Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG

E55 AMG 5.4L V8 5-speed Automatic - (13 reviews )

So Glad I Bought This Car
By kstall3

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car with 90k miles and have driven it to 140k with only minor issues (headlight and window motor). The car will smoke about anything on the road and looks classy while doing so. I can get 25 MPG on the hwy, haul 4 adults and their stuff, and still toast all the Mustangs and the older Vettes. Routine maintenance is expensive - but tolerable. I am pretty sure this car will be remembered as a classic MB.

Favorite Features

Power, looks, reliability,

Suggested Improvements

The seats are uncomfortable after about 3 or 4 hours of driving. I wish the CD player was in the front and not in the truck.

E55 Rare to find Only 2000 w210's Total
By 4Everomeo

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I love this car. If you find one in good condition, with low mileage. Purchase and you will understand. At least test drive it! 0-60 in 4.9 and plenty of room for the kids and groceries. High forged pistons and AMG engine quality. Much better then Mercedes Benz alone. Buy a car with 100k miles, and your buying an AMG motor that will last almost twice as long. Unbelievable gas mileage, computer states exactly 24mpg on the highway at 75mph!!! An aggressive yet subtle styling. Very wide 275/45 rear tires. Even the elderly notice these! Took it to the dealer once after it was cleaned up, and was very very happy to see a few sales people line up to the window to look at my then 6year old car

Favorite Features

Acceleration, Handling is amazing for a 4door vehicle. The Monoblock rims are used since the 80's, yet they look Wonderful on this last year they used them in 02' The Stance of the car, I love how its a sleeper. The GRUMBLE of the engine!!! Lets you know you have 391 lbs of torque.....

Suggested Improvements

The tranny is pulled from the v12 SL 600.. Its a weird shifting automatic when you drive it slow through the gears. I find it shifts flawless when stepping on it. I have had the car for about 3yrs. Just buy one while you can. 17mpg city / 24mpg highway... still with 350 HP.

E 55 born to drive
By E 55 Fast

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I first drove a Benz a couple of years prior to owning one, and I never thought I would have so much fun! I looked at and drove BMW's, Audi's and a few domestics, but the E 55 blew them all away! With 355 bhp (according to factory specs) you'll be attaining 0-60 in just under 6 sec. It's a true rocket ship that I just have a lot of fun driving. True, a bit expensive on repairs, but this thing is worth the effort! Go get one and enjoy! BCR

Favorite Features

355 horsepower, triptronic/tiptronic, handling, great looks!

Suggested Improvements

Be focused when you look to buy, check out xenon 's, transmission, alternator and ac system. I found that these items can cause issues later if not found quickly.

MY E55
By Papidos

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

What a car! The fastest and best performing vehicle I've ever driven in 50 years. Can't beat the highway mileage too at 22+ mpg with this vehicle. Simply in a class by itself.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

None

Outstanding vehicle
By APS

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Incredible power (350 ho, 400 torque) fantastic handling, hard to believe it is a four door sedan. Also have an 02 E430 and this outperforms in every way. I'm getting 22 MPG on the highway at 70 - 80 MPH average, better than my 6 cylinder 95 legend (which is also a great car). Most amazing thing is unlimited power along the entire power curve, no lag anywhere. Handling is fantastic, maintains a flat stance in any curve and super quick response.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

All wheel drive version would be nice.