Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Most Helpful|
I am loving it.
By RaleighMB

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for over a year and absolutely love it. It is a solid built car with a super smooth drive and transmission. The audio system is simply outstanding and the gas mileage has been great. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the purchase.

Favorite Features

Love the smooth ride, silky transmission, visibility and safety features. The Bose audio is outstanding. Heated seats, auto dimming mirrors, too many to list. I have been averaging 27 mpg city & highway driving. Over 30 mpg on the highways.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are limited. Need carseat latch system for rear seat. The CD changer is in the trunk.

E-Class
By Mylous Hairston

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I have ever owned. The ride is exceptional. The 4matic gets me through Buffalo winters with no problem at all. Mercedes got it right with this model year.

Favorite Features

Everything in the car is great. I really love the multi disc CD changer and garage door opener on rear view mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Daytime running lights would've been great on this car.

Cat Food Cans
By flyspech

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It's May 2011 and my '01 E320 has just 36k orig mi. on it; looks new inside and out. I anticipated owning this car until I couldn't buy tires to fit it. In May of '06, its 5th bday (the warrantee now as good as the paper it was printed on), we lost the right catalytic converter, in 6/08 the air conditioning just stopped, 4/09 the left side cat rattled us back to the shop, but today is special; today starts a week long diagnostic attempting to discover why neither infrared key will operate the ignition. Our '01 E320 is a great car to wash and keep in the garage. It especially looks good in the driveway. If my wife felt the same as me; it'd be pressed into lots of cat food cans.

Favorite Features

How the paint gleams on a sunny day.

Suggested Improvements

Just a few.

The worst car ever
By E430 SPORT

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for almost a year and it is horrible. My '92 Lexus SC400 with 149k is better made and more reliable than my Mercedes. Mass air sensor went without any warning, air conditioning is terrible and makes noise, display on radio is distorted. Parts are way too expensive, and car is very unreliable. Anyone considering a Benz, I would strongly recommend a Lexus. Toyota puts out a much better product at a better price, with better quality.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Electrical sysyem needs to be simplified. Air conditioning is poor at best. Resale value is horrible.

Finally
By Cozmicdiabolic

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned nine BMW, 3 Audi's and just about everything else a driving enthusiast would want in the price range of less than $60k. This car is by far the best I have ever had. Let me explain why. I'll start with the M5. Power, grace and superior handling. The E55 tops the M5 in every category except handling. The trade-off is comfort. The E55 changes gears quicker than the manual M5 so it provides the best of both worlds. I could go on, but in short, this car is great! I change cars every six months due to lack of satisfaction, but this one is a keeper. It changes gears like a Porsche, It's comfortable like a Benz should be.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Body roll/lean on curves could be improved. Tighter steering and better control on corners. In other words, handle more like a bimmer and keep the comfort. I can dream, you asked.