Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Best Car Ever
By sharksqueenbee

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car with 6 yrs old as CPO with 35K miles. I just flipped it to 200K miles last week. We purchased an extended warranty from MB and that was a good decision. We have faithfully maintained the car and without a doubt, I can say this is the BEST car I've ever driven and/or owned. It is a tank. Over the years, I've had it packed. Often times with 6 passengers as the kids loved the rear facing seats. Combined city/hwy mileage averages 23-25, which given the performance is hard to beat. This car is solid, rain (which we have a lot of in the PNW) and snow are not a problem. Looking to replace (just want something newer) and it's going to be a tall order to beat this one.

Performance, 4Matic all wheel drive, ability to carry 7 people comfortably, large space in the back, great for trips to Costco and the grocery store. Able to fit both our big dogs in the back (one is 270lbs and the other is 100lbs).

2001 E320 Mercedes sedan
By kgcarrut

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car with only 87000 Kms on it and fixed a few things and put on new top of the line tires. The car runs beautifully and I have few complaints. But I find the steering is very tight and the car reacts immediately at the very slightest movement of the steering wheel which when on the highway at 75 to 80 mph can be disconcerting. It also doesn't straighten out by itself after a turn and you have to help it by steering it back. On the highway I found a sudden gust of wind or even passing a large truck can cause the car to swerve and in one instance almost move me out of the lane I was in. Is this normal?? None of the cars I was following swerved as much.

Cup holder in the front is poorly designed.

Elegant, subtle, practical, fun, solid, reliable.
By rick161

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 8 BMWs over the past 15 years, plus an assortment of others (Infinity, Jaguar, Cadillac, etc.), I replaced my tired Volvo V70 T5 w. a beautiful white '01 E320 I found near Charlotte, NC, w. just over 100k mi.. It's a 2-owner local car w. no accidents, clean & no problems except for the new set of Chinese tires (why???) it wore. I corrected that today w. a set of Z-rated Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+. After a thousand miles in 2 weeks on combined high-speed interstate & rural highways, I couldn't be happier. W. transmission fluid/filter & differential oil, coolant & plug change, it looks, runs & drives like new, all for under $8k. W. due diligence, still plenty of good ones out there.

Great build quality, quick, smooth & quiet. Far more of a driver's car than I expected - this baby is fast! The engine is a gem, far stronger than 221HP should be but not coarse - very smooth. Comfortable seats, auto climate control, rain sensing single-wiper, digital MPH readout, keyless remote fob (new one from the local dealer is pricey but works perfectly). Built-in garage door opener. Moonroof. Headlight bulbs are cheap & easy to replace. Center armrest has plenty of storage (& lower level has an A/C vent!) Beautiful leather & wood. Premium Bose sound system & trunk-mounted CD changer, although my favorite entertainment is simply driving this subtle, elegant car w. the 3-pointed star.

You can tell the German engineers didn't really want to put cup holders in this car - the Rube Goldberg device on the center console works but is a bit unhandy compared to current models. More than one power outlet would be nice in this age of multiple devices (GPS, radar detector, satellite radio). MPG could be better (averaging about 25mpg), but for a spirited car w. great driving dynamics & power, it's acceptable. Dual spark plugs means replacing 12 when the time comes, but only every 100k miles.

Cat Food Cans
By flyspech

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It's May 2011 and my '01 E320 has just 36k orig mi. on it; looks new inside and out. I anticipated owning this car until I couldn't buy tires to fit it. In May of '06, its 5th bday (the warrantee now as good as the paper it was printed on), we lost the right catalytic converter, in 6/08 the air conditioning just stopped, 4/09 the left side cat rattled us back to the shop, but today is special; today starts a week long diagnostic attempting to discover why neither infrared key will operate the ignition. Our '01 E320 is a great car to wash and keep in the garage. It especially looks good in the driveway. If my wife felt the same as me; it'd be pressed into lots of cat food cans.

How the paint gleams on a sunny day.

Just a few.

Nice car, but too much rust
By e320_4matic

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Nice car. Rusts too much for a car this expensive. We love how it drives. Gets good fuel economy for a larger family.

3rd row. Fuel economy.

Better alloys and paint, less rust.