Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Mercedes Money Pit
By or_cagirl

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4dr Wagon

I bought this wagon in Portland from a European used car dealership a few years ago. It only had 105 thousand miles, interior and exterior in great condition. My previous car was a 91 Volvo wagon and lasted 20 years but with teens being over 6'2, the Mercedes wagon has more leg room than the Volvos. Car ran well for the first year, then the mechanical problems started one after another. The cost for just an oil change is minimum $200.00. I paid $6000.00 for the car in 2010. Since then I have put over $10.000 into it in repairs. I spent less on my Volvo in the 20 years I owned it. I love the room of the E320 but the cost has been a nightmare. Caution before you buy!!!!

Seat 7 passengers

Sunroof leaks, no cup holders in the front, not a smooth/quiet ride

Not your Daddy's wagon
By James

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4dr Wagon

I have only had my 1998 MB E320 wagon for 3 years. I have to upgrade in size due to the upgrade in size of my family but I really don't want this car to go. It's been super reliable, easy on the wallet at the pump, and has never lacked in fun factor. My kids even love the car! If anyone is ever in the market for a good used road trip car, this is it!

Xenon headlamps. Massive cargo space in rear. Effortless handling and steering

Mine didn't have heated seats. No Mercedes Benz should come without them!

My 5th Mercedes, still good, not best.
By Steve H.

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned 3 E class. this is really a fine vehicle. quality definitely less than a German car used to be. 1 sensor after another need to be replaced. Ride quality still better than average wagon. 4matic works great in snow. Steering wheel feels the best in all cars I had owned (more than 40). Dealership service is very good, free pick up and delivery to my house. Of course, invoices is nothing under $1000. Re-sell value is BAD. I paid $30K 3 years ago, now worth $12-13K only. HVAC is far worse than Japanese cars. Even my "S" class AC still not good as my 1991 Lexus. Well, still receive a lot of complements in parking lot.

4Matic works great in winter in NY upstate mountain roads. 3rd seat is favor features for all kids visit my car. Steering feel is definite MB.

HVAC particularly in summer. suspension can use a bit softer/luxury turning.

It is a good car..but expensive to keep
By Steve Ho

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought it as a certified pre-owned. the dealer was great..deliver the car to my wife's office..Fed Exp overnight a spare key as soon as my wife it on 2nd day..my local MB dealer pick up and return it for service..need road side assistance three times..the good side they showed up in an hour everytime. great services again. drive and ride great last 3 years. Cost to keep it is not cheap at all. my last invoice to replace 2 sensors and a few small things came to $2000. In last 3 services, nothing under $500. Engine noise increase in last 6 months. Dealer say it is normal.

Soild ride and "just right..on the soft side" handling. Interior is spacious and jump seats are great for kids.

Better HVAC and reliability.

Get ready for headaches!!!
By steven e

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

extremely frustrated . I have had annoying problems ever since buying. Passenger side mirror popped out when a child brushed with a knapsack. Had to have an entire new unit. new retaining clip would have worked. Pneumatic seat controls went with a $700 repair quote. Driving light bulb had to be replaced requiring a lift to get the car high enough to remove panels. Single windshield wiper is a royal pain. If there is not quite enough water on the window, the wiper skips across. A couple of hours of that will make you put a gun in your mouth!

I think the exterior design is attractive.

Improve the quality of all features on the car so owners won't need a second mortgage to afford it