2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 E-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

unidentify noise
By wjp1

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 02 E 430 SPt SEDAN NEW. I have no problem in over 10 years. Only minor repairs. The vehicle performance magnificent,strong unbelievable aggressive acceleration and amazing handling , with the MECHANICALLY RELIABLE POWERFULL 4.3L V 8 engine AS APPRX. 160,000 MILES I want to keep this car for a while longer. I AM EXPERIENCING ONE RECENT PROBLEM, I JUST PUT A NEW A/C SYSTEM IN THE VEHICLE, BUT AROUND APPROX. 1000-1200 RPM I GET A DRAGGING PANORAMIC SOUND THAT GO AWAY OVER 1200 RPM. WHEN THE A/C SYSTEM IS ON ONLY. WE REPLACED THE UNIT BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE. THE LOCAL M-BENZ DEALERSHIP NEVER EXPERIENCE NOTHING LIKE THIS. I still have the noise and need help.

Favorite Features

THE CAR OFTER 10 YEARS RUNS LIKE NEW.safety,reliable,comfort,proven strong performance, minor complaints,great to drive on long distances.

Suggested Improvements

could use less plastic on some of the interior parts.

Rolling Passion
By don1978

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this automobile has been an absolute joy. It hasn't always been smooth sailing. Have had to replace a motor mount and alternator; booth covered under warranty. Other than that it's been very reliable and has allowed me many enjoyable miles to reflect on what this car is really about. It does everything well. Sure a BMW 5-series will out handle this car but as a whole this rolling rocket is pure solid power wrapped in a much more elegant package. While driving you can feel as though the engineers have spent many sleepless nights designing this car; sweating every detail. Overengineered and it shows. Passion for their craft has inspired me. I Will have this car a very long time.

Favorite Features

Love the 8 cylinder power and sophistication. Love the unflappable chassis. Great built quality. Timeless design. Yes, the car is overengineered, and components will probabaly break but when they work, it's flawless. Love the single windshield wiper.

Suggested Improvements

Overengineered.

First Luxury Vehicle
By Felt32

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I fell in love with Mercedes after I first drive a used one and the drive was like I was riding on Clouds. There wasn't any outside noise with the windows rolled up and I was just very impressed with this used German vehicle!!

Favorite Features

The ride/drive, Quality of the interior, Reliability (being a used vehicle)

Suggested Improvements

Exterior, Gas Mileage, Cost to Maintain

Solid German tank; won't let you down
By FJ

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

What a great car. My first E-class, an E430, was totaled, and the same dealership got me into an E320 4Matic. Excellent ride; a joy to do some DIY work to, easy to work on and find OEM parts online, and a great community of owners at various sites, including benzworld dot org. I've had Lexus and I just can't get over how much better the German ride is and how well Mercedes makes their vehicles. A completely different driving experience than even BMW and Audi, both brands I love as well. But for now, given the quality, fit and finish of these vehicles, I'm glad to see Benz took a step in the right direction with the W212 chassis (2010- up) and I'll be buying a used W212 wagon next!

Favorite Features

Handling, road feel, 17" rims on Sport trim I own are gorgeous, the 3.2 liter V6 engine really has the torque where you need it unlike some Japanese luxury models of the same year; classic interior and exterior design; reliability is much better than Germans are ever given credit for.

Suggested Improvements

This car is now out of production, so does it matter? Antiquated stock 16" wheel design is about the only complaint I ever had with this car. "Better cupholders" are for people who drive to get from A to B; this car drives like a dream.

Capable family car
By Dan

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Plenty of passing power. Don't be fooled by the looks, this is not grandpa's Mercedes. Great legroom. Mechanically reliable. I always have a smile driving this car, until it's time to refill.

Favorite Features

Acceleration capability well beyond average driver's needs. Feels very secure and composed even at high speeds. The perfect car for long distances.

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat lacks support. Digital gear & mileage display fails after a while ($1,000 to replace). Gas guzzler.

Luv-n It in Alaska
By Diamond_Dan

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this for my wife. The grandkids were coming home, and I wanted more security than the 04 Outback wagon. So, one day were cruising the lots in Fairbanks, AK. and find this sweet E320 4matic. So, we test drive and she is really liking the car, but is reserved. It is way more car than we have ever owned before. Now, I do own an 83 240D, and love it, 4spd 28 miles to the gallon on its second engine...but a 2002? Well I go to work, I drive the Dalton Hiway ...the haul road. When I get home 2 days later, the wife has had a change of heart...she had it all arranged. She loves the car. I've added a few things, 18" chromes, stainless window trim, and wash it every weekend. Love the silver!

Favorite Features

Awesome comfort, classic lines, quiet ride, even with 2+ size wheels and tires! Great handling and mileage, even with Alaska prices. Safety. Like Fort Knox for the family.

Suggested Improvements

I love the car so much, when my daughter came home with our 4 grandchildren I found her an 02 wagon 4matic!

Luv-en It!
By Luven It

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Love the E320! Loved the design of 2002 vs more recent models, classic vs a more cloned look. Ride is great, acceleration is awesome with a smooth transmission even after 5 years! Fit and finish is in wonderful condition even after 5 years. Was unsure if purchase of a used vehicle was a smart move but with 1 year of ownership under my belt, very happy I made the choice. Seat warmers are weak, front interior lights are too bright- like looking into the sun.

Favorite Features

Styling, acceleration/handling, functionable interior

Suggested Improvements

Who cares what I think, it's 2007!

2002 Mercedes E 320 w/Elegance Package
By Pete

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My first ever Mercedes. I am more than pleased with the car. I would caution buyers who are looking at buying a higher mileage car to take the car in for a transmission oil and filter change. Mercedes says it isn't needed, but mine did. Be sure to only use Mercedes-Benz transmission fluid. Older Mercedes cars are good cars for do-it-yourselfers who are willing to do the research to learn how to work on them. Internet makes this easy. Dealership service is expensive, but seldom needed. This is the best engineered car I've ever driven or owned. The fit and finish is perfect. I was astonished that such an aparently heavy car gets such good gas mileage (22 city / 29 hwy).

Favorite Features

Memory seats, rear deck power sun shade, auto-dimming mirrors, Bose sound system, smooth ride, solid as a rock body, elegance and status and resale value. Timeless styling and lasting luxury.

Suggested Improvements

Later models moved the power window switches to the door instead of the console. Console location was awkward. Lighted mirror on sun visor is made from cheap grade of plastic compared to the rest of the interior. Built in phone is useless once the technology becomes outdated.

SE320
By Yen

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Cheap materials both interior and exterior for an expensive car. Engine very quiet. Fixed A/C, radio in first year.

If you like the shop
By Not for me

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Having always wanted a Mercedes. I finally poneyed up the money and purchased a used 320 with only 37K miles on it. Since then I have been on a first name basis with my service advisor as I am bringing the car back to the shop almost every other month for different problems. Here is what has broken so far. Interior visors, both left and right due to the mirror covers hinge breaking (not covered under extended warranty) Catalytic converter at 70K. Ball Joints at 78K. Windshield washer resevoir (not covered $230). Instrument lighting. Entire radio. Voltage regulator. Most of this would not have been covered if I hadn't purchased the extended warranty. Too much for me. Back to Lexus

Favorite Features

Good looking car. Nice paint. Ergonomic.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that doesn't have so many issues. It's all the little things that break. I am extreemly careful in the driving and care of all my autos and have never owned a car with so many issues. Very expensive to maintain. Minimum $80 for oil change at local lube store, Couple of hundred at the dealer.