Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

My Best Friend on the Road
By Mr. Robertson

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned this car 1 Year, and 30,000 miles. My wife is the primary driver for her 50 mile round trip commute. It is by far the most solid feeling vehicle I have ever driven. The 4-matic, and ESP traction control give me great confidance in all weather conditions. I live in Kentuckly and it is very hilly and snow is slow to cleared on our roads. It has great cargo space and is hugely versitile. I can haul my two dogs in the back, or fold up the rear seat and roll down the cargo net for 5 Adults and 2 8th graders to ride Comfortably. I have better safety and versatility than an SUV and have taken it off road, absolutely with no wheel spin. I will drive this car for many years to come

Favorite Features

4-matic, stereo, headlight washers, memory seat adjustment on the door where you need it. 12,000 mile oil changes.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are awful.

Swapped the SUV
By DPS

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Family of 6 swapped the Expedition for the wagon. We had nothing to tow and make up for the cargo space with a Thule cartop carrier (when all 6 of us are in the car). We avg 23 mpg hwy and 21 city (10+ better than the EXP.) AWD (4matic) is a must for us in Alaska and performed great last winter in the snow and ice. We used Nokian snow/alpine rated studless tires. The kids love it(11,9,5,6mo)it is wide enough that there is none of the "He's touching me!". The third row seat is big enough for the 11 and 9 yr old to sit comfortably. We'll drive it 'til it dies.

Favorite Features

Quiet power=Sneaky speed -- watch that speedometer. 4matic (AWD) handling. No SUV lean on the turns.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup-holders in the front as spilled coffee near the shifter goes straight to the transmission electronics (pricey).

E320 AWD WAGON
By michaelm

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

One of the best cars I've ever owned. Solidly built and HUGE cargo space...bigger than most SUVs without the risk of rollover. I would suggest getting an extended warranty as repairs can be pricey. To replace the AWD mechanism cost 4k but the warranty covered. I liked the car so much I bought two.

Favorite Features

great seat warmers and windshield wipers

Suggested Improvements

be able to tune the radio w/ a button on the steering wheel. they have this in the 2000 model

Buy a Volvo Wagon
By kend

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Very comfortable, excellent turning radius, spacious rear seating. Sacrifice reliability and quality for luxury. Loud brake squeak from day one Mercedes advised would diminish with use and it has not. By 15000 miles the window washer pump, a/c fan, CD changer, vanity mirror/light, cup holder all had to be replaced. Owned a Volvo wagon wished we had purchased another (Volvo T5).

Favorite Features

Comfortable front seats, highway ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliablity and quality. Add in- dash CD changer.