Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

excellent car in every way
By Anne Alden

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

I've leased a lot of high end cars and just recently bought a used 1999 E430 with 115K miles on it. Most people say don't buy a car with high miles, but it is when purchasing a used car I have found it is more than just miles, but maintenance, records, etc. This car was well maintained and taken to the dealer for repairs, garage kept. I love this car and had it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic before purchasing. I will never buy a new car again. This car is great to drive, beautiful and sophisticated. If you buy a used car, make sure to check it out thoroughly before purchasing so you don't have any surprises because the repairs are costly. Do your due diligence.

Cruise control, interior, exterior, sophistication, elegance and smooth ride

nothing yet

Below average quality automobile
By Craig

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

I have owned my E320 since new--10+ years. In that period of time, I have spent an average $422 a month on routine service and an average of $534 per month on repairs. Repairs like 3 window regulators; rear differential seals (recall item); CD player went south after 5 years; leaky transmission plug replaced twice; right and left 02 sensors; vibration damper recall; airflow sensor; broken front coil spring; crankshaft sensor; entire rear tail lamp assembly. I have 120,000 miles on it. Granted a few but I don't expect repairs like from MB. I have owned a number of other autos and have not replaced anything like the things I replaced/repaired on this auto.

Beautiful car. Fantastic paint job. Drives very nice.

Need to improve overall quality tremendously.

Too expensive to maintain!!!!!
By Rich

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I have never written a review on a car until this one. It has been soo expensive to repair I felt I had to warn people not to buy the car. The rear windows use some sort of plastic strap to make them go up and down and they dry rot. They have broken 4 times in my ownership and it cost $600 each. Service is 300-700 every 7,000 miles. Every time you bring it in for service there is something new that will cost you another $500. The most recent issue is they said the rubber boots around my axles are cracking and they want $1,200 to fix it. That's right not that the axles are out just the BOOTS and it is going to be $1,200. I am buying a LEXUS or ACURA next.

NONE

Mercedes if you charge soo much for a car make it reliable. If you have an issue like the rear windows straps breaking all the time RECALL IT!!

Favorite car I've ever owned
By david

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 58K miles a few years ago. Yes I've had to put some $ into it, (belt pulley, spring housing, alternator, fuel pump, O2 sensor, and it went through a major light bulb replacement phase) but I have to say that I love the car. Neighbor owns a repair shop that specializes in high- line foreign cars, so any time I notice anything out of sorts I send it to work for the day with him. It is now at 121K and still runs like a top. I'm fairly certain that I can get another 120K out of it (unless my neighbor retires). I hope they are still building the 2010 E-Class like they did in 99... Hoping I can pick one of those up in a few years.

style, simplicity of the controls, comfort, fun to drive, decent gas mileage, feels safe, love the Bose sound system. Favorite feature of all: Skid control. This car is awesome on snow and ice (and it's not even a 4-matic). Try doing donuts in a parking lot and it just refuses to skid.

My only annoyances: Lacks "Latch" system for child seats, no aux input on stereo for iPod. Can't fault the car for either of these though because they weren't invented when the car was built.

Outstanding Mercedes!
By Kieran

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

Just turned 140,000 miles. Fabulous car, super reliable. The key to buying a great used MB is the service history. I have had many MB products, history is everything. If you buy from Sam and Louie down at the corner and no one knows anything other then the price...well good luck. This is one of the best cars built by Benz. 10yrs and 140k and she still looks and drives great. No repetitive issues, replaced crank sensor (about $250) just that and normal service. I highly reccomed these cars....but know it's history!

Safety, performance, looks, ability to look great after 10yrs and 140,000 miles!

Usual mediocre MB radio and trunk mounted CD.

• SUV