Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Always been a great car for 17 years.
By roi

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Wagon

Now will be the perfect cat for a teenager. Very little repairs in 17 years. All minor.

Great engine and transmission surrounded by junk
By Charley Darwin

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Wagon

I am the original owner and bought it new in 2000. I mainly use it when I need 4WD or hauling so it still has only 75k miles. The engine, transmission, and brakes are great and have never needed any service, but the rest of the car is junk and it has probablems that are characteristic of this model and year, but Mercedes will not admit or correct them since they came out after the warranty expires.
1. This wagon is prone to rust around the fixed rear window in the rear hatch. I had to have it fixed in a body shop for >$600. It affects about 1/3 wagons, but you don't see that as you drive around anymore because most of us who still own ours have had it fixed.
2. The CD player in the rear wheel well has problems with the transport mechanism. I had it fixed twice at my expense but it kept jamming so I gave up and don't use it.
3. This model year had terrible (and known) problems with the insulation on the wiring under the dash. Mercedes used an environmentally friendly material that broke down prematurely and the wires shorted out. My dashboard clock and outside temp. readouts have been useless for years. It would cost thousands to get under the dashboard and replace the wiring, so I just stuck a cheap digital clock on the dashboard.
4. The releases on the rear seat backs that allow them to flip down have an elaborate cable linkage that broke (at different times) on both rear seats despite light usage. (If one broke it could be bad luck, but both means a design flaw.)
5. Both rear window motors failed (at different times) and had to be replaced.
6, The volume control knob on the radio doesn't work properly so I use the + and - buttons on the steering wheel.
7. At speeds over 70mph there is a vibration in the front that neither my tire dealer nor Mercedes dealer can find or explain.

Problems #1-4 are well know to Mercedes owners in chat rooms, but Mercedes will not admit any of them or correct them. I keep the car because the engine and transmission are flawless, the cargo capacity is enormous, and the 4WD is essential in the snow.
I would never buy another Mercedes and my daily transport is a 2014 Lexus ES Hybrid. Toyota products are absolutely flawless - I've owned two Priuses, a Camry Hybrid, and now a Lexus Hybrid, and have never fixed a single thing on any of those technologically complicated cars. They have all been passed down to my children and grandchildren and are still in the family with high mileage yet remain flawless.

It's old but I love it!
By Craig M. Lee

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

At this age you can expect things to need repairing. I have an excellent Mercedes mechanic who keeps the Maintainance up. Not sure I could afford it if I had to go to the dealership. They charge more than double than my mechanic.

E 320 from my experience
By Harrison Anderson

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 2002 E320 over 2 years ago. I have owned a lot of cars in my 60 years. This is my first Mercedes. Purchased with 161k miles. Now over 202k. This is the best car I have ever owned. I love driving it. I love the body style. the reliability. the comfort. Some repairs but nothing major.

so impressed I found 2 more. a 2001 for my wife and by accident came across a 2000. My wife loves hers. the 2000 will be for my daughter when she gets her license.

comfort, body style / reliability

Looks Can Be Decieving
By taha1

2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

As someone from newer generations, this car isn't exactly what anyone would call "cool" or even "pretty" for that matter. It deserves a kind of special look to see it's beauty.
It's obviously devoted to luxury; the seemless steering, the leather interior, the silenced exhaust. However, put your foot down and it gives off a different nature. This is the type of car that you could take to a high class party and then if you wanted to get down and dirty, it'd be ready for it with no regrets. I've never been so astonished with a v6 designed in the 90s than I am with this car. It's even faster than some American V8s. The car now has 202k miles and besides some minor electricals. Its great.

This was actually one of the most reliable and devoted chasis of the mercedes benz era. For example, the engine uses a chain instead of a normal timing belt and it can last almost 240k miles. The auto-manual transmission still drives smoothly and adapts at 202k and the engine is doing its best and rewarding. I have this car with the 4matic option and the All Wheel Drive really helps to push all that 225hp 258 Ibs-ft. Torque to the ground. Also, the overall attitude of the car, it would be a mature ride if needed, but it could also spread a smile across your face just like you wanted. It's a playful chasis, but also serious and refined.

With these cars, electrical problems are bound to happen. Sensors go bad. Lights go out. Nothing that can't be fixed with periodic mantinence. (Which I've exceeded by 30k and still had no problems with). The solid core of the car however is doing great and that's all you really need to keep a car going.