2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
9 Years and still nice
By John on 08/04/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my E320 new in 2001. Overall, excellent ride, classy vehicle, virtually no maintenance until about 90K miles. Between 90 and my current 115K miles, I have probably put $3k into the car for repairs (cat covert, air, regular service) but nothing before that except scheduled maintenance. Some electrical problems started to show up at 110K miles so I may be looking again. Overall, I am very pleased with this car which looks great even after 9 yrs and 115k miles. Service at dealer has been good except for 45 minutes of shop time to replace a headlight bulb. Complained the next visit and they made it right. This is my second MB and I will probably buy another one.

2001 E320 Sedan
By Teresa on 05/27/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is worst car I have ever owned. Every time I turn around something is wrong either with the electrical system, a/c, engine overheating or the windows wont go up. Oh and of course the cylinders keep going out. The check engine came on once again today two out of six cylinders are not working. I need another full time job to keep the car on the road. Not mention the $50+ oil changes. I wish I had my Infiniti I30 back. It never left me on the side of the road!

HIgh Mileage Review - Buyer Beware
By Paul L. on 04/28/09 12:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm starting the seventh year of ownership of my E-class. So far I've replaced: Front passenger seat belt buckle Both catalytic converters Front wheel bushings Instrument panel Rear Shocks Steering wheel switches Three audio speakers Both sun visors Car has 210K miles, I feel too much has gone wrong with the car for it being a MB. I also have an undiagnosed mystery noise in the back seat. Front end vibrates at high speed.

E320 sedan loving it
By cintol on 02/10/09 18:23 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My wife calls this car her rocket when she touches the throttle it is gone. Excellent mpg 21 in the city, moon roof opens with touch of button but you have to hold the button for it to close. In order to fix the pixels for time and temp dealer says need to replace whole instrument cluster $800 overall we will never buy anything else but Mercedes from now on.

Not too bad
By Had since 14 k miles on 07/27/08 12:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

While under the generous 4 year 50K mile warranty I had lots of problems including driver's side mirror falling off due to cheap metal. The rear door regulator, transmission leak, cup holder, power headrests (twice) motor, lug nuts rusted away, and battery. But since the warranty was over it has only been an H20 sensor and the Teleaid antenna broke off. The styling is timeless and the ride feels like in an electric car. The motor is smooth along with the ride. There are no child locks for the rear doors though. Uses synthetic oil that needs to be changed every 10,000 miles. It gets better the longer I seem to go. Expect about 18 city and 28 highway

Worth the money, worth working for
By annasdad on 02/29/08 18:58 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My family loves this car. We drive 700 miles a day when we travel, which is frequently, and we never feel tired afterwards. We are all the way up to 137K miles now and really it feels as solid as it did at 40K. The fuel mileage is amazing. We get 29 mpg on the road and average 26. Everybody looks at it admiringly, even though now it is 7 years old. We have had to make some repairs, but if you shop around and find a reasonable mechanic it really isn't much more expensive than other cars.

What's with the rust?
By bissavi on 02/01/08 16:01 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Buyer beware! Buy something else, anything but this car! When I bought the car it had a couple of spots where the paint had bubbled up. Since then the car has been rusting worst than a tin can even though I've been keeping it in the garage. Mercedes refused to address problem (5yr/50,000 mile nonsense). $3,000 body work. Also, paid $350 to replace airbag sensor in front passenger seat. Dealer claims it happened because a heavy person sat in the car (what's up with that?) Spent $150 on rear window actuator. Dealer said because I don't open that window very often the glass got stuck to the rim!!!??? Oh, yeah one of the catalytic converters was replaced too!

Fun & easy to drive but has its flaws
By EyeDoc on 05/31/07 12:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Wonderful 5.5L motor that'll fun forever. Problem with this car is build quality and electronic failures. Also watch out for rust. MB USA will not acknowledge serious rust issues their cars even though hundreds of thousands of well maintained MB cars are rusting. Easy to drive, if you don't step on the gas it drives just like a regular E-class. Great commuter. Much more comfortable than BMW M5. Depreciation very poor, same year M5 costs $10-12k more.

They really scored on this car
By tyler5656 on 05/29/07 19:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Well where to start? This car has so many features from the electronic stability control (esp) to its Bose surround sound system. What a smooth shifting transmission. Big difference from that old 4 speed to the new and improved 5 speed with auto stick. And the 4 wheel fully independent suspension faculties and ABS brakes.

Finally
By Cozmicdiabolic on 04/10/07 18:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned nine BMW, 3 Audi's and just about everything else a driving enthusiast would want in the price range of less than $60k. This car is by far the best I have ever had. Let me explain why. I'll start with the M5. Power, grace and superior handling. The E55 tops the M5 in every category except handling. The trade-off is comfort. The E55 changes gears quicker than the manual M5 so it provides the best of both worlds. I could go on, but in short, this car is great! I change cars every six months due to lack of satisfaction, but this one is a keeper. It changes gears like a Porsche, It's comfortable like a Benz should be.