2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
unidentify noise
By wjp1 on 06/04/12 07:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 02 E 430 SPt SEDAN NEW. I have no problem in over 10 years. Only minor repairs. The vehicle performance magnificent,strong unbelievable aggressive acceleration and amazing handling , with the MECHANICALLY RELIABLE POWERFULL 4.3L V 8 engine AS APPRX. 160,000 MILES I want to keep this car for a while longer. I AM EXPERIENCING ONE RECENT PROBLEM, I JUST PUT A NEW A/C SYSTEM IN THE VEHICLE, BUT AROUND APPROX. 1000-1200 RPM I GET A DRAGGING PANORAMIC SOUND THAT GO AWAY OVER 1200 RPM. WHEN THE A/C SYSTEM IS ON ONLY. WE REPLACED THE UNIT BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE. THE LOCAL M-BENZ DEALERSHIP NEVER EXPERIENCE NOTHING LIKE THIS. I still have the noise and need help.

Rolling Passion
By don1978 on 02/08/11 20:30 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this automobile has been an absolute joy. It hasn't always been smooth sailing. Have had to replace a motor mount and alternator; booth covered under warranty. Other than that it's been very reliable and has allowed me many enjoyable miles to reflect on what this car is really about. It does everything well. Sure a BMW 5-series will out handle this car but as a whole this rolling rocket is pure solid power wrapped in a much more elegant package. While driving you can feel as though the engineers have spent many sleepless nights designing this car; sweating every detail. Overengineered and it shows. Passion for their craft has inspired me. I Will have this car a very long time.

Capable family car
By Dan on 09/19/08 13:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Plenty of passing power. Don't be fooled by the looks, this is not grandpa's Mercedes. Great legroom. Mechanically reliable. I always have a smile driving this car, until it's time to refill.

Elegance, power and prestige
By MOISES MALOWANY on 06/09/06 21:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

A great car to drive if you enjoy driving! Power all around. At start, when passing in tight driving areas, and superb handling. All at a very reasonable miles per gallon. Average city and highway about 21 mls/gl. One of the best Mercedes I ever drove.

Mercedes Benz, a complete waste of money
By Heidelberg on 09/01/05 23:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

First off, I call myself "upgrading" from a 1998 Lexus GS300, but soon found out that I actually "downgraded" myself in this German problem. The air conditioner failed 2 times - one time it failed as soon as I picked the car up from being serviced. The brakes are an ongoing problem - they don't last more than 3 months and the brake dust that accumulates on my wheels (in the course of 1 day after cleaning them) is completely out of control. The fit and finish with the car is horrible: the interior door handle is peeling on both doors, bulbs constantly go out, the dashboard illumination is failing (which means no clock), etc. My advice, get a Lexus - when my lease expires, I certainly will!

I expected the best and I got the best!
By Moises789 on 11/13/04 22:32 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

My 2002 Mercedes-Benz E430 is an xcellent overall sedan. It has great performance, great handling, and has been trouble free.

MB at its best
By MB Driver on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Long time dream of driving a MB finally came true. Very sophisticated drive, smooth, but not overly soft suspension. 430 engine is excellent. Feels tank- sturdy despite being relatively light- weight. Bought and plan to drive it for 10 or so years, will serve me just fine and will look just as respectable as today - they hold value and prestige very well.

Great family car
By joy5d2002 on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Considered LS and 540. Chose E430 for good blend of performance and luxury. It's perfect for our family of 4.

Whadabout da paint chips!
By Jason James on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've only had this car for about 4 months now but this car is great. I love the way it looks from the outside, but the interior could be better. The V8 is just right for me, but that doesn't mean that the E320 is weak and slow. I love this car. But am I the only person that notices how easily this car gets paint chips? This is my biggest problem with the car. I think the older models had more durable paint.

Comfort and Fun
By MojoIojo on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The exterior is a work of art. Although the 2003 is redesigned, I still think my model looks great due to Merc's styling concept. The interior is conservative and sufficiently comfortable, which is what I expect for such an automobile, but I find every gadget useful and logically in place. However, the cupholders could be better. The ride and acceleration is smooth and quick, and the handling is good for such a heavy and relatively heavy car. Although the Lexus LS430 may be less expensive, it doesn't seem to have a unique character. The styling appears to mimic that of the E- series. In addition, it looks bland.