Cat Food Cans
By flyspech on
2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)
It's May 2011 and my '01 E320 has just 36k orig mi. on it; looks new inside and out. I anticipated owning this car until I couldn't buy tires to fit it. In May of '06, its 5th bday (the warrantee now as good as the paper it was printed on), we lost the right catalytic converter, in 6/08 the air conditioning just stopped, 4/09 the left side cat rattled us back to the shop, but today is special; today starts a week long diagnostic attempting to discover why neither infrared key will operate the ignition. Our '01 E320 is a great car to wash and keep in the garage. It especially looks good in the driveway. If my wife felt the same as me; it'd be pressed into lots of cat food cans.
Favorite Features
How the paint gleams on a sunny day.
Suggested Improvements
Just a few.
By mseibold
on 11/08/11 04:17 AM (PST)

I just bought a 2001 E320 beautifully maintained snow white with grey leather RWD Wagon with 102,000 miles on it in May 2011. It drives and performs like new; but after purchasing it, the local Mercedes experts found that it too needed a new catalytic converter on the one left side. Also at 102,000 the 12 spark plugs and wire sets were due for a change as was the oil. I followed all the official maintenance as advised by our local favorite Mercedes repair shop. It then performed and felt even more impressive after this advised maintenance than when I originally test drove it beofre purchasing. This car is simply the most impressive example of automotive engineering I have ever experienced. It was apparently last owned by the second owners, I assume younger people, judging from the low profile after-market chromed alloy glitter wheels they installed with very low 18" "flat runner" performance tires from LA. It handles and performs like a formula race car. I felt that I swung a great deal for just under $10,000. Until the mechanics found that much of the right side body tin had been replaced and/or rebuilt at one time- this apparently escaped the CarFax reports and the DMV in LA. Perhaps it was only a light side-swipe crinkle in three panels; the doors and rear quarter panel that had been replaced but whoever did this work took extra care to return it to near perfect original standards as everything looks practically original and fits tight and clean including the repainting. It must be a testament that a ‘ten year old Mercedes’ can take a moderate accident and still come out ahead as a rebuilt to outperform other newer cars of lesser standards than Mercedes. I constantly get rave responses initiated from random strangers on the streets- even officials such as police comment how impressive the car looks. Younger people and others overall say they like the appearance of the 2001 over the newer E320 models.

By kwhitt778
on 07/03/13 07:49 AM (PDT)

I agree that the E320 is a dream to drive! I found my E320 last year at an auto auctio. My car had every service record including the sale sticker that was in the window from a Mercedes dealership in Northern Virginia. I previously had a 330 ci BMW, and am way more impressed with the 320! The heated seats, in trunk 6 disc with bose, rear screen, HID lights and fogs and the list of other luxuries add to this cars comoforts! Maitenance is the same with any Mercedes, you dont drive them because they are cheap , you drive them because they are safe, smooth and perform like beasts! Last month sadly to say I hit a truck tire and rim from a semi at 75 mph on I 95 in NC. Like the beast she is, it brought me thru without a scratch and I was still able to drive it to VA! The car has been at the body shop in NN Va now for well over a month. The under carriage has been repaired, hood replaced, tire rods etc fixed, completely awseome; however they are still dealing with a headlight issue! I will wait patiently, I love the car! When this when tops out at 400k , which it will have no problems getting to, I will buy another E320!! ( course thats over 250k miles from now!