2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Hard to Replace
By John on 01/30/10 06:59 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second new MB but not my last. In ten years, I replaced normal wear items consistent with the mileage but not much else. Service at the dealer is somewhat expensive and I had one bad experience of being overcharged, which I complained about to the next few service advisers. They agreed and made things right. Oddly, in the last couple of years, the cost of replacing typical wearable items has gone down - generally less than estimated. The car gets 22 mpg running around and about 28 mph on the highway (at about 60 mph). The car still looks great, rides well and is totally reliable, which makes it difficult to drop $50k to replace it with a new model.

Glad it's gone
By Tom on 11/24/09 13:03 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Just traded my 01 E320 4M with 118,600 kms for a 2006 Lexus GS300. I bought the E with 80,000 kms on it and a vibration cropped up between 60 kmph and 80kmph daily until it warmed up. Not tires, but a known problem with MB and they say it can't be fixed at London ON MB. Also 2 front fenders rusting through along with bottom of the doors,my problem not MB's, and various suspension issues. CD changer and audio system was all fuzzy sounding and the drivers chair creaked like an old lazyboy. Service got expensive and it was just time to let it go. It was disappointing because we thought we would have many years of service from this car but we became afraid that it would end up being worthless.

9 Years and still nice
By John on 08/04/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my E320 new in 2001. Overall, excellent ride, classy vehicle, virtually no maintenance until about 90K miles. Between 90 and my current 115K miles, I have probably put $3k into the car for repairs (cat covert, air, regular service) but nothing before that except scheduled maintenance. Some electrical problems started to show up at 110K miles so I may be looking again. Overall, I am very pleased with this car which looks great even after 9 yrs and 115k miles. Service at dealer has been good except for 45 minutes of shop time to replace a headlight bulb. Complained the next visit and they made it right. This is my second MB and I will probably buy another one.

They really scored on this car
By tyler5656 on 05/29/07 19:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Well where to start? This car has so many features from the electronic stability control (esp) to its Bose surround sound system. What a smooth shifting transmission. Big difference from that old 4 speed to the new and improved 5 speed with auto stick. And the 4 wheel fully independent suspension faculties and ABS brakes.

E Series 4matic - logical choice in snow
By Endeavor2000 on 01/20/07 20:02 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Looking for a AWD, E320-4matic is the only AWD in a sedan that glides through snow like hot knife in butter. It's quiet, responsive, and luxurious. I wish I had heated seats, but for the money, I can add seat heaters for a couple of hundred dollars. The Nav is a bit awkward, but does work as expected.

E-Class
By Mylous Hairston on 06/03/06 08:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I have ever owned. The ride is exceptional. The 4matic gets me through Buffalo winters with no problem at all. Mercedes got it right with this model year.

Simply the Best
By Benzo Boy on 08/03/05 17:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I replaced my 1989 300E (with 220K miles) with this silver beauty. Clasic looks, straighforward interior. Solid, safe, and secure. A blast to drive, and the BOSE stereo is awesome.

what a sweet upgrade from an aging e420
By cmerc on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

7 months left on orig warranty - dealer tossed in 4yr 100k starmark extended warranty love the ride and the graphite leather interior with contrasting piping is sharp - feel like I got my money's worth ... will check back in a year and let youknow how it holds up.

Good Bad Ugly
By ca_oh10 on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Good. Very powerful on highways. Excellent highway performance. Gets you there safely. Bad. Original tires were poor. AM Radio didn't work for 18 months. Ugly. Paint seems to chip easily. Style has gotten dated quickly in my opinion.

e320 4m
By vistab on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Awesome, but Contintental tires hydroplane easily