Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Best Car Ever
By sharksqueenbee

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car with 6 yrs old as CPO with 35K miles. I just flipped it to 200K miles last week. We purchased an extended warranty from MB and that was a good decision. We have faithfully maintained the car and without a doubt, I can say this is the BEST car I've ever driven and/or owned. It is a tank. Over the years, I've had it packed. Often times with 6 passengers as the kids loved the rear facing seats. Combined city/hwy mileage averages 23-25, which given the performance is hard to beat. This car is solid, rain (which we have a lot of in the PNW) and snow are not a problem. Looking to replace (just want something newer) and it's going to be a tall order to beat this one.

Performance, 4Matic all wheel drive, ability to carry 7 people comfortably, large space in the back, great for trips to Costco and the grocery store. Able to fit both our big dogs in the back (one is 270lbs and the other is 100lbs).

Nice car, but too much rust
By e320_4matic

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Nice car. Rusts too much for a car this expensive. We love how it drives. Gets good fuel economy for a larger family.

3rd row. Fuel economy.

Better alloys and paint, less rust.

I'd Buy Another - It's Been Very Good
By Don French

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this off a new-car dealer via eBay; had 78K on it then; now has 125K. This car sure beats the newer Cadillac SRX that I dumped due to horrible reliability. This is my "work truck" for renovating rental homes - back seats are often down with building materials in the back as the car tows my 5x8 utility trailer behind, with 2 dogs on the front seat. The 4-Matic never gets us stuck, as we love to ski in the winter and travel in snowstorms. Slightly-stiff seats utilize excellent- grade leather & show only minimal wear (some leather dye sprayed on annually keeps them nice). Issues: Dash pixels (common), rusted hydraulic line, broken front spring, stuck sunroof and nasty body rust.

Drives smooth, handles great, excellent gas mileage 21-27 MPG, well-designed durable interior, very safe design w/6 airbags, pulls trailer with ease, 4- Matic AWD is near perfect, easy to get in and out of compared to an SUV, auto leveling rear suspension handles heavy loads, minimal repairs, xenons.

Non-galvanized body has serious surface rust issues requiring annual paint work, cup holders are a farce, cd changer should be in dash. Known Chrysler influence cheapened product build quality. Note: All these items were corrected in the next body series W211 (2004-2009 models).

great driving car
By sdax

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I owned mine for 3years until i had an accident and it was totaled. The car protected me very well and i was able to walk away unharmed. It was a rear impact and it crumpled/absorbed the impact so that i could still drive the car, but the rear doors would not open. I love the way it drove, but it wasn't the greatest on gas in the city, was getting horrible mileage, but on the highway it shined and i got at least 25mpg. It was awesome in the snow.

the smooth engine, 3rd row seat, awd

build quality, interior trim pieces breaking all the time. The power seats only like to go forward and not backward. Wood trim that was cracking in places.

Overall, not too bad
By MP

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first Benz when I bought back in 06. It did pretty well for the first year, but then the car started to have numerous problems. The wind sheild wiper stopped working, the CD player broke (and still is broken today), and some various other things seemed to not work the way they should after a while. We ended up spending about $6000 overall in the past 4 years. However, I'm not really the kind of person that treats their car like a baby or even owns a garage, I also ignore regular servicing a lot. After we got all this fixed though, the car seemed to really work well and has continued to do so so far. I'm not totally sure I'd buy another Merc but I'd definitely buy another German car

Excellent fuel economy for a car this size, very good in the snow, has some very solid touches, interior/exterior look really great especially with the xenon headlamps, the car gives you a certain feeling that makes you just want to drive it

Reliability is really not too great, some of the car has quirky design features (such as the cupholder), not everything is where I'd expect it to be