Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

My 5th Mercedes, still good, not best.
By Steve H.

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned 3 E class. this is really a fine vehicle. quality definitely less than a German car used to be. 1 sensor after another need to be replaced. Ride quality still better than average wagon. 4matic works great in snow. Steering wheel feels the best in all cars I had owned (more than 40). Dealership service is very good, free pick up and delivery to my house. Of course, invoices is nothing under $1000. Re-sell value is BAD. I paid $30K 3 years ago, now worth $12-13K only. HVAC is far worse than Japanese cars. Even my "S" class AC still not good as my 1991 Lexus. Well, still receive a lot of complements in parking lot.

Favorite Features

4Matic works great in winter in NY upstate mountain roads. 3rd seat is favor features for all kids visit my car. Steering feel is definite MB.

Suggested Improvements

HVAC particularly in summer. suspension can use a bit softer/luxury turning.

It is a good car..but expensive to keep
By Steve Ho

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought it as a certified pre-owned. the dealer was great..deliver the car to my wife's office..Fed Exp overnight a spare key as soon as my wife it on 2nd day..my local MB dealer pick up and return it for service..need road side assistance three times..the good side they showed up in an hour everytime. great services again. drive and ride great last 3 years. Cost to keep it is not cheap at all. my last invoice to replace 2 sensors and a few small things came to $2000. In last 3 services, nothing under $500. Engine noise increase in last 6 months. Dealer say it is normal.

Favorite Features

Soild ride and "just right..on the soft side" handling. Interior is spacious and jump seats are great for kids.

Suggested Improvements

Better HVAC and reliability.

Get ready for headaches!!!
By steven e

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

extremely frustrated . I have had annoying problems ever since buying. Passenger side mirror popped out when a child brushed with a knapsack. Had to have an entire new unit. new retaining clip would have worked. Pneumatic seat controls went with a $700 repair quote. Driving light bulb had to be replaced requiring a lift to get the car high enough to remove panels. Single windshield wiper is a royal pain. If there is not quite enough water on the window, the wiper skips across. A couple of hours of that will make you put a gun in your mouth!

Favorite Features

I think the exterior design is attractive.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of all features on the car so owners won't need a second mortgage to afford it

Sweet Car
By KoolB70

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Have not had this car long, bought it used with 60,000 miles as an alternative to a larger SUV. So far it has been perfect and fits our 3 kids just right. Three car-seats easily fit across the second row of seats and the 3rd row seats provides added seating versatility. The car was in excellent mechanical shape when I bought it. I did have to pay for sceduled maintenance and replace a few items due to normal wear and tear. Mercedes maintenance and replacement parts CAN be very expensive.

Favorite Features

Body style, especially view from the front. Car has a very stately appearance. Generous space and utility, the E320 wagon is an excellent alternative to SUV's. The super smooth ride is really sweet and acceleration is very strong.

Suggested Improvements

Wagon should have standard tinted rear windows like SUV's.

definitely not a Toyota
By bdkman

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Wagon AWD

Nice ride, comfort & decent traction,reliability is lacking.I have had Japanese designed & manufactured cars for the past 10 years or so so I was expecting the Benz to be comparable - not so.The car is plagued with little annoying problems that I won't tolerate.Like an old set of Christmas lights I never know which light will not be out next. Sunroof broke just out of warrany $300, engine gives off a nice blue smoke cloud when it starts, CD changer broke(CD's entombed inside, various unexplained glitches in the stability control electronics & in the electronic throttle control. Low fuel pressure trips Engine Light too!

Favorite Features

Looks clasy, decent traction with AWD but should have better type of tires to do a good job, very comfortable seats, lots of room in the back seat and in the cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Make the lights at least as reliable as the ones on my 1970 Dodge Dart I used to drive in College, improve dashboard controls (you have to read the label on every button to use them) get rid of engine problems.