Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

I'd Buy Another - It's Been Very Good
By Don French

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this off a new-car dealer via eBay; had 78K on it then; now has 125K. This car sure beats the newer Cadillac SRX that I dumped due to horrible reliability. This is my "work truck" for renovating rental homes - back seats are often down with building materials in the back as the car tows my 5x8 utility trailer behind, with 2 dogs on the front seat. The 4-Matic never gets us stuck, as we love to ski in the winter and travel in snowstorms. Slightly-stiff seats utilize excellent- grade leather & show only minimal wear (some leather dye sprayed on annually keeps them nice). Issues: Dash pixels (common), rusted hydraulic line, broken front spring, stuck sunroof and nasty body rust.

Favorite Features

Drives smooth, handles great, excellent gas mileage 21-27 MPG, well-designed durable interior, very safe design w/6 airbags, pulls trailer with ease, 4- Matic AWD is near perfect, easy to get in and out of compared to an SUV, auto leveling rear suspension handles heavy loads, minimal repairs, xenons.

Suggested Improvements

Non-galvanized body has serious surface rust issues requiring annual paint work, cup holders are a farce, cd changer should be in dash. Known Chrysler influence cheapened product build quality. Note: All these items were corrected in the next body series W211 (2004-2009 models).

great driving car
By sdax

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I owned mine for 3years until i had an accident and it was totaled. The car protected me very well and i was able to walk away unharmed. It was a rear impact and it crumpled/absorbed the impact so that i could still drive the car, but the rear doors would not open. I love the way it drove, but it wasn't the greatest on gas in the city, was getting horrible mileage, but on the highway it shined and i got at least 25mpg. It was awesome in the snow.

Favorite Features

the smooth engine, 3rd row seat, awd

Suggested Improvements

build quality, interior trim pieces breaking all the time. The power seats only like to go forward and not backward. Wood trim that was cracking in places.

Great Car
By a2zwebs

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my E320 pre-owned with only 55k miles on it. The car is great handling, beautiful body style, and decent on gas mileage. My only complaint was with the headlights. I must have replaced 5 in the 3 years I had the car. Oh, and the expensive oil changes $89. (But that is because 5 quarts and synthetic blend) I will say the car was very safe. I was hit from behind 2 weeks ago and the only damage was to the trunk and back bumper (barely bent in my opinion) but the insurance company totaled it. Great Car!

Favorite Features

handling, safety, sleek look, great body style and smooth ride.

Overall, not too bad
By MP

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first Benz when I bought back in 06. It did pretty well for the first year, but then the car started to have numerous problems. The wind sheild wiper stopped working, the CD player broke (and still is broken today), and some various other things seemed to not work the way they should after a while. We ended up spending about $6000 overall in the past 4 years. However, I'm not really the kind of person that treats their car like a baby or even owns a garage, I also ignore regular servicing a lot. After we got all this fixed though, the car seemed to really work well and has continued to do so so far. I'm not totally sure I'd buy another Merc but I'd definitely buy another German car

Favorite Features

Excellent fuel economy for a car this size, very good in the snow, has some very solid touches, interior/exterior look really great especially with the xenon headlamps, the car gives you a certain feeling that makes you just want to drive it

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is really not too great, some of the car has quirky design features (such as the cupholder), not everything is where I'd expect it to be

Hard to Replace
By John

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second new MB but not my last. In ten years, I replaced normal wear items consistent with the mileage but not much else. Service at the dealer is somewhat expensive and I had one bad experience of being overcharged, which I complained about to the next few service advisers. They agreed and made things right. Oddly, in the last couple of years, the cost of replacing typical wearable items has gone down - generally less than estimated. The car gets 22 mpg running around and about 28 mph on the highway (at about 60 mph). The car still looks great, rides well and is totally reliable, which makes it difficult to drop $50k to replace it with a new model.

Favorite Features

Style, reliability, all wheel drive, and gas milage. No matter what year your MB it is immediately recognized as a Mercedes Benz.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that the AM radio reception was initially good in my area but has definitely become poor, at best. Seems to work better in other areas, but I think this is a car radio problem not a radio signal problem.