1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
First Car
By automaniac9 on 03/04/14 10:44 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

This car is an amazing piece of machinery and is the last year of the reliable Mercedes. This car having a 4.3 liter V8 just made the car a sleeper, especially considering that it had no badging anywhere. The transmission shifts almost seemlessly. It has great power and good handling, but this particular car stood out from the pack because of the real Brabus exhaust, and the replica Brabus 19" wheels. The car sounds fantastic and it isn't overly loud. The interior of this car doesn't have the flare of Mercedes of old, but it's simple and functional, and that's all you should need. The exterior is much like the interior, simple but nice to look at, especially in the white color mine was in.

Solid choice
By bwr1975 on 12/20/11 10:54 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

1999 E430 with 130000miles. Cars drives like a dream and performs very well especially for a car of this weight. I get 23-26mpg and enjoy using my right foot... Paid just under 8k for the car 1 year ago and have only spent $300 on repairs (crank shaft sensor). Fun to drive, reliable, safe as hell, inexpensive, classic and able to take this car anywhere make it a winner in my book. Hands down my favorite car out of the 5 Mercedes that I have owned.

Bad Car
By Davis on 01/19/10 06:17 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I bought this car, my first Mercedes, and while driving down the road, with the family, the front drivers side coil spring came flying out. This also caused the ball joint and the tie rod to give up the ghost. Asked Mercedes for help with the bill, 1700.00 and got a resounding NO!. Seems like this should be a recall, and or Mercedes would live up to the mechanical default without me having to hire a lawyer. Won't own another, I will but something that doesn't self destruct while I'm driving down the road.

excellent car in every way
By Anne Alden on 12/02/09 20:10 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I've leased a lot of high end cars and just recently bought a used 1999 E430 with 115K miles on it. Most people say don't buy a car with high miles, but it is when purchasing a used car I have found it is more than just miles, but maintenance, records, etc. This car was well maintained and taken to the dealer for repairs, garage kept. I love this car and had it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic before purchasing. I will never buy a new car again. This car is great to drive, beautiful and sophisticated. If you buy a used car, make sure to check it out thoroughly before purchasing so you don't have any surprises because the repairs are costly. Do your due diligence.

Below average quality automobile
By Craig on 11/29/09 14:10 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I have owned my E320 since new--10+ years. In that period of time, I have spent an average $422 a month on routine service and an average of $534 per month on repairs. Repairs like 3 window regulators; rear differential seals (recall item); CD player went south after 5 years; leaky transmission plug replaced twice; right and left 02 sensors; vibration damper recall; airflow sensor; broken front coil spring; crankshaft sensor; entire rear tail lamp assembly. I have 120,000 miles on it. Granted a few but I don't expect repairs like from MB. I have owned a number of other autos and have not replaced anything like the things I replaced/repaired on this auto.

Outstanding Mercedes!
By Kieran on 07/23/09 07:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Just turned 140,000 miles. Fabulous car, super reliable. The key to buying a great used MB is the service history. I have had many MB products, history is everything. If you buy from Sam and Louie down at the corner and no one knows anything other then the price...well good luck. This is one of the best cars built by Benz. 10yrs and 140k and she still looks and drives great. No repetitive issues, replaced crank sensor (about $250) just that and normal service. I highly reccomed these cars....but know it's history!

Nice - Really Nice
By jw on 12/30/07 19:35 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I owned a couple of MBs back in the 80s and while they were reliable (boringly so), they were just not fun to drive. I recently purchased a 1999 E430 just because it looked good on the lot and had only 30000 miles on it (in June of 2007!). I must say these cars have come a long, long, way. This thing is powerful, smooth, and handles like it's on rails. It gets 31 mpg on the Interstate (in cruise control)and averages 25. If you need a great used car for a real bargain price, look at one of these wonderful machines.

Enthusiast's best used car value!
By MercConvert on 08/13/07 22:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

After much research and driving most competing models, including BMW 5 series, Lexus LS 400, Mercedes e320, etc. the e430 proved to be the car for me. 30+ mpg hwy at 75 - 80 mph. Quiet, comfortable, most E320 options are standard. This car feels soft but as soon as you push it a bit in hunker's down and handles! Great stereo and seats! Find a reputable independent shop and maintain it well. Find a well maintained carfax certified model. It'll never be as care free as a Camry, but it will never drive like one either!

E430 rules
By Tommy on 12/06/05 15:28 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

The E430 is my third Mercedes Benz. I'e had the C280, E320, E320 4matic and now the E430. I miss my awd but I can honestly say this model has made me the most satisfied to date. The power is awesome and drivers give you respect when you come rolling thru. It's truly the ultimate in luxury. Once you drive one there's no turning back.

Very nice car
By ynot on 08/02/05 23:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Bought used "E430 sport model" on ebay. 44K miles. Drove it home. I regularly take 2K+ mile business trips up and down the east coast. I love it. Excellent build (not quite as good as my old 126, but still very nice). Very fast, but not obnoxiously so. Great sound system, excellent AC, handles well, stops well, cleans up nicely. I would buy another.