2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Elegant, subtle, practical, fun, solid, reliable.
By rick161 on 08/31/12 19:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 8 BMWs over the past 15 years, plus an assortment of others (Infinity, Jaguar, Cadillac, etc.), I replaced my tired Volvo V70 T5 w. a beautiful white '01 E320 I found near Charlotte, NC, w. just over 100k mi.. It's a 2-owner local car w. no accidents, clean & no problems except for the new set of Chinese tires (why???) it wore. I corrected that today w. a set of Z-rated Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+. After a thousand miles in 2 weeks on combined high-speed interstate & rural highways, I couldn't be happier. W. transmission fluid/filter & differential oil, coolant & plug change, it looks, runs & drives like new, all for under $8k. W. due diligence, still plenty of good ones out there.

Cat Food Cans
By flyspech on 05/03/11 08:20 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It's May 2011 and my '01 E320 has just 36k orig mi. on it; looks new inside and out. I anticipated owning this car until I couldn't buy tires to fit it. In May of '06, its 5th bday (the warrantee now as good as the paper it was printed on), we lost the right catalytic converter, in 6/08 the air conditioning just stopped, 4/09 the left side cat rattled us back to the shop, but today is special; today starts a week long diagnostic attempting to discover why neither infrared key will operate the ignition. Our '01 E320 is a great car to wash and keep in the garage. It especially looks good in the driveway. If my wife felt the same as me; it'd be pressed into lots of cat food cans.

Great Car
By a2zwebs on 05/30/10 19:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my E320 pre-owned with only 55k miles on it. The car is great handling, beautiful body style, and decent on gas mileage. My only complaint was with the headlights. I must have replaced 5 in the 3 years I had the car. Oh, and the expensive oil changes $89. (But that is because 5 quarts and synthetic blend) I will say the car was very safe. I was hit from behind 2 weeks ago and the only damage was to the trunk and back bumper (barely bent in my opinion) but the insurance company totaled it. Great Car!

Hard to Replace
By John on 01/30/10 06:59 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second new MB but not my last. In ten years, I replaced normal wear items consistent with the mileage but not much else. Service at the dealer is somewhat expensive and I had one bad experience of being overcharged, which I complained about to the next few service advisers. They agreed and made things right. Oddly, in the last couple of years, the cost of replacing typical wearable items has gone down - generally less than estimated. The car gets 22 mpg running around and about 28 mph on the highway (at about 60 mph). The car still looks great, rides well and is totally reliable, which makes it difficult to drop $50k to replace it with a new model.

Glad it's gone
By Tom on 11/24/09 13:03 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Just traded my 01 E320 4M with 118,600 kms for a 2006 Lexus GS300. I bought the E with 80,000 kms on it and a vibration cropped up between 60 kmph and 80kmph daily until it warmed up. Not tires, but a known problem with MB and they say it can't be fixed at London ON MB. Also 2 front fenders rusting through along with bottom of the doors,my problem not MB's, and various suspension issues. CD changer and audio system was all fuzzy sounding and the drivers chair creaked like an old lazyboy. Service got expensive and it was just time to let it go. It was disappointing because we thought we would have many years of service from this car but we became afraid that it would end up being worthless.

9 Years and still nice
By John on 08/04/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my E320 new in 2001. Overall, excellent ride, classy vehicle, virtually no maintenance until about 90K miles. Between 90 and my current 115K miles, I have probably put $3k into the car for repairs (cat covert, air, regular service) but nothing before that except scheduled maintenance. Some electrical problems started to show up at 110K miles so I may be looking again. Overall, I am very pleased with this car which looks great even after 9 yrs and 115k miles. Service at dealer has been good except for 45 minutes of shop time to replace a headlight bulb. Complained the next visit and they made it right. This is my second MB and I will probably buy another one.

2001 E320 Sedan
By Teresa on 05/27/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is worst car I have ever owned. Every time I turn around something is wrong either with the electrical system, a/c, engine overheating or the windows wont go up. Oh and of course the cylinders keep going out. The check engine came on once again today two out of six cylinders are not working. I need another full time job to keep the car on the road. Not mention the $50+ oil changes. I wish I had my Infiniti I30 back. It never left me on the side of the road!

HIgh Mileage Review - Buyer Beware
By Paul L. on 04/28/09 12:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm starting the seventh year of ownership of my E-class. So far I've replaced: Front passenger seat belt buckle Both catalytic converters Front wheel bushings Instrument panel Rear Shocks Steering wheel switches Three audio speakers Both sun visors Car has 210K miles, I feel too much has gone wrong with the car for it being a MB. I also have an undiagnosed mystery noise in the back seat. Front end vibrates at high speed.

E320 sedan loving it
By cintol on 02/10/09 18:23 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My wife calls this car her rocket when she touches the throttle it is gone. Excellent mpg 21 in the city, moon roof opens with touch of button but you have to hold the button for it to close. In order to fix the pixels for time and temp dealer says need to replace whole instrument cluster $800 overall we will never buy anything else but Mercedes from now on.

Worth the money, worth working for
By annasdad on 02/29/08 18:58 PM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My family loves this car. We drive 700 miles a day when we travel, which is frequently, and we never feel tired afterwards. We are all the way up to 137K miles now and really it feels as solid as it did at 40K. The fuel mileage is amazing. We get 29 mpg on the road and average 26. Everybody looks at it admiringly, even though now it is 7 years old. We have had to make some repairs, but if you shop around and find a reasonable mechanic it really isn't much more expensive than other cars.

1 2 3 4 5 next »