Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

First Car
By automaniac9

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

This car is an amazing piece of machinery and is the last year of the reliable Mercedes. This car having a 4.3 liter V8 just made the car a sleeper, especially considering that it had no badging anywhere. The transmission shifts almost seemlessly. It has great power and good handling, but this particular car stood out from the pack because of the real Brabus exhaust, and the replica Brabus 19" wheels. The car sounds fantastic and it isn't overly loud. The interior of this car doesn't have the flare of Mercedes of old, but it's simple and functional, and that's all you should need. The exterior is much like the interior, simple but nice to look at, especially in the white color mine was in.

The power is really suprising, especially considering it's a 4.3 liter SOHC. The ride is great, even though it was lowered. The Bose sound system sounds great in this car, nice bass and just a good balance. The gas mileage is great for a V8; I was getting 21mpg with mixed driving.

The interior could be more exciting to look at, especially the gauge cluster. The trunk could be a lot bigger considering the size of the car.

Solid choice
By bwr1975

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

1999 E430 with 130000miles. Cars drives like a dream and performs very well especially for a car of this weight. I get 23-26mpg and enjoy using my right foot... Paid just under 8k for the car 1 year ago and have only spent $300 on repairs (crank shaft sensor). Fun to drive, reliable, safe as hell, inexpensive, classic and able to take this car anywhere make it a winner in my book. Hands down my favorite car out of the 5 Mercedes that I have owned.

Bad Car
By Davis

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I bought this car, my first Mercedes, and while driving down the road, with the family, the front drivers side coil spring came flying out. This also caused the ball joint and the tie rod to give up the ghost. Asked Mercedes for help with the bill, 1700.00 and got a resounding NO!. Seems like this should be a recall, and or Mercedes would live up to the mechanical default without me having to hire a lawyer. Won't own another, I will but something that doesn't self destruct while I'm driving down the road.

Has plenty of power.

It's supposed to be the wolrds best engineered machine, I would beg to differ with that idea.

excellent car in every way
By Anne Alden

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I've leased a lot of high end cars and just recently bought a used 1999 E430 with 115K miles on it. Most people say don't buy a car with high miles, but it is when purchasing a used car I have found it is more than just miles, but maintenance, records, etc. This car was well maintained and taken to the dealer for repairs, garage kept. I love this car and had it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic before purchasing. I will never buy a new car again. This car is great to drive, beautiful and sophisticated. If you buy a used car, make sure to check it out thoroughly before purchasing so you don't have any surprises because the repairs are costly. Do your due diligence.

Cruise control, interior, exterior, sophistication, elegance and smooth ride

nothing yet

Below average quality automobile
By Craig

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I have owned my E320 since new--10+ years. In that period of time, I have spent an average $422 a month on routine service and an average of $534 per month on repairs. Repairs like 3 window regulators; rear differential seals (recall item); CD player went south after 5 years; leaky transmission plug replaced twice; right and left 02 sensors; vibration damper recall; airflow sensor; broken front coil spring; crankshaft sensor; entire rear tail lamp assembly. I have 120,000 miles on it. Granted a few but I don't expect repairs like from MB. I have owned a number of other autos and have not replaced anything like the things I replaced/repaired on this auto.

Beautiful car. Fantastic paint job. Drives very nice.

Need to improve overall quality tremendously.