Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

unidentify noise
By wjp1

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 02 E 430 SPt SEDAN NEW. I have no problem in over 10 years. Only minor repairs. The vehicle performance magnificent,strong unbelievable aggressive acceleration and amazing handling , with the MECHANICALLY RELIABLE POWERFULL 4.3L V 8 engine AS APPRX. 160,000 MILES I want to keep this car for a while longer. I AM EXPERIENCING ONE RECENT PROBLEM, I JUST PUT A NEW A/C SYSTEM IN THE VEHICLE, BUT AROUND APPROX. 1000-1200 RPM I GET A DRAGGING PANORAMIC SOUND THAT GO AWAY OVER 1200 RPM. WHEN THE A/C SYSTEM IS ON ONLY. WE REPLACED THE UNIT BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE. THE LOCAL M-BENZ DEALERSHIP NEVER EXPERIENCE NOTHING LIKE THIS. I still have the noise and need help.

THE CAR OFTER 10 YEARS RUNS LIKE NEW.safety,reliable,comfort,proven strong performance, minor complaints,great to drive on long distances.

could use less plastic on some of the interior parts.

Rolling Passion
By don1978

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this automobile has been an absolute joy. It hasn't always been smooth sailing. Have had to replace a motor mount and alternator; booth covered under warranty. Other than that it's been very reliable and has allowed me many enjoyable miles to reflect on what this car is really about. It does everything well. Sure a BMW 5-series will out handle this car but as a whole this rolling rocket is pure solid power wrapped in a much more elegant package. While driving you can feel as though the engineers have spent many sleepless nights designing this car; sweating every detail. Overengineered and it shows. Passion for their craft has inspired me. I Will have this car a very long time.

Love the 8 cylinder power and sophistication. Love the unflappable chassis. Great built quality. Timeless design. Yes, the car is overengineered, and components will probabaly break but when they work, it's flawless. Love the single windshield wiper.

Overengineered.

Capable family car
By Dan

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Plenty of passing power. Don't be fooled by the looks, this is not grandpa's Mercedes. Great legroom. Mechanically reliable. I always have a smile driving this car, until it's time to refill.

Acceleration capability well beyond average driver's needs. Feels very secure and composed even at high speeds. The perfect car for long distances.

Driver seat lacks support. Digital gear & mileage display fails after a while ($1,000 to replace). Gas guzzler.

Elegance, power and prestige
By MOISES MALOWANY

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

A great car to drive if you enjoy driving! Power all around. At start, when passing in tight driving areas, and superb handling. All at a very reasonable miles per gallon. Average city and highway about 21 mls/gl. One of the best Mercedes I ever drove.

Power, handling, and that special feeling that confirms that you are behind the wheel of a great car.

CD player with 5 or 6 disc changer accessible in the dashboard.

Mercedes Benz, a complete waste of money
By Heidelberg

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

First off, I call myself "upgrading" from a 1998 Lexus GS300, but soon found out that I actually "downgraded" myself in this German problem. The air conditioner failed 2 times - one time it failed as soon as I picked the car up from being serviced. The brakes are an ongoing problem - they don't last more than 3 months and the brake dust that accumulates on my wheels (in the course of 1 day after cleaning them) is completely out of control. The fit and finish with the car is horrible: the interior door handle is peeling on both doors, bulbs constantly go out, the dashboard illumination is failing (which means no clock), etc. My advice, get a Lexus - when my lease expires, I certainly will!

The car performs very well on the highway and manevers exceptionally well when that "idiot L.A. driver" doesn't signal when changing lanes.

Mercedes-Benz needs to take a reality check and look at how poor their cars have been over the past 4 years. When I go to the dealer's service department, as a customer, I shouldn't see fairly new cars lined up 30 deep to be repaired. In short, Mercedes' legacy vehicles (before 2001) are the best.