1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Terribly Unreliable
By rchampaneri on 09/16/13 18:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

never ever in my life would i have thought to recieve such a TERRIBLE car. 1 month after owning it, the headlights wont turn off. then the battery died. seeing as im in high school i was ok with it sitting for a day or two. but once i bought a new battery none of the electric component were working. (radio, speedometer, gas gauge, windows, door locks) i bought the car at 139k

The worest Mercedes-Benz I ever had
By voice1 on 10/17/12 13:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

This car I bought new 1998 , as soon as it went over 95000 Km the oil add oil started , in a 300 miles trip I would have to add at least two quarts . Then the electronics started to fall , the headlight the tail light light bulbs almost every two to three week. Rust in the trunk around the key lock . I would say my 230 1988 or my 200 D 1973 were million time better built cars . I lost intrest in buying another Mercedes .

E320 at 195,000 miles
By jbnj1 on 11/02/11 12:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

ok at an amazing 195k on the clock this car just never stops amazing me , I bought this car about 1.5 yrs ago and my wife takes this car from nj to Lex va reguraly about 1000 miles round, I have no fear in letteing her do this with this car, I WOULD NEVER let her use any of our other cars ((3) all with less milage) to do this,,, this car gets about 30mpg , stops on a dime with akbono pads , and you can eat a bowl a soup in this car at 100-120mph and yes I've run this car personaly on I95, I81, and I76 multiple times in the triple digits ,The BEST USED CAR I've ever owned, this veh gets regular service , and when it was bought i recvd complete records, if you can do so too , buy it

What an amazing car!!!!
By porthmadog on 06/07/11 20:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I bought my E320 in Arizona 2 years ago. I originally only wanted to drive a manual car, however in trying to be objective in my car selection, I test drove an E320. Immediatly I loved it. Aside from one minor mishap with a transmission hose that was improperly put on during a flush (bad garage), I have had not a single issue. I even enjoyed my husband changing the over engineered 12 spark plugs, saving me over 1000 dollars. I currently have 111600 miles on the clock and am looking forward to having my E320 for many years to come. I will never buy another car unless it is a Mercedes.

1998 MB
By damngoodlookin on 12/25/08 22:12 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for a year now. I have regular service at a independent mechanic. I have had basically almost no problems with it at all except a leak in an after-market chrome wheel, which was fixed for $29. Although there are a number of newer MB in my work parking lot, the valets like to park mine right in front, maybe because the '98 E is the size of the newer S series and the styling is so great. I am more than pleased with it.

The best car
By sergey on 09/18/08 08:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

This car is the best car that I ever had. I would not change it to any other car except a newer one but the same model. When you drive this you enjoy it. You do not want to stop driving it!

Love my Benz
By Grant on 06/17/07 17:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Mercedes. I bought this 2.5 years ago with 75,000 miles and have 120,00 on it now. Routine maintenance is more expensive, but at the end of the day, Im not driving a Honda and dont expect this to act/cost like one. I love the feel, the weight, and the safety. My gas mileage is getting better with time. (22/30 respectively) I could not be happier! Know what you're buying (good maintenance history, hasn't been abused) and know what to expect (its more expensive to maintain).

This is it for me!
By Hoops McCann on 10/04/06 12:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Everything about this vehicle is wonderful. Mercedes hit a home run with model. I owned a Saab 900 Turbo for 17 yrs. (276K on the clock) and was sad to see it go. Thought I'd never find a car with the same reliability. Even though it's 8 years old, I still get the looks of "Wow!"

1998 Mercedes 320 E
By TLK on 06/10/06 22:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

This is my second Mercedes. The first was a 1984 300D, Both cars drive exactly the same. Except the 320 has Superior acceleration, perfect handling. In hard corners, it leans, then sticks in position until leaving the corner. Okay, the "air" had to repaired under warranty. Not under warranty was right rear window lift,and the dual cooling fans. Remember, German cars were built to be driven hard! They thrive in RPM'S and enjoy hard corners! Ask any knowledgable BMW or Porsche owner. I had a 1979 320i BMW. That car drove better at 120,000 miles than when it was new. Don't baby these cars. Drive them hard!

last mistake
By lee1849 on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Unbeleivable that this car can have something go wrong every six months like clock work. I drove my Lexus for over 125000 miles with one repair (air) In 84000 miles I have had to replace both rear window motors, engine sensors twice, air fan unit,and a oil seal--a friend told me he carries oil in his trunk. I won't make this mistake again.