Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

315K and Going Strong
By Mercman

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought mine new in '99 and now has 315,000 miles and going strong. Replaced engine mounts about a year ago and shocks and struts a few years ago -- not that they absolutely had to be replaced, but it was a bit of an improvement. Body is close to perfect, as is the interior. Still has the original 16-year old battery, and last winter we had 10 consecutive days of below zero temps, and it started up every time without a hitch! This car was overbuilt (before Mercedes went to Chrysler and back). Basically, all that I've done is change the synthetic oil every 10K miles and, of course, periodic tire and brake changes. If you can pick one up which has been well maintained, you will NOT be disappointed. Very smooth and powerful ride, and still getting 25 mph on the highway (and best cruise control of any car I ever owned).

It Just Keeps on Ticking!
By carolyn baker

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought my 99 e320 4matic in 02 with 78K miles. A tree fell on it in a hurricane in year 2 and creased it down the middle. I thought it would be declared as totalled. It was repaired by the insurance company at a cost of $7,000. Had the transmission replaced 2 years ago. This vehicle lgets excellent gas mileage. On the highway I get 470+ miles to a tank of gas which I believe holds 18.5 gallons (about 25 mpg highway). I absolutely love to drive this car. The header is falling down a little in the back from where the tree creased it. Otherwise, it is pretty enough. I am presently at 256,000 miles and look forward to my next road trip

last of the bank vault Benzs
By jr17

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I know my MB's trust me on this. The 96-99 E class is by far the best years of the E class. DO NOT buy a 2000 or newer. I have 215k on mine. Paint is starting to fade a bit, a little rattle in the Cat Conv other than that, it drives and runs like new. Chrysler ruined the name from 2000 to like 2007 or roughly around there. They tried to infuse their technology into the E class at this time and failed miserably. A 2000 E class is a K car with a MB star on the hood. The 99 is heavy, solid, and feels German. It's a little underpowered, and don't buy a 4matic if you are worried about gas. If you value your family's safety, want to to stay out of trouble, and want to look cool, buy a 99

AWD Jeep like in the snow seats, solid feel, brakes. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Could use a little more low end torque, radio sucks, thats it though.

Best Vehicle Around
By benz99

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased this car at 92,000KM from a Doctor who bought the car brand new in November 1998 for $79,000(All options included). This car now has 176,000KM and outputs performance like no other vehicle could. I have looked at purchasing a brand new Mercedes in the past, and I must say that the current generation E Class is built more like the 1996-2002 E Class. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a 2003-2009 E Class, they are an overall poor vehicle. If you want a luxury sedan that is built like a tank and is capable of going really fast, THIS IS YOUR CAR. When I purchase my 2012 E350, I will NOT be getting rid of my 1999 E320, it's just that great.

Absolutely Everything -Control Layout -Appearance and Comfort -Power and Torque -Handling -Ride Quality Etc...

The ONLY thing I dislike about this car is having to parallel park on a busy street.

Too expensive to maintain!!!!!
By Rich

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I have never written a review on a car until this one. It has been soo expensive to repair I felt I had to warn people not to buy the car. The rear windows use some sort of plastic strap to make them go up and down and they dry rot. They have broken 4 times in my ownership and it cost $600 each. Service is 300-700 every 7,000 miles. Every time you bring it in for service there is something new that will cost you another $500. The most recent issue is they said the rubber boots around my axles are cracking and they want $1,200 to fix it. That's right not that the axles are out just the BOOTS and it is going to be $1,200. I am buying a LEXUS or ACURA next.

NONE

Mercedes if you charge soo much for a car make it reliable. If you have an issue like the rear windows straps breaking all the time RECALL IT!!

• SUV