Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Whale Tail...
By idrury

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Wagon

I bought this vehicle with 132K miles on it from a mechanic that had owned it for 5 years.
I had it in my possession for a little over a year.
The main reason I bought the car was for transporting my road bike.
In terms of functionality, it performs admirably, the wagon bodystyle is very good at hauling around the road bike and makes Costco trips a breeze.

Performance - The engine power is adequate and the transmission shifts smoothly.

Fuel Economy - On the highway you can achieve near 30MPG with cruise control; however, city mileage is near not so pleasant, 12 or 14 MPG.

Handling/Ride Quality - Handling is okay and ride quality was a bit floaty.

Cargo capacity - The wagon is large and performs better than many SUVs for hauling purposes. Tech - I was pleased to find that this 2000 model year had a relatively good navigation system (with traffic) and Bluetooth, pretty high tech for the time. Third row seats - These rear facing seats are GREAT, the owner's manual says persons under 5'3" shouldn't sit back there; however, I have driven guests around that are 5'10" and have been more comfortable than a SUV with three row seating.

Reliability - When I took owenership of the vehicle it was in VERY good condition, but over the first few months small electrical glitches surfaced. The on board computer would say that a bulb was out, but all were functioning. The computer would also say coolant was low, but it wasn't. The vehicle also began to develop an odd thumping sound from the rear suspension that was too intermittent for a proper diagnosis. When I downsized from having both the MB Wagon and Lexus IS, I would have kept the wagon if it weren't for the MPG and the weird electrical issues.

E320
By mrjohnv

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I purchased my E320 in April of 2011 so I've owned mine now for about 14 Months. I purchased this car out of Necessity since our business sucked since 10 & 11 and I didn't want a car payment. I purchased this car from my mom and yes, I knew that she dose not take care of a car but I took it becase they sold it to me for 4 K. I didn't know it at the time but this car was in sad shape and it took 3 grand to get it back so it was no deal and I still have to paint it but you know what, If a car can take what my mom did to that car Mercedes is one hell of a car maker! This car is comfortable, trouble free and still looks good for a 12 year old car. I will keep it for two or three more years!

The styling and comfort is Mercedes strong suite as well as their engineering. This car has everything most car of today has.

There isn't much to inprove and what little there is has already been improved in the new models.

Great Car Twelve Years Later
By prmx

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Bought my 2000 E-320 with 150K miles on it..and it was virtually perfect in all respects.
Ran and rode great from day one.
Paid $7K "out-the-door" and Edmunds says a dealer "should" charge about $5000 for a similar car, but I have seen most, in very good condition, upwards of $9K, so I feel what I paid was a moderate "deal".
Car run very well...Zero service issues excepting a driving light wiring harness, $150 repair by MB.
When I purchased had three outstanding recalls...all fairly "cosmetic" (rubber door seal replacement, etc.) and MB dealer did without any cost.
"Problems" with paint chips, CD changer, air flow sensors, ac failures others have reported are non-existant on this car.

Styling, comfort, safety, reliability, build quality, value.

Electronic problems
By sjane

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Purchased used in 2003;with 34,000 miles on it. Now has 115K miles on it. Have spent over $4000 in repairs since 2007:"ABS visit workshop"lite keeps coming on-requiring repeated visits. Replaced power steering unit in August. CD changer in trunk and temp & time displays on dash quit just over 1 yr of purchase.

The look,body style is elegant and looks better than newer models. Great acceleration, power.

This car is too expensive to be having these kinds of problems. MB should be doing better.

This is not your parents car
By Steven Kendrick

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

When this car is in warranty, everybody smiles and loves you. When this car is out of warranty, you find out the previous smiles were the after the laughs. This car had issues under warranty and the dealer was happy to fix them and get you on your way. The NAv/Radio started to go but since it had not passed the point of no return, they would not replace it. I could tell other things started to go before the car got out of warranty and it was not until I crossed that warranty mileage marker all hell broke loose. At that point, Murphy's Law took affect. The good side: the car drove like a dream, in the daylight. Go rent the movie "It Takes Two" (1988) when the guy builds his dream car.

Drove well.

Either a longer warranty or build a better car.