1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
My 5th Mercedes, still good, not best.
By Steve H. on 02/20/06 13:39 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned 3 E class. this is really a fine vehicle. quality definitely less than a German car used to be. 1 sensor after another need to be replaced. Ride quality still better than average wagon. 4matic works great in snow. Steering wheel feels the best in all cars I had owned (more than 40). Dealership service is very good, free pick up and delivery to my house. Of course, invoices is nothing under $1000. Re-sell value is BAD. I paid $30K 3 years ago, now worth $12-13K only. HVAC is far worse than Japanese cars. Even my "S" class AC still not good as my 1991 Lexus. Well, still receive a lot of complements in parking lot.

It is a good car..but expensive to keep
By Steve Ho on 11/03/05 17:22 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought it as a certified pre-owned. the dealer was great..deliver the car to my wife's office..Fed Exp overnight a spare key as soon as my wife it on 2nd day..my local MB dealer pick up and return it for service..need road side assistance three times..the good side they showed up in an hour everytime. great services again. drive and ride great last 3 years. Cost to keep it is not cheap at all. my last invoice to replace 2 sensors and a few small things came to $2000. In last 3 services, nothing under $500. Engine noise increase in last 6 months. Dealer say it is normal.

Get ready for headaches!!!
By steven e on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

extremely frustrated . I have had annoying problems ever since buying. Passenger side mirror popped out when a child brushed with a knapsack. Had to have an entire new unit. new retaining clip would have worked. Pneumatic seat controls went with a $700 repair quote. Driving light bulb had to be replaced requiring a lift to get the car high enough to remove panels. Single windshield wiper is a royal pain. If there is not quite enough water on the window, the wiper skips across. A couple of hours of that will make you put a gun in your mouth!

Sweet Car
By KoolB70 on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Have not had this car long, bought it used with 60,000 miles as an alternative to a larger SUV. So far it has been perfect and fits our 3 kids just right. Three car-seats easily fit across the second row of seats and the 3rd row seats provides added seating versatility. The car was in excellent mechanical shape when I bought it. I did have to pay for sceduled maintenance and replace a few items due to normal wear and tear. Mercedes maintenance and replacement parts CAN be very expensive.

definitely not a Toyota
By bdkman on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Nice ride, comfort & decent traction,reliability is lacking.I have had Japanese designed & manufactured cars for the past 10 years or so so I was expecting the Benz to be comparable - not so.The car is plagued with little annoying problems that I won't tolerate.Like an old set of Christmas lights I never know which light will not be out next. Sunroof broke just out of warrany $300, engine gives off a nice blue smoke cloud when it starts, CD changer broke(CD's entombed inside, various unexplained glitches in the stability control electronics & in the electronic throttle control. Low fuel pressure trips Engine Light too!

Exhilarating Disapointment
By leekaster on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I was thrilled to get this wagon for our retirement vehicle. It had apprx one year left on the warranty; good thing! Rear load leveling shocks started leaking oil. Driver seat heater gave out. After warr. up, air flow sensor for engine gave out. Turn signal collar started rotating with lever. Leak developed in hose to rear load-level shocks, cost $354 to cut & reconnect hose.

Worth the Price
By Patrick Merkle on 03/14/02 22:19 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

We were lucky to find an off-lease E320S4 w/just 17K miles. Watch fuel capacity: it's 18.1 INCLUDING reserve. Owner's manual appears ambiguous re 2.4 g "reserve". A sporty ride, disguised as a family wagon.