2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Best Car Ever
By sharksqueenbee on 01/16/15 07:16 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car with 6 yrs old as CPO with 35K miles. I just flipped it to 200K miles last week. We purchased an extended warranty from MB and that was a good decision. We have faithfully maintained the car and without a doubt, I can say this is the BEST car I've ever driven and/or owned. It is a tank. Over the years, I've had it packed. Often times with 6 passengers as the kids loved the rear facing seats. Combined city/hwy mileage averages 23-25, which given the performance is hard to beat. This car is solid, rain (which we have a lot of in the PNW) and snow are not a problem. Looking to replace (just want something newer) and it's going to be a tall order to beat this one.

2001 E320 Mercedes sedan
By kgcarrut on 01/01/15 11:16 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car with only 87000 Kms on it and fixed a few things and put on new top of the line tires. The car runs beautifully and I have few complaints. But I find the steering is very tight and the car reacts immediately at the very slightest movement of the steering wheel which when on the highway at 75 to 80 mph can be disconcerting. It also doesn't straighten out by itself after a turn and you have to help it by steering it back. On the highway I found a sudden gust of wind or even passing a large truck can cause the car to swerve and in one instance almost move me out of the lane I was in. Is this normal?? None of the cars I was following swerved as much.

Elegant, subtle, practical, fun, solid, reliable.
By rick161 on 08/31/12 19:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After 8 BMWs over the past 15 years, plus an assortment of others (Infinity, Jaguar, Cadillac, etc.), I replaced my tired Volvo V70 T5 w. a beautiful white '01 E320 I found near Charlotte, NC, w. just over 100k mi.. It's a 2-owner local car w. no accidents, clean & no problems except for the new set of Chinese tires (why???) it wore. I corrected that today w. a set of Z-rated Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+. After a thousand miles in 2 weeks on combined high-speed interstate & rural highways, I couldn't be happier. W. transmission fluid/filter & differential oil, coolant & plug change, it looks, runs & drives like new, all for under $8k. W. due diligence, still plenty of good ones out there.

Cat Food Cans
By flyspech on 05/03/11 08:20 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It's May 2011 and my '01 E320 has just 36k orig mi. on it; looks new inside and out. I anticipated owning this car until I couldn't buy tires to fit it. In May of '06, its 5th bday (the warrantee now as good as the paper it was printed on), we lost the right catalytic converter, in 6/08 the air conditioning just stopped, 4/09 the left side cat rattled us back to the shop, but today is special; today starts a week long diagnostic attempting to discover why neither infrared key will operate the ignition. Our '01 E320 is a great car to wash and keep in the garage. It especially looks good in the driveway. If my wife felt the same as me; it'd be pressed into lots of cat food cans.

Nice car, but too much rust
By e320_4matic on 04/27/11 14:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Nice car. Rusts too much for a car this expensive. We love how it drives. Gets good fuel economy for a larger family.

I'd Buy Another - It's Been Very Good
By Don French on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this off a new-car dealer via eBay; had 78K on it then; now has 125K. This car sure beats the newer Cadillac SRX that I dumped due to horrible reliability. This is my "work truck" for renovating rental homes - back seats are often down with building materials in the back as the car tows my 5x8 utility trailer behind, with 2 dogs on the front seat. The 4-Matic never gets us stuck, as we love to ski in the winter and travel in snowstorms. Slightly-stiff seats utilize excellent- grade leather & show only minimal wear (some leather dye sprayed on annually keeps them nice). Issues: Dash pixels (common), rusted hydraulic line, broken front spring, stuck sunroof and nasty body rust.

great driving car
By sdax on 09/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I owned mine for 3years until i had an accident and it was totaled. The car protected me very well and i was able to walk away unharmed. It was a rear impact and it crumpled/absorbed the impact so that i could still drive the car, but the rear doors would not open. I love the way it drove, but it wasn't the greatest on gas in the city, was getting horrible mileage, but on the highway it shined and i got at least 25mpg. It was awesome in the snow.

Great Car
By a2zwebs on 05/30/10 19:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my E320 pre-owned with only 55k miles on it. The car is great handling, beautiful body style, and decent on gas mileage. My only complaint was with the headlights. I must have replaced 5 in the 3 years I had the car. Oh, and the expensive oil changes $89. (But that is because 5 quarts and synthetic blend) I will say the car was very safe. I was hit from behind 2 weeks ago and the only damage was to the trunk and back bumper (barely bent in my opinion) but the insurance company totaled it. Great Car!

Overall, not too bad
By MP on 02/13/10 06:06 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first Benz when I bought back in 06. It did pretty well for the first year, but then the car started to have numerous problems. The wind sheild wiper stopped working, the CD player broke (and still is broken today), and some various other things seemed to not work the way they should after a while. We ended up spending about $6000 overall in the past 4 years. However, I'm not really the kind of person that treats their car like a baby or even owns a garage, I also ignore regular servicing a lot. After we got all this fixed though, the car seemed to really work well and has continued to do so so far. I'm not totally sure I'd buy another Merc but I'd definitely buy another German car

Hard to Replace
By John on 01/30/10 06:59 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second new MB but not my last. In ten years, I replaced normal wear items consistent with the mileage but not much else. Service at the dealer is somewhat expensive and I had one bad experience of being overcharged, which I complained about to the next few service advisers. They agreed and made things right. Oddly, in the last couple of years, the cost of replacing typical wearable items has gone down - generally less than estimated. The car gets 22 mpg running around and about 28 mph on the highway (at about 60 mph). The car still looks great, rides well and is totally reliable, which makes it difficult to drop $50k to replace it with a new model.