Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

unidentify noise
By wjp1

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 02 E 430 SPt SEDAN NEW. I have no problem in over 10 years. Only minor repairs. The vehicle performance magnificent,strong unbelievable aggressive acceleration and amazing handling , with the MECHANICALLY RELIABLE POWERFULL 4.3L V 8 engine AS APPRX. 160,000 MILES I want to keep this car for a while longer. I AM EXPERIENCING ONE RECENT PROBLEM, I JUST PUT A NEW A/C SYSTEM IN THE VEHICLE, BUT AROUND APPROX. 1000-1200 RPM I GET A DRAGGING PANORAMIC SOUND THAT GO AWAY OVER 1200 RPM. WHEN THE A/C SYSTEM IS ON ONLY. WE REPLACED THE UNIT BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE. THE LOCAL M-BENZ DEALERSHIP NEVER EXPERIENCE NOTHING LIKE THIS. I still have the noise and need help.

THE CAR OFTER 10 YEARS RUNS LIKE NEW.safety,reliable,comfort,proven strong performance, minor complaints,great to drive on long distances.

could use less plastic on some of the interior parts.

Rolling Passion
By don1978

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this automobile has been an absolute joy. It hasn't always been smooth sailing. Have had to replace a motor mount and alternator; booth covered under warranty. Other than that it's been very reliable and has allowed me many enjoyable miles to reflect on what this car is really about. It does everything well. Sure a BMW 5-series will out handle this car but as a whole this rolling rocket is pure solid power wrapped in a much more elegant package. While driving you can feel as though the engineers have spent many sleepless nights designing this car; sweating every detail. Overengineered and it shows. Passion for their craft has inspired me. I Will have this car a very long time.

Love the 8 cylinder power and sophistication. Love the unflappable chassis. Great built quality. Timeless design. Yes, the car is overengineered, and components will probabaly break but when they work, it's flawless. Love the single windshield wiper.

Overengineered.

First Luxury Vehicle
By Felt32

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I fell in love with Mercedes after I first drive a used one and the drive was like I was riding on Clouds. There wasn't any outside noise with the windows rolled up and I was just very impressed with this used German vehicle!!

The ride/drive, Quality of the interior, Reliability (being a used vehicle)

Exterior, Gas Mileage, Cost to Maintain

Solid German tank; won't let you down
By FJ

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

What a great car. My first E-class, an E430, was totaled, and the same dealership got me into an E320 4Matic. Excellent ride; a joy to do some DIY work to, easy to work on and find OEM parts online, and a great community of owners at various sites, including benzworld dot org. I've had Lexus and I just can't get over how much better the German ride is and how well Mercedes makes their vehicles. A completely different driving experience than even BMW and Audi, both brands I love as well. But for now, given the quality, fit and finish of these vehicles, I'm glad to see Benz took a step in the right direction with the W212 chassis (2010- up) and I'll be buying a used W212 wagon next!

Handling, road feel, 17" rims on Sport trim I own are gorgeous, the 3.2 liter V6 engine really has the torque where you need it unlike some Japanese luxury models of the same year; classic interior and exterior design; reliability is much better than Germans are ever given credit for.

This car is now out of production, so does it matter? Antiquated stock 16" wheel design is about the only complaint I ever had with this car. "Better cupholders" are for people who drive to get from A to B; this car drives like a dream.

Capable family car
By Dan

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Plenty of passing power. Don't be fooled by the looks, this is not grandpa's Mercedes. Great legroom. Mechanically reliable. I always have a smile driving this car, until it's time to refill.

Acceleration capability well beyond average driver's needs. Feels very secure and composed even at high speeds. The perfect car for long distances.

Driver seat lacks support. Digital gear & mileage display fails after a while ($1,000 to replace). Gas guzzler.