1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Review: definitely not a Toyota

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon - Consumer Review

definitely not a Toyota
By bdkman on

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Nice ride, comfort & decent traction,reliability is lacking.I have had Japanese designed & manufactured cars for the past 10 years or so so I was expecting the Benz to be comparable - not so.The car is plagued with little annoying problems that I won't tolerate.Like an old set of Christmas lights I never know which light will not be out next. Sunroof broke just out of warrany $300, engine gives off a nice blue smoke cloud when it starts, CD changer broke(CD's entombed inside, various unexplained glitches in the stability control electronics & in the electronic throttle control. Low fuel pressure trips Engine Light too!

Looks clasy, decent traction with AWD but should have better type of tires to do a good job, very comfortable seats, lots of room in the back seat and in the cargo area.

Make the lights at least as reliable as the ones on my 1970 Dodge Dart I used to drive in College, improve dashboard controls (you have to read the label on every button to use them) get rid of engine problems.