Mercedes Benz, a complete waste of money
By Heidelberg on
2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)
First off, I call myself "upgrading" from a 1998 Lexus GS300, but soon found out that I actually "downgraded" myself in this German problem. The air conditioner failed 2 times - one time it failed as soon as I picked the car up from being serviced. The brakes are an ongoing problem - they don't last more than 3 months and the brake dust that accumulates on my wheels (in the course of 1 day after cleaning them) is completely out of control. The fit and finish with the car is horrible: the interior door handle is peeling on both doors, bulbs constantly go out, the dashboard illumination is failing (which means no clock), etc. My advice, get a Lexus - when my lease expires, I certainly will!
Favorite Features
The car performs very well on the highway and manevers exceptionally well when that "idiot L.A. driver" doesn't signal when changing lanes.
Suggested Improvements
Mercedes-Benz needs to take a reality check and look at how poor their cars have been over the past 4 years. When I go to the dealer's service department, as a customer, I shouldn't see fairly new cars lined up 30 deep to be repaired. In short, Mercedes' legacy vehicles (before 2001) are the best.
By nigelboy
on 09/25/12 08:27 AM (PDT)

I bought my first Mercedes in 2005. It is a 2002 E320. GREAT CAR. It had only 29k on it. This body style for me is far more Mercedes than the current one, that looks like so many other cars today. It turns on a dime, is quiet, gets great gas mileage and is so comfortable. She has plenty of room, I feel very safe it in it I'm wondering if other owners have had these seemingly chronic and innate issues with the car: visor mirrors just broke off, one landed in my lap! head lights burning bulbs and clouding up, (they should be glass) window regulators, especially in the rear, (mine have broken twice! and being a single guy, no one is in the back) rust! yes, on the roof at the sunroof moldings!! windshield washer resevoir,, has cracked twice! seems like a lot of issues, but when compared to an American car with 120k miles, .......... and NOT garaged. I have a garage now, and plan on "restoring" her to "new". She's earned it! any suggestions as to where to find new seat skins, headliner replacement and steering wheel skins? I live in Boca Raton Florida...THANKS!