Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Not All That and a Bag of Chips
By Car Nutz

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I've had this vehicle since April, 2006. The radio light went out and the seat memory and motors malfunctioned. I had the extended warranty but the dealer still charged me to fix the seat memory module. Dealer stated that the module did not need replacement and therefore was not covered. Irritating. The transmission is strange. Often times, in low gear, the transmission shifts abruptly as if the car was rear ended or bucks like a bronco. Also, the speed sensing radio is not at all accurate. On the positive side, the car is solid and vault-like. I feel safe in this car even though it is not as agile as my BMW. Torque is plentiful and gas mileage is admirable for a luxury car.

Favorite Features

Vault-like solidity, good gas mileage, good engine performance.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission! Correct the speed sensing radio so the volume increases when car is accelerating and decreases upon deceleration.

What a find !
By Fritzmeister

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Wagon

I just bought a 1999 E320 wagon with actual 11921 miles on it! What a dream! Within the first 2 weeks I put about 1000 miles on it because I want to drive it. Smooth handling yet sporty, a wagon that goes from 0-60 in under 9 seconds all with an average 23mpg. Luxurious, comfortable and huge! Lots of cargo room. Wish it would have been a 4-matic, yet if you know how to drive, the anti-slip control should get you safely through the winter. At 90mph it runs as it is on tracks and is incredibly quiet. Third row option allows you to go on short trips with 5 adults and two kids! This car is a dream and is as classy as it is practical. I will definitely own it for quiet a few years to come.

Favorite Features

Lots of cargo space, excellent handling. Sporty and elegant design, powerfull 3.2l V6 let's one travel so comfortably, it is almost like flying without turbulence! Very decent gas mileage. Rear facing seats in third row big enough to use with safety seats for kids and comes with cupholders.

Suggested Improvements

Car did not have a CD player. To buy an aftermarket you need a special Mercedes harness that is not easy to come by. Found mine on e-bay for $30. For the dealer to install a changer I was quoted $750 bucks without labor. A tad on the pricey side, but I guess that is Mercedes for you. That's it.

Used e320
By aj

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I bought the car on ebay. Have had it for one year. Replaced the rear window mechanism and catylitic converter. I love the way the car drives on the freeway. Gets great gas mileage and handling.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

CD changer in the dash. Lumbar support.

Not As Good As It Should Be
By Nomorebenz4me

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been nothing but trouble since I purchased it brand new. Electrical problems followed by coolant and fuel line problems. It has been in the shop at least once every 2-3 months since purchase. Since warranty expired it costs $500 per visit minimum and sometimes up to $2000. The mileage has never been more that 29 mpg and it is a diesel! I will never buy another Mercedes because of this experience.

Favorite Features

None. Below expectations in all categories.

Suggested Improvements

Make a more reliable car and stand behind it.

Lone star
By diesel benz forever

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I have driven MB for 20 years. The 1999 turbo diesel is a great car. It has plenty power on the highway. I am the second owner. It did have 70,000 km mostly highway. Replaced glow plugs, rotors, pads, front bearings, and the battery. I want to keep it and will replace timing chain before it hits the 300,000 km

Favorite Features

Reliable

Suggested Improvements

Sunvisor is too small