2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Electronic problems
By sjane on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Purchased used in 2003;with 34,000 miles on it. Now has 115K miles on it. Have spent over $4000 in repairs since 2007:"ABS visit workshop"lite keeps coming on-requiring repeated visits. Replaced power steering unit in August. CD changer in trunk and temp & time displays on dash quit just over 1 yr of purchase.

This is not your parents car
By Steven Kendrick on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

When this car is in warranty, everybody smiles and loves you. When this car is out of warranty, you find out the previous smiles were the after the laughs. This car had issues under warranty and the dealer was happy to fix them and get you on your way. The NAv/Radio started to go but since it had not passed the point of no return, they would not replace it. I could tell other things started to go before the car got out of warranty and it was not until I crossed that warranty mileage marker all hell broke loose. At that point, Murphy's Law took affect. The good side: the car drove like a dream, in the daylight. Go rent the movie "It Takes Two" (1988) when the guy builds his dream car.

Fun to drive but quality is poor
By LMD on 04/15/09 21:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

My 2000 E430 Sport was purchased in 2006 with 51000 miles on it. Three years later it still hasn't reached 60K. In 2007 it had B servicing which is a MB rip-off where they tell you all the stuff it needs but cant show you why the old stuff is bad or failing. They just tell you "the book says" and then try to extort as much cash as they can. Ive had to replace AC hoses, shifter bushings, climate control regulator, a transmission mount and the sunroof rattles. All on a car with less than 60K. I think this was one of Mercedes' biggest quality failures and they could care less, they have their money.

Great car overall
By NIckP on 02/21/09 04:43 AM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 50K on it, now have 62K. Excellent to drive, great highway cruiser. Has had some odd ball repairs that added up to about $1200. but a lot less than a car payment.Full inspection by dealer just came out perfect with ball joints due in about 10K miles.

Sad state of MB
By Steve on 07/23/07 11:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I bought E430 new and it was running well for about two years. Starting in 3rd years, it was having all sorts of problems. CD changer won't work, fuel gauge went out, AC is leaking, transmission is leaking, seat adjuster won't work, plus many more. This will be my last MB and probably my last German made car.

Not buying MB again any time soon
By Stew L on 05/02/07 11:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

We have 2000 E430 and have about 60,000 miles on it. So far, we had to spend over $9,000 on repairs ranging from A/C to differential leaks! It is a well designed and good looking car but the MB's quality is sub-par. Unless MB improves the quality, we won't be touching another MB for a long long time.

Excellent over-all
By NickP on 03/11/07 08:33 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Car has excellent ride and handling with 6.5 sec. 0-60 time. Does not get the cops attention but going 90+ feels like doing 40. Comfort for 4, excellent sound system. Very good brakes, spacious trunk. Mileage is consistently in the mid 20's highway running at 80.

Best-made car I've ever owned
By Tim Fleener on 11/01/05 11:56 AM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I bought my E430 Sport used after owning several VWs, since I have all but given up on American cars from the likes of GM, Ford, and Dodge. I really liked the German-made VWs, so I felt comfortable buying another German car, and Mercedes is a very prestigious brand. Let me just say that I have not been disappointed at all! My E430 purrs like a mountain lion, and is rock solid at speed. The car really comes alive at speeds above 90 mph. I love getting on an open stretch of road and opening it up around 80-85 mph. The rush from there on up to the top speed is exhilirating! Fuel mileage has also been a pleasant surprise. Fuel economy has averaged around 25 mpg with 50/50 highway-city driving.

Never again
By Maria Peralta on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I have had trouble with my E430 since day one. The passenger power window jammed at the down postion. At 20k miles the radio went dead. Dealer repaired it and it went dead once more at 21k miles. At 30k miles the power locks always lock back when opened. Nothin else went wrong untill 39k miles when the car didnt recognize none of my keys. I gave up due to the fact that the warranty was about to end and I went and bought an Jaguar S-type which is a wonderful car that gives me no problems unlike MBs E430.

Expensive Fun
By sport shifter on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I purchased this E430 Sport with 32k miles. Overall its a great car with a few minor problems that are somewhat a headache. All repairs were covered under warranty. Digital instruments cluster replaced due to faulty LED's, dashboard cracked around the passenger air bags (very common problem)and window motor side replaced. This is our third Benz and I have come to realized that the Benz cars are not the trouble- free car everyone who doesnt own one think. But still a great German engineering at a substantial cost. But when you own a Benz, everytime you get in your car, your always getting inside a Benz.