Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

2001 E320 Mercedes sedan
By kgcarrut

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car with only 87000 Kms on it and fixed a few things and put on new top of the line tires. The car runs beautifully and I have few complaints. But I find the steering is very tight and the car reacts immediately at the very slightest movement of the steering wheel which when on the highway at 75 to 80 mph can be disconcerting. It also doesn't straighten out by itself after a turn and you have to help it by steering it back. On the highway I found a sudden gust of wind or even passing a large truck can cause the car to swerve and in one instance almost move me out of the lane I was in. Is this normal?? None of the cars I was following swerved as much.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder in the front is poorly designed.

Elegant, subtle, practical, fun, solid, reliable.
By rick161

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 8 BMWs over the past 15 years, plus an assortment of others (Infinity, Jaguar, Cadillac, etc.), I replaced my tired Volvo V70 T5 w. a beautiful white '01 E320 I found near Charlotte, NC, w. just over 100k mi.. It's a 2-owner local car w. no accidents, clean & no problems except for the new set of Chinese tires (why???) it wore. I corrected that today w. a set of Z-rated Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+. After a thousand miles in 2 weeks on combined high-speed interstate & rural highways, I couldn't be happier. W. transmission fluid/filter & differential oil, coolant & plug change, it looks, runs & drives like new, all for under $8k. W. due diligence, still plenty of good ones out there.

Favorite Features

Great build quality, quick, smooth & quiet. Far more of a driver's car than I expected - this baby is fast! The engine is a gem, far stronger than 221HP should be but not coarse - very smooth. Comfortable seats, auto climate control, rain sensing single-wiper, digital MPH readout, keyless remote fob (new one from the local dealer is pricey but works perfectly). Built-in garage door opener. Moonroof. Headlight bulbs are cheap & easy to replace. Center armrest has plenty of storage (& lower level has an A/C vent!) Beautiful leather & wood. Premium Bose sound system & trunk-mounted CD changer, although my favorite entertainment is simply driving this subtle, elegant car w. the 3-pointed star.

Suggested Improvements

You can tell the German engineers didn't really want to put cup holders in this car - the Rube Goldberg device on the center console works but is a bit unhandy compared to current models. More than one power outlet would be nice in this age of multiple devices (GPS, radar detector, satellite radio). MPG could be better (averaging about 25mpg), but for a spirited car w. great driving dynamics & power, it's acceptable. Dual spark plugs means replacing 12 when the time comes, but only every 100k miles.

Cat Food Cans
By flyspech

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It's May 2011 and my '01 E320 has just 36k orig mi. on it; looks new inside and out. I anticipated owning this car until I couldn't buy tires to fit it. In May of '06, its 5th bday (the warrantee now as good as the paper it was printed on), we lost the right catalytic converter, in 6/08 the air conditioning just stopped, 4/09 the left side cat rattled us back to the shop, but today is special; today starts a week long diagnostic attempting to discover why neither infrared key will operate the ignition. Our '01 E320 is a great car to wash and keep in the garage. It especially looks good in the driveway. If my wife felt the same as me; it'd be pressed into lots of cat food cans.

Favorite Features

How the paint gleams on a sunny day.

Suggested Improvements

Just a few.

Great Car
By a2zwebs

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my E320 pre-owned with only 55k miles on it. The car is great handling, beautiful body style, and decent on gas mileage. My only complaint was with the headlights. I must have replaced 5 in the 3 years I had the car. Oh, and the expensive oil changes $89. (But that is because 5 quarts and synthetic blend) I will say the car was very safe. I was hit from behind 2 weeks ago and the only damage was to the trunk and back bumper (barely bent in my opinion) but the insurance company totaled it. Great Car!

Favorite Features

handling, safety, sleek look, great body style and smooth ride.

Hard to Replace
By John

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second new MB but not my last. In ten years, I replaced normal wear items consistent with the mileage but not much else. Service at the dealer is somewhat expensive and I had one bad experience of being overcharged, which I complained about to the next few service advisers. They agreed and made things right. Oddly, in the last couple of years, the cost of replacing typical wearable items has gone down - generally less than estimated. The car gets 22 mpg running around and about 28 mph on the highway (at about 60 mph). The car still looks great, rides well and is totally reliable, which makes it difficult to drop $50k to replace it with a new model.

Favorite Features

Style, reliability, all wheel drive, and gas milage. No matter what year your MB it is immediately recognized as a Mercedes Benz.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that the AM radio reception was initially good in my area but has definitely become poor, at best. Seems to work better in other areas, but I think this is a car radio problem not a radio signal problem.