1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Review: Not that bad for a 10 year old

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Review

E320 4MATIC Sedan (3.2L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Not that bad for a 10 year old car
By K.W. on

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

Okay, I read a lot of complaints about this car, but it's not really that bad if you take care of it. Maintenance costs are fairly high if you don't know how to do simple maintenance yourself. It's not only the labor that is expensive if you have to bring it in, it's also the parts. The best fuel economy I've gotten on this tank is 27mpg driving from Minneapolis to Chicago in the summer. If you're trying to be frugal, don't buy this car. Otherwise, I pray every day that nothing breaks on it. Meanwhile, I really enjoy driving this E320 4matic. Just take good care of it, do all the maintenance in advance and it'll run fine.

The exterior design, the way it drives in the snow and on dry pavement. All the features and amenities (Xenon lights, sun roof, rear sun shade, stability control, tilt/telescope wheel with memory, headlight illumination after parking, 5-speed automatic, overall very solid car.

Plastic trims are very frail. My rear view mirror cracked in two places, wood trim craked in two places, passenger airbag cracked. Electronic knobs on the radio stinkss (goes louder when turning it down) and some switchez like the power seat adjustment switches kinda messed up. Parts are expensive.