Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

It is the best ever
By Abdelmonem Makki

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

this is the second car to drive in my life. I do not think that i will get any better car than this. i thinks its one of the safest, strongest, and nicest car out there.

This Car is Great - If you know what to Buy!
By John Sakon

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased my 1999 MB-320 when it was 3 years old with 12,500 miles. I have since driven is 217,000 miles. It is reliable, dependable and I get reasonable gas mileage. Mind you, this is the year when the Germans came to America to fix the MB American plant. The 1998 model was assembled by the Americans and was a total piece of crap. It broke. The 1999 had the same problems up to about April 1999. Then the Germans came in and straightened things out. So if you buy this used, carefully look at the date of manufacture. If it is prior to April, run! If it is after April, you have a good truck.

Two problems to watch out for. The check Engine light comes on and the dealer wants $450-$700 to fix. This is a total rip off. The MB Bosch Mass Air Flow Sensor retails for $350. However, a cheap British Car uses the exact same Bosch Mass Air Flow Sensor as the ML and it can be purchased for $150. Twenty minutes with a screw driver and reset the computer and your Check Engine LIght problems are solved.

One time I was traveling and the my car dies. Only one occurance. Wait a while and it was fine. Limped to my mechanic (car dies and then drives) and he replaced a $5 ignition part. End of Story. Buying a used ML I would talk to a good MB mechanic and id that part. He will know the culprit off the top of his head. Just replace it immediately.

If you treat this car nice, it will treat you nice. Get good tires (Michelin). You can use cheap gas. The computer adjusts. You sacrifice some power, but you will catch everybody at the next light.

This care likes to do 80. It hates doing 60. It can do 90 to 100 without any problem. So if you are out west, it is good on those long lonely highways.

Take care!

315K and Going Strong
By Mercman

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought mine new in '99 and now has 315,000 miles and going strong. Replaced engine mounts about a year ago and shocks and struts a few years ago -- not that they absolutely had to be replaced, but it was a bit of an improvement. Body is close to perfect, as is the interior. Still has the original 16-year old battery, and last winter we had 10 consecutive days of below zero temps, and it started up every time without a hitch! This car was overbuilt (before Mercedes went to Chrysler and back). Basically, all that I've done is change the synthetic oil every 10K miles and, of course, periodic tire and brake changes. If you can pick one up which has been well maintained, you will NOT be disappointed. Very smooth and powerful ride, and still getting 25 mph on the highway (and best cruise control of any car I ever owned).

It Just Keeps on Ticking!
By carolyn baker

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought my 99 e320 4matic in 02 with 78K miles. A tree fell on it in a hurricane in year 2 and creased it down the middle. I thought it would be declared as totalled. It was repaired by the insurance company at a cost of $7,000. Had the transmission replaced 2 years ago.

This vehicle lgets excellent gas mileage. On the highway I get 470+ miles to a tank of gas which I believe holds 18.5 gallons (about 25 mpg highway). I absolutely love to drive this car. The header is falling down a little in the back from where the tree creased it. Otherwise, it is pretty enough. I am presently at 256,000 miles and look forward to my next road trip

Well, If You Must Know....
By dwild

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I bought the 99 MB E320, with 98,000 miles on it. I have owned this vehicle for over 6 years. Had to replace the AC / $1500.00, replaced the belt / $700.00..routine oil changes / every 4-5 months / $98.00 per service, need motor mounts, need electric work on brake lights, paint is severely peeled on top, front and back hood / paint job: $1500. But, as for the driving of the car? Well, I now have $219800 miles on it. It still drives smoothly, very powerful, very safe, handles extremely well. Yeah, it needs some cosmetic work, but, this is the most reliable, safest car that I have ever driven! I believe that with continued routine maintenance, I could drive it another 220,000 miles..easy