1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300TD Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

1998 E-Class Consumer Reviews

E300TD 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

WARNING! Bad Engineering ahead
By vwbus1979

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

After five long years of owning my 98 E300 TD, I am left with a completely destroyed car due to poor engineering on MBZ. Turns out MBZ designed the transmission cooler INSIDE the radiator. The tranny cooler contains oil and the radiator contains water. Think about it. Yup! The two mixed last weekend and water went into the transmission, completely destroying the transmission, torque converter and engine electronics leaving me with a $7k bill for a car worth only $9k. Last summer, it was $4k to replace the diesel injectors. The summer before that, $2400 to replace the A/C unit and belts. The car only has 104k miles on it. It is now scrap metal. Unreal.

Favorite Features

The interior is really nice. The fit and finish is extraordinary. When you close the doors, it feels safe. The handling is really nice and the efficiency of the turbo diesel engine is a huge plus in times of high fuel prices. The automobile was obviously meant to last a long time so they did put a lot of effort into window seals, interior trim pieces and more. Lots of those finishing touches really makes for a nice ride that, if taken care of, will last a long time.

Suggested Improvements

Well, what can I say? After $10k + of maintenance costs over 5 years time only to be stabbed in the heart with a terrible $7k failure due to poor engineering...It's disappointing. The car makes for a really good first impression because the fit and finish is so nice! But be WARNED! Like the Audi and BMW, the E300 is very costly to keep maintained. I'm a BIG believer in maintaining an auto with the thought that the more you keep it maintained, the longer it will last. I still think that is true but ... at some point you have to draw the line at how much you throw at a car before the "worth it" scale tips. The E300 did not age well for me.

Solid Car
By Solar Winds

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I was rear ended at a stop light by a pick up truck going fast and all I heard were screeching tires and then the crash. The e300 took a hard hit and did well. I got out out with whip lash. The seat held me in like a glove and felt if I was driving a lighter tinier car it would have been worse. The insurance company paid me 2300 more then what I paid for it. This diesel engine is great and gets up to 30 city and 36 hwy going 80 mph. I am debating on a new diesel or a 320, 430 e or c class This is a safe car and fuel is cheap knowing your safe...

Favorite Features

Built like a panzer.

Suggested Improvements

Bring more diesels to USA and put the 4 cyl diesel in the C class 50 mpg.

Diesel Quality
By John

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car sight un seen or test drove it, because it was an incredible deal. I had it shiped from Dallas to NJ and auto Transporters .com did as promised. the car is driving great and has plenty of power and room and I have achieved 36 mpg although I am getting 32.5 avg. When i first got it i was getting 27 to 29 because of a bad tire, and transmission was low on fluids and leaking. once i fixd the tire and had a tranny service done leak stoped and Mpg jumped up to 32.5 mpg. I had an e430 with heated and leather seats this car does not but i have dogs and the MBTEX is better for me. As of now all is in working order i have put 4000.00 miles on it.

Favorite Features

In line turbo diesel engine its powerfull and sips Fuel. rid,. comfort, style, MbTEX. Handling, tires, telescopic steering wheel, sun roof, weight and safety, lots of air bags.

Suggested Improvements

It is 2008 and the new Blue Techs are out, test drove one and its great ave. 35 mpg Why dont MB put a Diesel in a C Class and get 40 + mpg and lower the price 08 Blue Tech 56K, I am going to waite a few years and get an 05.

Great long-term runner
By Bus Man

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

Excellent fuel economy, 30MPG average. Good reliability once bugs were worked out. Motor runs like new with 134,000 miles, and the car still feels very solid, with shock & brake/rotor replacement.

E300Td
By Chief

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 45000 miles on it. Absolute diesel rocket ship, amazing economy. Superb drive.

Favorite Features

Performance, ecomomy, ride & handling.

First Diesel
By bart47

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

What a great car! My second used Mercedes, first diesel. Amazed the first time I drove it by the pickup and smoothness of the engine. The torque is so much better than gas engines. This is evident by the ability of the car to maintain cruise speed on the steepest hill without downshifting. My wife was skeptical about buying a used car with 101,000 miles, but now she loves it.

Favorite Features

Cruise control, heated seats, >28 mpg, comfortable seats and quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Turn signal is too low on the steering column. I'm constantly reaching for the cruise control to dim the lights!

Good Car, many problems
By kermit780

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

We have owned our E300TD for almost five years now. It is overall a good car, but there were so many problems that were unnecessary. At 9,000 the cupholder lid would not stay up and had to be replaced. To this day even the replacement does not work. We have had this vehicle serviced eight times for glowplug related issues, usually them failing. The sunroof stopped operating, the rear window came off track. There are other issues, but not enough time or space. The interior has no perks or electronic gadgets. When you pay that much for a car is a CD player too much to ask for, without paying $800 for the factory CD changer.

Favorite Features

Styling, headlights especially.

Suggested Improvements

Needs at least 17" wheels to balance the look. Fix glowplug issues. Improve overall quality.

Diesel Turbo 300
By Roger Bhatti

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I wish USA was still importing Dielel. It is the best.

Favorite Features

Gas milage, Look

Suggested Improvements

Quicker response from A/C & Heat

Mercedes Diesel
By vl39

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

Have been purchasing automobiles for 40 years, and this was my fifth(5) Mercedes. I have owned 1997 BMW740il, 1998 BMW328iC, Cadillacs, Pontiacs, 1961 Austin Healy. My 1998 E300TD is the best all around vehicle I have ever owned. Great mileage(>30mph), excellent handling and ride comfort, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds and 135mph top end with superb reliability. I have put on 91,000 road miles in 4 years with not one problem! I will sell this vehicle in the next few months because Mercedes has just announced they are bringing the diesel back to the US in the E class, a E270CDI, that will get 40mph.

Favorite Features

Rain Sensing Wiper, Xenon Lights, Mileage and handling.

I am happy
By costa

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I love the car. Problems have been with normal service at particular dealers. Some dealers are so much better than others. Don't buy a diesel that isnt a turbo. 8.3 seconds 0 to 6 is not a bad time for a diesel.

Favorite Features

CD changer, and seat warmers. My front passengers--all love the front seat warmers

Suggested Improvements

not just mercedes, but with a six cd changer in the trunk, why not 1 cd for input in the front. this way (yes i realize it is a second mechanism), without stopping to go to put new cd's in, one could replace the one cd.