 02/26/14 19:59 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Nothing but failures, suspension, AC/Heat, computer, sensors, on and on. When running the car is a joy to drive. However, the maintenance expense before and after the warranty is the worst I have ever experienced in all my years of owning cars. The experienced has been nothing but a let down of my expectations of owning a certified pre-owned vehicle with less than 20,000 miles when I purchased it. Definitely has lowered my opinion of the franchise.

Worst time for Mercedes?
By freddys555 on 07/02/13 18:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I regret to say that this was the worst Mercedes I have ever owned. It seemed that something went wrong with it every other week. The digital read-outs on main display failed causing to lose the ability to use particular options, HVAC system completely failed and needed total replacement, window regulator failures, side mirror motor failures, seat heater failures, seat adjustment motor failure, trunk release failure, fluid leaks, engine mounts needed replacement (@ 60K miles!), and many more malfunctions. Despite this being Mercedes, nobody should be experiencing this many problems with a car costing this much. It is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

Always Will
By khanbaba on 12/03/12 07:42 AM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2003 E320 with 35,000 in August 2007. Also bought an extended warranty through Mercury Insurance out of Oklahoma City for up to 5 additional years or 100,000 miles for $3,000. The warranty paid off. Parkplace Motorcars in Dallas maitained it and I never had to spend any money on it for 5 years other than normal wear and tear. Its been a great car and now has 101,000 miles. Ready to put new Michelin tires now. I intend to keep it unless someone who appreciate a well maintained/documents car and offers me what I can't refuse. My wife drives it like her own baby.

one year into owning...never again
By damnnn on 01/04/12 21:31 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought mine with miliage 90k, car was 7 years old. I enjoyed it for a few months, and then prolems started to appear. First, transmission started to give me headache, and a month later it completely broke, next: radiator, pheumatic pump, sensors. all together about 6,000 in repairs...a little costly for one year into ownership... Although beautfull and fun to drive but (only in a straight, about 150). At the conclusion, my lesson learned, for germans "only lease"!!!!

L e m o n !!!!
By e320mb on 04/16/11 12:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Boy, did I get a lemon! I have had the car for almost 5 years now, bought it used at 3 years and have spent thousands of dollars to keep it on the road. In the last 6 months, I have only driven 3,000 kms due to not trusting its reliability and now when it needs it's snowtires off, the repairs of $2,880 shocks me yet again. Every time I take it for service it costs me thousands. Will be dumping it for something reliable = perhaps a Toyota - anything has got to be better than this. Talk about mis-advertising because this baby sure does not prove German engineering. Must have been a Monday or Friday car or when MB was associated with Chrysler, used Chrysler parts and charged MB prices.

Fun to drive
By koolcar on 12/10/10 16:40 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought 2003 MB E320. Though my car is 7 years old, but it looks like brand new from inside and outside. E320 is very roomy, very reliable, very smooth in driving. My wife and kids love this car. This car is very reliable, fun to drive. I can expect that .5% cars might have issues with electronics etc. This is normal. No car can be 100% perfect.

Great car but not cheap to own
By RDV on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought her new in Oct 02. Still drives great, interior holding up well. Handling is a little mushy for my taste. Trans occasionally hunts for right gear but otherwise smooth. BEWARE-repairs are pricey. Just fixing a rattling heat shield was $250. I use an independent, Benz-only shop and it's still expensive to maintain. Had to replace heater valve last winter - $500. All in all, love the E class (evidenced by my decision to buy a new 2011 E350) but she definitely ain't cheap to own and operate. I'd be very careful if buying a used one.

3 years later
By Tony on 05/26/10 10:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I reviewed this model favorably when I first purchased used in 2006. Now, it is a different story. Repairs are extremely expensive and many can only be done at a dealer. Yesterday, the car left me stranded for the second time in 2 years. Again, an excellent independent shop is not equipped to handle. Another fuel injector type of problem. I have owned BMW's, Infinity, and Jag's in the past so I'm used to expensive repairs. But this car has been babied and just turned 70K miles, too young for these types of problems. Buy only if still under manufacturer warranty. Otherwise, avoid all German sedans and buy an Infiniti. Sure, the style/status is not the same, but an Infinity IS dependable

Worst car ever bought
By sonya on 04/14/10 08:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have spent over 6,000 in the last 10 months for problems we shouldn't have. some repairs started at about 65,000 and I mean major repairs. This year, front end, sensors of all kinds at about 90,000. Just keeps on. Can't buy another car for awhile since we're retired and the crooks at the Feds did a good job of evaporation of our IRA. Our other Merc was just fine. A 1998. We thought this Mercedes would last us awhile.

2003 E320 RWD
By jonduro on 03/13/10 16:31 PM (PST)

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

bought this car with 55800 miles. The interior is very comfortable and stylish. The car is somewhat heavy but the engine has good power. I consistently get 21 city and 29 highway when on cruise control. The looks are ok but the newer models are now better. As far as reliability it has served me well. It goes 10k miles between oil changes. I do take care of car and do not drive it aggressively. It is a cruiser not a racecar. The feeling behind wheel is not great because it is too comfortable and big. Overall is a good car. Keep regular maintenance take care of it. Repairs can be pricey but you do get what you pay or don't pay for.